Shooter: Tracy Claeys has Washington State fourth in defense in the Pac 12

Claeys and the Pirate are a good combo. 6-1.

I'm jealous...

Was flipping back and forth between Ducks/Cougars and Boilers/Buckeyes for entirety of both.

A lot of familiar looking action (to a Gophers fan) on D for the Cougars.

The announcers were noting how they were "undersized" but effective in their assignments. Claeys was certainly given credit for their level of play.

BTW, really fun watching Purdue put tOSU away. Urban's multiple expressions of disbelief were priceless. Probably a gif or two born last night.

Claeys should have done more to keep his job at Minnesota.
He didn't do enough.

“9 wins”. IALTO

around here it’s like some magic wand people wave around.

like some mythical power that meant the program was about to run off a number of years of domination in the B1G West.

Claeys was 9 - 4 in his first year as a head coach and he won a good bowl . It cost approximately $5,000,000 to replace his staff and hire Fleck.

Why didn't Flecks coaches come with him from Western Michigan?

Minnesota coordinators Sawvill and Johnson are with major winning programs. Thank you Coyle for getting rid of an experienced winning staff.

9-4 and still didn't keep his job.

Has to be something more that he wasn't doing correctly otherwise he would have been extended no doubt.

That experienced winning staff won 40% of their conference games.

Claeys was 9 - 4 in his first year as a head coach and he won a good bowl . It cost approximately $5,000,000 to replace his staff and hire Fleck.

Why didn't Flecks coaches come with him from Western Michigan?

Minnesota coordinators Sawvill and Johnson are with major winning programs. Thank you Coyle for getting rid of an experienced winning staff.

Wake Forest fired defensive coordinator Jay Sawvel after Notre Dame but don’t let facts get in the way of a good pile on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claeys was an interim stopgap with a terrible incoming class who embarrassed the University by his complete mishandling of the sex scandal and player boycott. He was completely silent, and never stood up to take a stand either way outside of a weak statement on Twitter. The team and university needed him and he did nothing. He wasn’t fired because he was fat, he was fired because he was spineless.

The guy had zero leadership qualities to promote and elevate the team. A head coach at the college level needs to have charisma and character, Claeys is not a head football coach. He seems to be a great defensive coordinator and Leach has enough charisma so he can just sit back in the shadows.

Claeys was an interim stopgap with a terrible incoming class who embarrassed the University by his complete mishandling of the sex scandal and player boycott. He was completely silent, and never stood up to take a stand either way outside of a weak statement on Twitter. The team and university needed him and he did nothing. He wasn’t fired because he was fat, he was fired because he was spineless.

The guy had zero leadership qualities to promote and elevate the team. A head coach at the college level needs to have charisma and character, Claeys is not a head football coach. He seems to be a great defensive coordinator and Leach has enough charisma so he can just sit back in the shadows.

There are all kinds of very successful head coaches who don't qualify as charismatic.

Claeys stated at the time it was about a fair process for the players, something you chuckleheads apparently don’t care for. He was right, you and the mob were wrong. That staff stood up for their players - what a concept!

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/12/18/tracy-claeys-boycott-job/

Players stated the brief boycott was due to Coyle’s smarmy, dismissive attitude.

Claeys ridiculous tweet was one of the dumbest things ever done by a head coach.

Is 4th in the Pac 12 good? WSU was 2nd in the Pac 12 in YPG allowed last year.

Not misinterpreted.

It was idiotic.

Can you explain why it was idiotic? It can be argued using twitter for any meaningful conversation is idiotic because simpletons looking to be outraged will certainly find that, but it was pretty clear to me what he was trying to say. I’m genuinely curious.

Doesn’t have anything to do with what he was trying to say. The fact that he did it through social media is the idiotic thing.

He should have came back to Minnesota to deal with the issue. Instead he stayed away and IIRC Claeys himself has said that was a mistake.

Doesn’t have anything to do with what he was trying to say. The fact that he did it through social media is the idiotic thing.

He should have came back to Minnesota to deal with the issue. Instead he stayed away and IIRC Claeys himself has said that was a mistake.

I agree coaches and players should probably use flip phones and ban themselves from tweeting, instagramming, and the like.

Claeys stated at the time it was about a fair process for the players, something you chuckleheads apparently don’t care for. He was right, you and the mob were wrong. That staff stood up for their players - what a concept!

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/12/18/tracy-claeys-boycott-job/

Players stated the brief boycott was due to Coyle’s smarmy, dismissive attitude.

Since you quoted me with this response, you completely missed the point. Your article proves my point.

The bad-mouthing by some in this thread of our former coach is indicative of the reason why GOPHER football fans always get what GOPHER football fans so richly deserve. This is one of the TRUTHS of The history of Big Ten football at the U of M during the past half century as witnessed by this foolish old man. We are given what we deserve.

Last edited:

Since you quoted me with this response, you completely missed the point. Your article proves my point.

I think you’re projecting some of your prejudices onto the players, coaches actions and words. That is, the players are for rape, Claeys doesn’t care about victims, etc, etc. Its faux outrage and misses the point. The sad part is the boycott could have been avoided if Coyle could communicate the process effectively to the players. As we’ve seen he is incapable of cogently explaining something even when asked numerous times, or perhaps is too sensitive about saying something that could be used against him he freezes up in public or avoids speaking entirely.

Last edited:

The sad part is the boycott could have been avoided if Coyle could communicate the process effectively to the players. As we’ve seen he is incapable of cogently explaining something even when asked numerous times, or perhaps is too sensitive about saying something that could be used against him he freezes up in public or avoids speaking entirely..

You can blame Coyle all you want but it is highly unlikely there would have been any talk of a boycott if Kill or Fleck had been coaching the team. In all probability they would have known what the process was themselves, but if they didn't, they would have made damn well sure that Coyle and a U lawyer was there to explain it to their players The head coach of every sport should know what the disciplinary process is in great detail and they have the primary responsibility to know what their players are thinking and to do whatever is necessary to deal with problems and issues that are affecting them.

I heard Glen Mason say two different times on the radio that if he was coach during that time he would have taken the first plane back from San Diego and personally informed every player on the team that if they boycotted the bowl game they would never play in another football game for the Gophers. Mason and Kill were leaders of young men and Fleck appears to be the same. Claeys never had control of his team on or off the field during the entire year he was head coach. Apparently, it was not a skill he ever had to learn during the two decades he worked for Kill.

Last edited:

Top Bottom