Morgan vs Annexstad

Annexstad needs to toughen up. He will always have some sort of nagging injury, like most other QBs. I’m guessing he usually had a clean pocket in high school. This isn’t IMG. Maybe he’ll grow a pair by next season.

FYI, I’m talking about the ankle. What happened today sounds potentially more serious.

Yeah, I’m sure I’ll get trashed by someone for this. Don’t care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fleck should not have continued playing him as soon as he was clearly limping and limiting his mobility. That is on Fleck.

PJ has definitely shown an inclination to put injured players out there to the detriment of not only the team but the player (Durr, Zack). I don’t understand it. Morgan looked pretty comparable/better in a small sample size. If he had simply rested ZA his ankle may have been approaching normalcy by now (and perhaps we have an extra win or two or at least more competitive contests).

Yup. All on pj

If the Gophers can three wins I'll I'll be satisfied given the injury situation. If Shannon Brooks is able to play, the RB will have an experienced RB for the rest of the season, at least four games.

Running backs really aren't the problem. I agree with what someone else posted: unless Brooks plays DB, inserting him isn't addressing our significant deficiencies. In case you haven't noticed, Ibrahim is pretty good and Williams certainly isn't terrible. I'd rather have that backfield than a guy who has played 6 games over the last two seasons. Just because you like him doesn't mean he is the answer to our prayers.

I don’t get your post. Annexstad has been playing pretty much all year with a bad ankle. He’s been playing through it, what else do you want? Isn’t playing through an injury being tough? Ankle injuries can last all season.

Because I get the impression he’s not at the point where he can play well enough through injuries to justify leaving him in there. The great ones still find a way to get it done. Maybe I’m being unfair. I’m fine with laying the blame on Fleck for continuing to play him. I like what he showed early in the season. Too bad it’s too late to redshirt him.

At this point in the season (and Year 1) I am not sure what to think about our QB situation. While I feel like Annexstad, and now Morgan, provide us with more upside than we have seen among our QBs in some time, this TEAM continues to disappoint and both seem to 'fizzle' when we need them most. Getting beat, badly, by Maryland and now Nebraska (neither of which is a 'great' team) is a kick in the gut! If we continue to get beat badly by middle-of-the-road Big 10 Teams, we are doomed. I think one of two things is true: Either we a) don't have near the 'talent' of the middle-of-the-road Big 10 Teams....or b) we are getting badly outcoached by the middle-of-the-road Big 10 Teams. Either way, that scares me into thinking about Year 2, 3, 4, etc...are we going to be this bad for P.J.'s entire tenure? I like P.J., I want to believe, and I will continue to root for my beloved rodents win, lose, or tie! I am not going anywhere! But, the last four games have been tough--we show glimpses of being a decent football team but ultimately lose (and sometimes lose big, to 'average' teams). As for Tanner and Annexstad, I think either might be 'the answer' or neither might be 'viable'...and I'd say it's 50-50. With the rest of the team underperforming (every unit that I can think of, except WRs), will it even matter that we have a legitimate QB?

At this point in the season (and Year 1) I am not sure what to think about our QB situation. While I feel like Annexstad, and now Morgan, provide us with more upside than we have seen among our QBs in some time, this TEAM continues to disappoint and both seem to 'fizzle' when we need them most. Getting beat, badly, by Maryland and now Nebraska (neither of which is a 'great' team) is a kick in the gut! If we continue to get beat badly by middle-of-the-road Big 10 Teams, we are doomed. I think one of two things is true: Either we a) don't have near the 'talent' of the middle-of-the-road Big 10 Teams....or b) we are getting badly outcoached by the middle-of-the-road Big 10 Teams. Either way, that scares me into thinking about Year 2, 3, 4, etc...are we going to be this bad for P.J.'s entire tenure? I like P.J., I want to believe, and I will continue to root for my beloved rodents win, lose, or tie! I am not going anywhere! But, the last four games have been tough--we show glimpses of being a decent football team but ultimately lose (and sometimes lose big, to 'average' teams). As for Tanner and Annexstad, I think either might be 'the answer' or neither might be 'viable'...and I'd say it's 50-50. With the rest of the team underperforming (every unit that I can think of, except WRs), will it even matter that we have a legitimate QB?
Eventually, the QB can matter. I would compare Annexstad and Morgan to Hornibrook of Wisconsin as potentially satisfactory QB's. It takes a solid OL, good RB's, excellent receivers, and a defense which can avoid putting the offense in a hole. The first 3 are developing, the defense is clearly a disaster. As those areas improve, I can see an outstanding QB making a huge difference. I think that QB may be Jacob Clark. When Rivals came to watch his game, he exploded for 365 yards. Clark is the first player mentioned on the list of 5 Texas players whose rankings should go up. Remember that U recruited 2 QB's---Duggan and Clark. TCU got the one they wanted, but Clark isn't a bad consolation prize
Changing the defensive coordinator may help, but you also need more talent. There has to be a significant reason that the Gophers' defense looks better against teams like Iowa and Ohio State than against Maryland and Nebraska. The 2019 DL recruits sound promising, plus Nubin at DB. What will it take'?

Is PJ prepared to let Morgan have a go after so much flattery and national attention went to Annexstad at the start?

Is PJ prepared to let Morgan have a go after so much flattery and national attention went to Annexstad at the start?

I'd guess he's going to punt at let the medical staff decide. If they say Zach can play, he'll likely start him. Part of this is learning to play while not 100% physically. Our problem is even if he was 100%, he's not good enough to carry the team on his back.

The difference I saw is that Morgan was much more decisive. Annexstad is hobbling, but he still reverts to high school periodically in thinking he can escape the rush by turning and trying to get outside the pocket. Maybe the ankle injury is the real culprit there, but college DLs and LBs are much more athletic than high school players--even at great programs--and won't often fall for that ploy.

The difference I saw is that Morgan was much more decisive. Annexstad is hobbling, but he still reverts to high school periodically in thinking he can escape the rush by turning and trying to get outside the pocket. Maybe the ankle injury is the real culprit there, but college DLs and LBs are much more athletic than high school players--even at great programs--and won't often fall for that ploy.

I suspect with guys like Faleale and Dunlap in front of him he didn't get hit much at IMG. I think he's a little shell shocked now and both unable to run very well and afraid of the even harder hits he would take if he does.

Our problem is even if he was 100%, he's not good enough to carry the team on his back.

That's correct. His lack of mobility is a real handicap and his 52% completion percentage doesn't compensate for that.

Sorry Hungan but SB isn't going to make a difference unless he plays D

Heaven help us with learning through extreme failure. It is painful to watch the carnage each week. It is painful to watch Annexstad hobbling at center. Didn't Khaki Pants at Michigan played his QB hurt a couple of seasons ago?

Robb Smith didn't exactly light up the defense at his other stops except for his first year at Arkansas with the previous DC's players. His rather unremarkable career has only one one common thread. He was at Rutgers with Fleck for a time. For goodness sake, the Purdue Boilermaker Defense has a killer mentality. The Gophers are Mild Minks.

How long is PJ going to keep Robb Smith around? His Emergency 911 Bell should have been ringing after the Maryland and Iowa blowouts. Recruiting is one thing. Coaching is another big deal. There is no Nekton Mentality except for a couple of guys after Winfield went down.

At this rate, expect a 0-9 conference finish. The Gophers need to go to a bowl game, but forget beating Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, and Wisconsin at the rate they are getting blown out. Even Illinois is not a sure thing.

Lordy, they need an extreme miracle.

Last edited:

What do we think after the Indiana game? Tanner Morgan looked better tonight then Zach has in any game this year. That's my take.

Tanner is in the lead, but I need to see it for more than one game. Take care of business against two inferior teams over the next two weeks, and I’ll be sold.

Tanner completed a long ball. Zach still hasn’t.

Tanner completed a long ball. Zach still hasn’t.

More than completed. He hit him perfectly on the run. And when you have a speedster, that's what you do...

The best QBs possess the clutch gene. A perfect deep ball in the rain when his team needed it the most. Let’s hope this is just the first of a long career full of clutch performances like that one. Gophers QBs usually fold like a house of cards in those situations.

Tanner Morgan really earned a couple notches in his belt today. 302 passing yards, 3 TD's, and a BIG win in his first start! I don't blame Fleck for starting Zach because he obviously won the preseason scrimmages and Tanner had chances in the first couple games but looked more like a third string QB. Some guys step up when the pressure is on. I guess we will have to sit and enjoy the show! Also, Shannon Brooks helped and hopefully he is OK. Looked like issues with not being in game shape to me...

It's strange as when I saw him in practice, Morgan looked nothing like today's passes.

Practice it they were floaty wobbly passes.

This game they were laser beam... wobbly passes.

I missed the game. The highlight of the deep ball was better than any deep ball annexstad has thrown all year. Morgan’s pass was perfect. Hit the receiver in stride and wasn’t underthrown. And whoever said Annexatad has a better arm than Morgan needs to get their eyes checked.

I missed the game. The highlight of the deep ball was better than any deep ball annexstad has thrown all year. Morgan’s pass was perfect. Hit the receiver in stride and wasn’t underthrown. And whoever said Annexatad has a better arm than Morgan needs to get their eyes checked.
Leidner Nelson chat!

Just the title of this thread shows the difference of Fleck vs Kill/Claeys. It is great having a highly competitive QB situation. I just dont like the drop off in the defensive back field that came with it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Does anyone have a read on their respective "IT" factors?

In a close race like this, I tend to lean toward the "IT" factor. If one guy has "IT" and the other guy doesn't, it's a no brainer.
If their "IT"'s are close, it makes for a tough decision.

The IT factor so close to Halloween. Hopefully neither has IT. -Shivers-

I’d say Annexstad has shown an “it” factor at times but Morgan has as well.

I'm excited but it was ONE game vs IU.... I want to see more of Mogan, but not on the hype train yet.

Does anyone have a read on their respective "IT" factors?

In a close race like this, I tend to lean toward the "IT" factor. If one guy has "IT" and the other guy doesn't, it's a no brainer.
If their "IT"'s are close, it makes for a tough decision.

It is odd how Fleck shows up and we see play out the QB position that fans here haven't seen in what....5...10...15 years. This alone should be an indicator that things are changing. I'd bet money that Jerry Kill has the ability to identify quality qbs but he could never convince any not named Strevler to play for him.

Top Bottom