Obviously people are pissed off, always good to listen to guy in charge

The disconnect between Fleck and the vast majority of fans who are either angry or apathetic is that fans accept that being young results in losses, but the being young mantra has been extended to why we can't even be competitive.

8 losses by 14 or more points in a year and half, and 5 of those over by over 20.

How again did Fleck choose to rebuild? What upperclassmen did he run off that are having success elsewhere?

This is a rebuild because only 41% of the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes are left. Many of those recruits were gone before Fleck was even hired.

Getting beat by 25 points by another team in the midst of a rebuild is where the narrative gets a little iffy.

Are people really pissed off? I don’t understand why people take this game so personally.

One of my (several) issues with PJ is he is perhaps not a student of the game like the prior staff. We’d always hear how Claeys and Kill would travel around the country observing how others practice, picking their brains, etc.

PJ on the other hand at a very young age is such usually the top-billed motivational speaker at conferences. He comes across as...cocksure. That’s all I’ll say. I’m not sure if he’s into the nuts and bolts aspect? Is he into self-improvement or is he always the instructor. He’s still learning the profession while K-C were experienced hands and had a solid if not quite spectacular system.

Listen GWG, Fleck isn't going anywhere soon and I hope he gets this turned around, it is just the "this is all part of the plan" thing that I am arguing against. We need to be more competitive and prepared even as we rebuild because those are traits that are going to continue even after the talent level is ready to go.

As others has said, Fleck has to show he can adapt and adjust to the B1G and a power-5 conference.

saying "it worked at WMU" is great - but MN is not WMU. the B1G is not the MAC. some things that worked at WMU may work at MN - but some things that worked at WMU may not work at MN.

Fleck (IMHO) has to show that he is capable of self-analysis, and is willing to look at new ideas.

I understand a lot of this is open to interpretation, but when Fleck was hired, I think a lot of people thought the U was getting a really bright, young coach who would move the program in a positive direction - take what Kill and Claeys did, and build on it. A remodeling - not a total rebuild.

Instead, Fleck came in and basically tore down the house and started building from the cellar up. Not saying it's a bad plan, but it's not what most people expected. I thought - and I think a lot of people thought - that the program would be further along by this point. Not expecting Gophers to win a conference title in year 2 - but I was expecting to see growth - to see what a Fleck-coached team would look like. Establishing an identity.

Fleck will get at least 4 years to prove if his system can work. Coyle would not fire him unless there was a Brewster-level collapse. But, if the program doesn't show some clear and definite growth over the next year or 2 years, Fleck and Coyle are going to be under a real microscope - especially with the U of M getting ready to hire a new president who will have no loyalty to Coyle or Fleck.

The hard part for Coyle is sometime next season PJ is going to look for a contract extension. He is going to get at least next year and the year after. My guess is if he gets off to a good start again next season, we will see a contract extension, then if Big 10 season goes south, what do you do?

He is resigning his position as president, according to many news reports to that effect. Fake news?

He is stepping down as president (after giving nearly a full year's notice), serving as president emeritus for a year largely in a fundraising role, and then serving on the CSE faculty after a sabbatical. He will be working at the University of Minnesota for many years to come. Saying that he's "resigning" is misleading at best and dishonest at worst. Moreover, gopherveteran's repeated implications that it has anything to do with athletics are patently false and absurd.

He is stepping down as president (after giving nearly a full year's notice), serving as president emeritus for a year largely in a fundraising role, and then serving on the CSE faculty after a sabbatical. He will be working at the University of Minnesota for many years to come. Saying that he's "resigning" is misleading at best and dishonest at worst. Moreover, gopherveteran's repeated implications that it has anything to do with athletics are patently false and absurd.

While I agree nothing about this situation suggests the decision is Kaler’s voluntary decision, and to suggest otherwise is something I can agree is wrong, he is in fact resigning as president of the university.

Resign: -verb 3. to give up (an office, position, etc.), often formally.

Hence my confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good lord, what a pollyanna. You'll judge him in 2020 or 2021? That means he gets a pass for his first three seasons (as a reminder, it's 2018 now)? You should realize that Fleck, based on what he is paid, is supposed to be competitive with his peers, not just do a better job than most Gopher fans may do

If Urban keeps it up in Columbus . . .

Getting beat by 25 points by another team in the midst of a rebuild is where the narrative gets a little iffy.

Don't have the#, but it only becomes iffy if the retention numbers are essentially equal.

Don't have the#, but it only becomes iffy if the retention numbers are essentially equal.

Well I have seen all but a few quarters of Nebraska football this year and if they aren't rebuilding they have ALOT of people fooled.

What about getting beat by 29 when you are the #3 team in the nation against a non-ranked team who is in their 2nd year of a "rebuild" using a mostly Junior and Senior laden team?

What about getting beat by 29 when you are the #3 team in the nation against a non-ranked team who is in their 2nd year of a "rebuild" using a mostly Junior and Senior laden team?

Beat by an up and coming coach with substance rather than tired memes

Stop hiring snake oil salesmen. 2 of the last 3 permanent hires now

How again did Fleck choose to rebuild? What upperclassmen did he run off that are having success elsewhere?

This is a rebuild because only 41% of the 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes are left. Many of those recruits were gone before Fleck was even hired.

Agreed 100%! This all crack me up from the mob.

So mob tell us what QB Cleays had that should be starting today?
Which WR Cleays had recruited that should be starting or how about TE?
What about Cleays forgetting to recruit lineman that we had to practice all spring with 4? Which one should be starting?

Oh on defense I can’t believe Murray and Travis didn’t come back from the NFL to play for PJ oh that’s right they graduated. Which DBs should be starting that would be juniors now Cleays recruited? These are all simple questions the mob should be able to answer?

Agreed 100%! This all crack me up from the mob.

So mob tell us what QB Cleays had that should be starting today?
Which WR Cleays had recruited that should be starting or how about TE?
What about Cleays forgetting to recruit lineman that we had to practice all spring with 4? Which one should be starting?

Oh on defense I can’t believe Murray and Travis didn’t come back from the NFL to play for PJ oh that’s right they graduated. Which DBs should be starting that would be juniors now Cleays recruited? These are all simple questions the mob should be able to answer?

++1000

Nebraska is just one game, sure...but its not just one game that is turning people off to PJ.

I've always been a patient fan with all the teams I cheer for, so I'm on board still for next year, but fully understand the people jumping off board right now.

Speaking for the mob?

as someone whose glass is always half full, it is very difficult for me to find anyone we can beat. Indiana, Illinois were two that I thought were sure wins. After yesterday’s performance I am not sure we can scrimmage ourselves and win. Without question our offensive and defensive lines were no shows. Our coaching staff were out coached — who has to call time out before a play is run after the quarter break simply because we didn’t have the right personnel in the game to run the play called in the time out. Someone questioned our weight program. I was under the impression that we had taken a step forward from the Klein era. Not sure now. As you can see, I need someone to cheer me up. I have experienced days like this before after a poor performance but not in recent memory. We didn’t win very many individual battles against at best, an average team. The future doesn’t look very bright.

Dan Barreiro has been taking his lazy approach to ripping the Gophers today on his morning show.
He was discussing how PJ made the choice to go young but that the defense isn't even that young, yet it's horrible.
He seemed to argue that PJ was playing young people in key positions because PJ wants to, as if he's passing on some really talented Juniors and Seniors that Fleck said "no thanks" to.

A little bit later he couldn't recall who the coach was after Kill... "the coordinator guy who took over for a year and was let go".

It never seemed to occur to him that the Juniors and Seniors for the program might not be here because they were never recruited or transferred out before Fleck arrived.

<b>How again did Fleck choose to rebuild? </b>What upperclassmen did he run off that are having success elsewhere?

Ask PJ. He said more than once in his post game presser yesterday that what was happening was “on him” as he is the one who decided to rebuild here “his way”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom