Let's look at the POSITIVE thread

Big positive: volleyball won!
Small positive: football game is over
Big positive: Lincoln is super fun. Great people and bars

Was watching volleyball after the game and heard that that the Gopher volleyball team has only lost 2 sets this year. Very impressive.

Thanks for the math.

What do we do now?

Well, for starters - maybe try dropping a deep safety to cut off the big plays. I'd rather play soft coverage and give up 10 yards as opposed to getting caught in too tight and give up 30 or 40 yards in 1 play. Play the LB's back a little more off the line of scrimmage. make the offense go 10-11 plays to score, as opposed to 2 or 3 plays. That may seem like a defeatist attitude, but I would rather give up a little than a lot.

We only have 5 more games left of "year 1" and "season 2 of 2018."

Was watching volleyball after the game and heard that that the Gopher volleyball team has only lost 2 sets this year. Very impressive.

Perhaps 2 sets in Big Ten play. They lost 2 matches (Oregon and Stanford) on an early season road trip. 48 sets won to 9 sets lost total. They are amazing though and have a legit chance to win the national championship which will be played at Target Center.

One game closer to a new d coordinator. That must happen ASAP

Think we still go to a bowl game based on the offense alone.

I'll give up my "donation" seats; buy cheap sec. 242 tickets and sit wherever I want next year! Saving a couple grand!

DC has to go, players have to get healthy and/or grow, coaching needs better use of clock management... off the top of my head. I mean we played Ohio State tough, then flopped to Nebraska for 3 of 4 quarters. I'd have hoped for more consistency, but with so many young players and players who fit a different system, it's to be expected. Going from 5-7 to 4-8 would be a very bad thing.

Ok, I am still hopeful of PJ but you gotta quit with this. What are you going to say if he loses with 100% of his guys? Many of the best guys are not his guys (Cashman, TJ, Coughlin, Winfield, Rodney) so what does that say? Just stop.

OK, I know that this is a stretch, and a big one. But IF, we had not had that TD called back, and especially IF we had not been jobbed on that spot, the one where we would have had a stop, and instead Nebraska drives for a TD, it might have been a little different game. We had some momentum, but are not yet good enough to overcome bad calls and stupid penalties. Fleck has some work to do, but I'm not ready to give up. Go Gophers!

We still have 3 of our 4 home games left.

We are done with three of our 5 road games.

It's a short week until out next game.

The winds have dropped, the temps are up and the Queen's have beat the Jets.

Ok, I am still hopeful of PJ but you gotta quit with this. What are you going to say if he loses with 100% of his guys? Many of the best guys are not his guys (Cashman, TJ, Coughlin, Winfield, Rodney) so what does that say? Just stop.

The Kill/Claeys era had a different type of player for many of their positions. Some required size over speed, and vice versa. Mason's OL is a great example. Their form of blocking didn't require size, so much as agility. It most definitely is relevant in this case, hence why every coach who implements a new system needs 2-3 years of the right type of player for their system to show improvement.

Demetrius Douglass probably had his best game as a Gopher, the receiving crew is solid.

Demetrius Douglass probably had his best game as a Gopher, the receiving crew is solid.

I was wondering during the game what would would be if DD82 played CB instead of WR. IIRC, that is the position Oregon was going to play him at and the position he was rated higher at out of HS. It also happens to be a position of real need on the Gophers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAB, Bateman, and Douglass are three sound receivers for us to build around. Right side of O-line looks solid.

Now we need young defensive players to start giving us something to wish upon.

A positive in the second half with Morgan was probably some of the most interesting playcalling that I can remember under Ciarrocca/Fleck. Of course the counter would be, why did it take so long?

I think the answer to that is simple. Morgan still has a better grasp of the playbook than Annexstad due to having a year under the system already. Because of that, they could call some more creative plays.

Obviously up until now there was something in practices that kept Annexstad as the starter, or maybe it was a "Morgan looks good, but hasn't done anything in practice to prove he deserves the spot over Annexstad" type deal. Maybe this past game changes that, maybe it doesn't.

Top Bottom