Obviously people are pissed off, always good to listen to guy in charge

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/GopherFootball/videos/1131820913642725/

Coach Fleck Press Conference.
I always found Kill’s pressers insightful and I find Fleck’s that way too. Always good to get the take of the guy in charge. It’s 1 game. Tuned in late, didn’t know Shenault was out. I’ll seriously judge Fleck during 2020 and 2021. Best thing people who want this program to succeed can do now is fully support it. Support this program and team. Today was 1 game. Back home this week! Friday night. A night game! Show up and support! Don’t bitch, cry, and whine.

Go Gophers! Ski U Mah! Row the Boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I always found Kill’s pressers insightful and I find Fleck’s that way too. Always good to get the take of the guy in charge. It’s 1 game. Tuned in late, didn’t know Shenault was out. I’ll seriously judge Fleck during 2020 and 2021. Best thing people who want this program to succeed can do now is fully support it. Support this program and team. Today was 1 game. Back home this week! Friday night. A night game! Show up and support! Don’t bitch, cry, and whine.

Are you PJ Fleck in disguise?

I wanna believe that, but with my father since day one calling him Brewster 2.0 and angry anytime he's on TV, it makes it harder and harder for fans like me to wait. On top of that, it's hard when he doesn't have the guts to fire the defensive coordinator or faith that he will find a good replacement, if he does in fact fire him. He failed on his first attempt badly and didn't take the Western Michigan coach with him. So, why should I have faith in his next pick?

Honestly, it's too bad Tracy couldn't come back and just be our defensive coordinator.

Gophers are 0-4 in the B1G and got worse as the season went on last year too. 0-4. All four are just one game each. They have a chance to string 9 of these one game situations together to match Brewster’s 2007 0-8 B1G campaign.

Just an update to my numbers from a previous post.

Fleck now 2-11 in Big Ten games. 6 consecutive conference losses by a combined 243-86.

I’m still not sure what they saw in him at WMU. 13-1 is nice but you are playing MAC schools. Other than maybe Northwestern he did not beat anyone of significance at WMU and NW always loses an early game to a inferior team.

I’m not sure what to think at this point. I said in the game thread that I viewed this as an early crossroads game for PJ in his time here, where you win and feel the program is getting back on the right path and progressing as expected this year but this was always the risk if we lost. No matter how good Nebraska really is and whether the 0-6 start was a fluke or not...there’s really no way of spinning losing to a winless team. So doubt is inevitably setting in and now we find out how good of a coach PJ really is. Can he keep this young team and I’d say some lame duck coaches locked in despite the lack of results? Can he hang onto some of our better commits? Difficult spot he’s in.

I remain a believer in him but I’m starting to worry. Hope things shift for the better moving forward. Le sigh

Mark Coyle is a dud, and he hires bad football coaches that cannot coach in the Big 10 just like Joel Maturi. Fleck is in over his head so far, he doesn't have the chops to coach Big 10 football. He better get the chops or find coordinator that has them that can gameplan. At this point Fleck looks like a weak head coach that cannot get it done. I hope I am wrong, but this is worse than Wacker level defenses. N Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Most importantly...did he say who the Nekton of the Week was?

Coach Fleck Press Conference.

Good lord, what a pollyanna. You'll judge him in 2020 or 2021? That means he gets a pass for his first three seasons (as a reminder, it's 2018 now)? You should realize that Fleck, based on what he is paid, is supposed to be competitive with his peers, not just do a better job than most Gopher fans may do

Mark Coyle is a dud, and he hires bad football coaches that cannot coach in the Big 10 just like Joel Maturi. Fleck is in over his head so far, he doesn't have the chops to coach Big 10 football. He better get the chops or find coordinator that has them that can gameplan. At this point Fleck looks like a weak head coach that cannot get it done. I hope I am wrong, but this is worse than Wacker level defenses. N Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
The "it's all on me" schtick has gotten old. Of course it's all on you, coach. And coaches who can't win games get fired. Now, we all know it's all on you. What are you going to do about it? Are you going to whine about being so young? It's all on you, coach. Are you going to whine about people being picked on for being weak and ignorant? It's all on you. What are you going to do about it?
Coach...fix the problem or expect someone to be in your job spot sooner than later.

Good lord, what a pollyanna. You'll judge him in 2020 or 2021? That means he gets a pass for his first three seasons (as a reminder, it's 2018 now)? You should realize that Fleck, based on what he is paid, is supposed to be competitive with his peers, not just do a better job than most Gopher fans may do

+1

Folks act like Fleck inherited Macalaster's roster from T. Claeys. They were coming off a 9 win season and bowl victory over the Fighting Mike Leach's.

Jeff Brohm was hired at Purdue at the same time Fleck came to the U. Look at what Brohm inherited compared to Fleck. I don't see excuses and propaganda coming from West Lafayette.

I’ll seriously judge Fleck during 2020 and 2021.

That just guarantees the re-build is that much more painful. If we don't win a game this year, by 2020 we will have regressed further than any damage caused by Brewster. PJ has show zero ability to game plan or "out-coach" the guy on the other sidelines. The performance this year shows his ability to develop players is non-existent. His sole promise, like Brewster, was recruiting and attitude. That works in year 1, by then end of year 2, that has a SERIOUS impact on the players you can recruit into your system. If you have a staff like Mason, that can be okay because you actually develop your talent turning turds into apple pie. Our stadium is built, our athletes village is built. We have great facilities and a fully supportive Admin. PJ HAS ZERO EXCUSES. He needs to win, period.

That just guarantees the re-build is that much more painful. If we don't win a game this year, by 2020 we will have regressed further than any damage caused by Brewster. PJ has show zero ability to game plan or "out-coach" the guy on the other sidelines. The performance this year shows his ability to develop players is non-existent. His sole promise, like Brewster, was recruiting and attitude. That works in year 1, by then end of year 2, that has a SERIOUS impact on the players you can recruit into your system. If you have a staff like Mason, that can be okay because you actually develop your talent turning turds into apple pie. Our stadium is built, our athletes village is built. We have great facilities and a fully supportive Admin. PJ HAS ZERO EXCUSES. He needs to win, period.

Patience Grass Hopper. We start a walk on true freshman at QB. Coach could have recruited someone better, but he did not. If we still suck after another year, call for his head.

Patience Grass Hopper. We start a walk on true freshman at QB. Coach could have recruited someone better, but he did not. If we still suck after another year, call for his head.

With the exception of the QB situation this is an Evergreen post.

I think it's good that we've gotten to this point because now everyone has gotten their adequate chance to complain.

Just as people are tired of hearing PJ say we are young, we all have now heard that the fans of the Gophers will not tolerate PJ's poor performance enough to carry us through the rest of the season and next.

The only unfortunate thing is it doesn't really matter and he's still going to be coaching here next year and the year after.

+1

Folks act like Fleck inherited Macalaster's roster from T. Claeys. They were coming off a 9 win season and bowl victory over the Fighting Mike Leach's.

Jeff Brohm was hired at Purdue at the same time Fleck came to the U. Look at what Brohm inherited compared to Fleck. I don't see excuses and propaganda coming from West Lafayette.

If you are of the viewpoint that the football program wasn't having issues when Fleck was hired, then there was no reason to move on from Claeys. In that case, you would need to have a concern with Mark Coyle for the change. That topic was addressed elsewhere.

If you have a different coach you wished he hired instead of Fleck at the time they moved on from Claeys, please advise.

Agreed, except for the fact that some on this board never get tired of complaining.

I still believe in PJ, I'm convinced better things are on the horizon. He needs to hold his staff accountable though.

Too much Brewster in him for my liking. I tuned him out after the "Row the Boat" memes

If you are of the viewpoint that the football program wasn't having issues when Fleck was hired, then there was no reason to move on from Claeys. In that case, you would need to have a concern with Mark Coyle for the change. That topic was addressed elsewhere.

If you have a different coach you wished he hired instead of Fleck at the time they moved on from Claeys, please advise.

Same reason the Twins fired Molitor. The guy(s) in charge wanted their own guy as the HC. Coyle did not hire Kill/Claeys and owed him nothing. Not saying Claeys was Bear Bryant. Just pointing out that Fleck did not inherit the complete mess that Kill or even Brewster inherited but results to date are actually worse. Fleck had one nice season in the MAC beating up on MAC teams and parlayed that into a Big Ten gig. Hat tip to him!

I still believe in PJ, I'm convinced better things are on the horizon. He needs to hold his staff accountable though.

In the video I believe Chip asked him if he still has faith in Robb Smith.
PJ said absolutely. He has faith in all of his coaches.
(What else can he say, right?)

PJ is to blame in the pickle of whether they should be taking of redshirts.

What he's appearing to do is playing guys like Jordan Howden who seems overmatched and they are running base defenses to avoid pulling redshirts.
So PJ is taking the blame on that but is still holding to his vision of not cutting longer term chances for success for immediate needs right now.

I don't know who the possibly players are that could be helping, but they might not be any better at this stage so burning redshirts for the 50-50 chance they are better might not be a solution.

Shenault was out with a head injury. So that sucks as well. Could carry to Friday.

Too much Brewster in him for my liking. I tuned him out after the "Row the Boat" memes

Cool.

Please do your best to trash the coach in the meantime to aid the football program, or come back when the next coach is hired.

Same reason the Twins fired Molitor. The guy(s) in charge wanted their own guy as the HC. Coyle did not hire Kill/Claeys and owed him nothing. Not saying Claeys was Bear Bryant. Just pointing out that Fleck did not inherit the complete mess that Kill or even Brewster inherited but results to date are actually worse. Fleck had one nice season in the MAC beating up on MAC teams and parlayed that into a Big Ten gig. Hat tip to him!

So here's the main issue.

Are we supposed to be angry at PJ for telling the truth that this team was going to get younger (and probably worse) before it got better.
Or are we supposed to be angry at Coyle for allowing PJ to take the job when PJ outlined that if he was going to hire him, PJ was going to do things his way which is essentially a total rebuild of the program.

In PJ's press conference he said it "wasn't" a total rebuild, but that seems to be the area where he was closest to lying because this feels like a pretty big rebuild at this point, but other than that moment, he's essentially been consistent in that "Year zero, year 1, we're young, Freshman, freshman, freshman, we'll get younger before we get older," narrative.

PJ's an easy guy to hate, but we're essentially doing the same thing we've done for every other coach we wanted fired. Setup our arguments to display their incapability of turning around the program and pounce at our opportunities to exclaim them as soon as they arrive.

OP is exactly right. It is hard to hear and it isn’t as satisfying as a FIRING would be, because fans need to hold people accountable! But he’s right. It’s not Pollyanna. This was a disastrous performance. But we move on, we grow, and have to trust PJ to do what is best for the program.

I've always been suspicious of coaches who come in with the idea of getting rid of everything the previous coaching staff did, burn down the house, take the losses, and give yourself 3-4 years to implement "his program". Its not his program. Its the taxpayer's program. Its the school's program.

When Callahan took over at Nebraska, he erased references to Solich and Osborn. He bombed. When Brewster got here he burned down
the Mason program and went 1-11 his first year. He bombed.

When Wacker was here, he was a very likable coach but even into his fifth season he was telling everyone how young the team was, loaded with freshmen and maybe sophomores. You know what that says? That the program isn't developing the talent into juniors and seniors. At Michigan, Bo used to say that your team is only as good as your seniors. When you have few seniors, what do you have?

My apprehension is that in 2020 and 2021, Fleck will still be telling us how young his team is. Frankly, I see some good freshmen out there who I think will have a hard time even making it to their junior and senior seasons. They're getting hurt from being over-exposed. They transfer out.

Its very likely that the ONLY reason the Gophers won 5 games last season was because of the holdovers from Kill/Claeys, and that they were enough to prevent disaster.

Here's an opposite example....Texas A&M. Jimbo Fischer didn't come in there and tear down everything Sumlin did. Rather, he took what Sumlin had left him and made it BETTER. Good coaches KNOW they don't have all the answers. He has improved that team and has made no built-in time frames for winning. When a coach tells you it takes 2-3 years to win, what they are doing is making excuses for losing.

When you make such excuses, the team DOES pick up on that. When you don't have success by a certain time, they lose faith in the coach. That time may very well be nearing. Nobody is saying they need to be 6-2, but at least concrete progress. The team is regressing.

A good, experienced, no-nonsense coach would have inherited the 9-4 team, perhaps cleaned out those that needed to go, but would have built upon that right away. But, you get those coaches who just "know it all" and believe that the coaching profession began with them.

At least when Mason and Kill took over, they took over losing teams and showed immediate improvement on the field that showed everyone they were going somewhere. Mason almost beat Penn State his first season in Happy Valley. Kill's teams played with intensity. Remember, Jerry Kill also came in with established principles for his program, and his team lived them. What happened to Claeys was really not indicative of what the program had largely been.

We've seen this show before. Not just at the U, but at countless other schools who had been taken in by that "one in a gazillion coach" who just "knew it all". Creative slogans are no substitute for true fundamentals and growth. If things don't change soon, we'll be rowing the boat alright, right over Niagara Falls.

Traditionally, the best coaching tenures at the U have featured, solid, tough-minded no-nonsense football coaches who had teams that reflected that. Whenever this school tried to get cute, it met with failure...sometimes humiliating failure. This even applies to modern times. I'm still hoping that maybe this team will scrape bottom and start on its way back up. That's my hope. But I've been a student of this program, and of CFB, long enough to know what I'm seeing compared to what I've seen before.

Enough of my pedestal. I've been chased off this board enough to know my welcome is often very short-lived.

+1

Jeff’s Brohm didn’t start 7 freshmen on offense just saying.

I've always been suspicious of coaches who come in with the idea of getting rid of everything the previous coaching staff did, burn down the house, take the losses, and give yourself 3-4 years to implement "his program". Its not his program. Its the taxpayer's program. Its the school's program.

When Callahan took over at Nebraska, he erased references to Solich and Osborn. He bombed. When Brewster got here he burned down
the Mason program and went 1-11 his first year. He bombed.

When Wacker was here, he was a very likable coach but even into his fifth season he was telling everyone how young the team was, loaded with freshmen and maybe sophomores. You know what that says? That the program isn't developing the talent into juniors and seniors. At Michigan, Bo used to say that your team is only as good as your seniors. When you have few seniors, what do you have?

My apprehension is that in 2020 and 2021, Fleck will still be telling us how young his team is. Frankly, I see some good freshmen out there who I think will have a hard time even making it to their junior and senior seasons. They're getting hurt from being over-exposed. They transfer out.

Its very likely that the ONLY reason the Gophers won 5 games last season was because of the holdovers from Kill/Claeys, and that they were enough to prevent disaster.

Here's an opposite example....Texas A&M. Jimbo Fischer didn't come in there and tear down everything Sumlin did. Rather, he took what Sumlin had left him and made it BETTER. Good coaches KNOW they don't have all the answers. He has improved that team and has made no built-in time frames for winning. When a coach tells you it takes 2-3 years to win, what they are doing is making excuses for losing.

When you make such excuses, the team DOES pick up on that. When you don't have success by a certain time, they lose faith in the coach. That time may very well be nearing. Nobody is saying they need to be 6-2, but at least concrete progress. The team is regressing.

A good, experienced, no-nonsense coach would have inherited the 9-4 team, perhaps cleaned out those that needed to go, but would have built upon that right away. But, you get those coaches who just "know it all" and believe that the coaching profession began with them.

At least when Mason and Kill took over, they took over losing teams and showed immediate improvement on the field that showed everyone they were going somewhere. Mason almost beat Penn State his first season in Happy Valley. Kill's teams played with intensity. Remember, Jerry Kill also came in with established principles for his program, and his team lived them. What happened to Claeys was really not indicative of what the program had largely been.

We've seen this show before. Not just at the U, but at countless other schools who had been taken in by that "one in a gazillion coach" who just "knew it all". Creative slogans are no substitute for true fundamentals and growth. If things don't change soon, we'll be rowing the boat alright, right over Niagara Falls.

Traditionally, the best coaching tenures at the U have featured, solid, tough-minded no-nonsense football coaches who had teams that reflected that. Whenever this school tried to get cute, it met with failure...sometimes humiliating failure. This even applies to modern times. I'm still hoping that maybe this team will scrape bottom and start on its way back up. That's my hope. But I've been a student of this program, and of CFB, long enough to know what I'm seeing compared to what I've seen before.

Enough of my pedestal. I've been chased off this board enough to know my welcome is often very short-lived.

A solid post, but Kill didn’t show any improvement in year 1. Year 1 was a disaster, including a loss to NMSU. It was year 2 when we saw improvement. Kill also made it clear he was doing things his way.

They lost most of their starting defense. Worst recruiting classes in the Big Ten for years. About to beat Ohio State.

That early loss to N'western is going to haunt them, but even with it they may win the West. Meanwhile, we're in the cellar and the bottom 3 of the Big Ten. It's a good comparison to see their progress vs ours.

I just can’t take the endless mediocrity any longer. If there was a glimmer of hope that they were about to turn the corner I’d be ok, but 32 years into this crap as a fan of Gopher football it’s just the same old song that will seemingly never change.

OP is exactly right. It is hard to hear and it isn’t as satisfying as a FIRING would be, because fans need to hold people accountable! But he’s right. It’s not Pollyanna. This was a disastrous performance. But we move on, we grow, and have to trust PJ to do what is best for the program.

Nobody is talking about firing the head coach after two seasons. That's unrealistic. But he doesn't deserve four or five years to show competitiveness.

Top Bottom