Let's look at the POSITIVE thread

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Okay, this might be short, but after a loss like this, let's look for some positives.

1. After horrible start, they got back into it for a bit.
2. If this defense continues to play this awful, there is very little chance PJ (or Mark Coyle for that matter) allows Robb Smith to return to coach this defense. So in my mind we are officially getting to the "It's getting so bad defensively that the DC needs to go or PJ is hanging himself which would likely cause a defensive change before next season.

That's about all I got.

We helped the Nebraska backfield get some good cardio, probably helpful for their long-term health

Positives...

QBs are getting experience in a season where we don't care about the results. So they can take chances and learn.
Offensive Line looks like it might actually be average next year as opposed to a swinging gate like we are used to.
Wide Receivers are light years better than any group in the last 10 years here.
I get to watch a Tracy Claeys defense today...

I liked a few of the less predictable calls on O. Used the TE a few times, SG catches a pass and faked hand offs on the Wildcat formation. TJ is a miracle catcher, even if he drops a few bunnies. EC looked pumped and made the PAT. OK now I'm digging deep n need to stop cuz our D gave up over 700 yards !

Positives:

Offense showed some flashes in 2nd half. tried some different things. got contribution from Douglas. Seth Green continues to produce on Wildcat. (which makes the 4th-and-goal fade pass all the more inexplicable.)

Also - I got in a nice 2-hour nap before the game.

The bathroom lines will be short Friday night!

Positives...

QBs are getting experience in a season where we don't care about the results. So they can take chances and learn.
Offensive Line looks like it might actually be average next year as opposed to a swinging gate like we are used to.

who is this "we" you speak of? I, for one, care about the results.

A positive in the second half with Morgan was probably some of the most interesting playcalling that I can remember under Ciarrocca/Fleck. Of course the counter would be, why did it take so long?

Morgan looked decent when given the chance - that option play was available all day, Douglas with the nice return that should have gone for a TD, Faalele continues to be a force. TJ had at least one nice catch.

There some hope on offense. The defense...

That’s it.

Positives...

Don’t care about results????

Not true.

On a positive note, the basketball team won their scrimmage today...

Okay, this might be short, but after a loss like this, let's look for some positives.

1. After horrible start, they got back into it for a bit.
2. If this defense continues to play this awful, there is very little chance PJ (or Mark Coyle for that matter) allows Robb Smith to return to coach this defense. So in my mind we are officially getting to the "It's getting so bad defensively that the DC needs to go or PJ is hanging himself which would likely cause a defensive change before next season.

That's about all I got.

Defense was terrible against Ohio St. Need a secondary and a D line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockey season is finally starting up.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Now when someone references the 1983 game vs Nebraska, kids have a more accurate frame of reference.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Positive from this game? No lines at the concession stands or bathrooms for future home games. We will get to watch 4+ "homecoming" games next year, assuming you like homecoming games.

Read the in-game thread. Someone actually suggested today's result would make that happen sooner.

Only an athletic department with more historical woes than the Gophers (if possible) would make the decision to hire PJ now. With all the $$$ dumped into the program over the past two years, if PJ can't make it here, he can't make it anywhere...

Tyler Johnson was pretty good, most of the game anyways.

There's some hope on offense. The defense...

Yeah, I spent some time thinking about this tonight. How far away is Minnesota, really? Thinking about Sophs and younger (so throw out TJ and Coughlin, for example), there's obvious signs of life on O with some (probably) future all conference caliber players in Bateman, Faalele, Andries, Dunlap (although that's speculation), CAB. I like Ibrahim a lot. Need better QB play, but I think both guys are serviceable with another year or two of seasoning. So I've got every confidence this offense can develop into one that competes consistently in the B1G.

Defense. Ugh. Winfield is a star, of course. But unlike on O where you can rattle off 4 or 5 real impact guys, I just don't see it on D. The coaches seem very excited by Rush and Otomewo (?), so I'll take their word for it. T Smith seems to be a B1G player. Beyond that I'm struggling to identify young players who will make a huge difference in 2019 or 2020. I guess only time will tell, of course...

I'm in the boat because I'm never out, but it's tough after a day like this.

On a positive note, I worked during the game, so I got paid to not have to watch it.

Thanks for the math.

What do we do now?

DC has to go, players have to get healthy and/or grow, coaching needs better use of clock management... off the top of my head. I mean we played Ohio State tough, then flopped to Nebraska for 3 of 4 quarters. I'd have hoped for more consistency, but with so many young players and players who fit a different system, it's to be expected. Going from 5-7 to 4-8 would be a very bad thing.

Big positive: volleyball won!
Small positive: football game is over
Big positive: Lincoln is super fun. Great people and bars

Top Bottom