Morgan vs Annexstad

Sparlimb

Reaction score
Clearly Morgan's best game of the year. He looked much better in half #2 then Zach looked in half #1. I didn't see what Zach's injury was, but today's game made them look a lot closer than previously thought.

Based on what I’ve seen they are both capable of the short/intermediate throws, and will make dangerous throws into traffic. The obvious difference is Morgan is a decisive and quick runner. He may not last long as a runner, but it’s a huge upgrade IMO. Do we score those TDS with ZA at QB today?

Morgan surprised me with his good play.

I'm not sold, but played well as a backup.
Our starting QB for 2020 threw for 236 yards and 4 TD's in his game yesterday.

on radio post-game show, just said it was some kind of abdominal/mid-section type of internal injury. Annexstad went to hospital to be checked out, but he's being released and should be able to fly home with team.

But, if it was serious enough to require a trip to the hospital, it certainly seems as if a week of rest should be in order - especially on a short week before a Friday game. I would expect Morgan to start - but I also expected the Gophers to show up for the first half, so I've been wrong before.

They might as well let Green be the full time QB, since the season is lost and he has proven he can make some things happen.

They might as well let Green be the full time QB, since the season is lost and he has proven he can make some things happen.

He's not a long term every down option so that would be quite silly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The obvious difference is Morgan is a decisive and quick runner. He may not last long as a runner, but it’s a huge upgrade IMO. Do we score those TDS with ZA at QB today?

Yes, Morgan is a huge upgrade.

No, I doubt we score those touchdowns with Zach in.

I don't see how Fleck can play Zach over Morgan at least in the near future. We need a QB who is a threat to run and can get out of the pocket quickly to avoid the sack. Even with a couple of bad decisions, he was 11 of 16 for 214 yards. Even on the interception, he was able to get the ball there in traffic. It was a tough catch but catchable. I think the coach needs to give this kid a chance.

That interception was 100% on Bateman. Right through the hands. Morgan did throw one up for grabs at the end of the game but could be written of as desperation. I’d prefer he eat that one but all these guys are young. Growing pains with anyone we trot out for the next year or two.

If Annexstad's ankle injury is what made him run and move the way he did today, it has to be Morgan until Annexstad is healthy. If that is just the way Annexstad moves than maybe it needs to Morgan permanently.

Annexstad proved he was the better QB to start the year. However he clearly has been way less than 100% for a long time, which affected both his throwing and his mobility. I wish Fleck would have made this change during the Maryland game.

Both Annexstad and Morgan are going to make freshman mistakes. Will they be better in Year 2 or 3? Or will one of the incoming QBs - Clark or Kramer overtake them?

I don't think PJ Fleck is satisfied with QB play. It is critical for the team to have a legitimate Dual Threat QB who is cerebral and can run or throw the long balls.

Look at how much of a difference Shea Patterson has made to Michigan. IMHO, Nebraska has a QB of the future in Martinez.

Can either Annexstad or Morgan have the same level of improvements like David Blough of Purdue?

Both Annexstad and Morgan are going to make freshman mistakes. Will they be better in Year 2 or 3? Or will one of the incoming QBs - Clark or Kramer overtake them?

I'll care about next year when that comes. I want to see this year salvaged. I still think 3 wins are possible and we shouldn't consider the rest of the season "developmental," not yet anyway.

Sindelar throws a pretty ball but has been mistake prone, Blough is a good passer and a threat with his legs. He’s also a hell of a leader.

I'll care about next year when that comes. I want to see this year salvaged. I still think 3 wins are possible and we shouldn't consider the rest of the season "developmental," not yet anyway.

If the Gophers can three wins I'll I'll be satisfied given the injury situation. If Shannon Brooks is able to play, the RB will have an experienced RB for the rest of the season, at least four games.

I'm ready to see more of Morgan at this point, Annestad has been reminding me more and more of Conor Rhoda lately.

Can’t read this whole thread but Annexstad was loaded into an ambulance on a stretcher

Morgan reminds me of the freshman QB at Iowa State. He has had a pretty good couple of games. Hopefully Morgan can follow suit.

Any news on his status? Not good at all.

I only know this because I was sent a picture of it. 99% sure it was him. No news. Wish I could report more. Hope he is healthy on the most basic level. Football comes second

Any news on his status? Not good at all.

Overheard reporters before the presser saying he was barfing before he made it to the locker room (hearsay, I didn't see it). Fleck said in the presser that he was released and expected him on the flight home.

If the Gophers can three wins I'll I'll be satisfied given the injury situation. If Shannon Brooks is able to play, the RB will have an experienced RB for the rest of the season, at least four games.

Sorry Hungan but SB isn't going to make a difference unless he plays D

Annexstad needs to toughen up. He will always have some sort of nagging injury, like most other QBs. I’m guessing he usually had a clean pocket in high school. This isn’t IMG. Maybe he’ll grow a pair by next season.

FYI, I’m talking about the ankle. What happened today sounds potentially more serious.

Yeah, I’m sure I’ll get trashed by someone for this. Don’t care.

Annexstad needs to toughen up. He will always have some sort of nagging injury, like most other QBs. I’m guessing he usually had a clean pocket in high school. This isn’t IMG. Maybe he’ll grow a pair by next season.

FYI, I’m talking about the ankle. What happened today sounds potentially more serious.

Yeah, I’m sure I’ll get trashed by someone for this. Don’t care.

I don’t get your post. Annexstad has been playing pretty much all year with a bad ankle. He’s been playing through it, what else do you want? Isn’t playing through an injury being tough? Ankle injuries can last all season.

I'm ready to see more of Morgan at this point, Annestad has been reminding me more and more of Conor Rhoda lately.

The same comparison occurred to me. With Annexstad so badly hobbled, today he also reminded me of Bradford's woeful 1st half performance in Chicago in early 2017. The poor man was just looking for someplace to fall down.

Annexstad has been obviously compromised physically for over a month now but our coaches have been pushing him back out there. You can't play football on one leg and expect anything near competence. Every time I watch our QB gimp in an attempt to escape the pocket I wonder why the coaching staff has put him in such a position to fail.

I've been a huge Fleck supporter up to this point but he's losing equity with me on a weekly level. I've seen nothing from our coaches to show that they are capable of doing more than come up with a mountain of acronyms and new jersey combos. Coach some football boys.

I don’t get your post. Annexstad has been playing pretty much all year with a bad ankle. He’s been playing through it, what else do you want? Isn’t playing through an injury being tough? Ankle injuries can last all season.

Putting Annexstad out there when he can't run is all on the coaches. No one can blame Zach - he's shown he's plenty tough. Many people for weeks have been talking about how his lack of mobility could get him injured more seriously. Hopefully what happened yesterday isn't too serious.

PJ has definitely shown an inclination to put injured players out there to the detriment of not only the team but the player (Durr, Zack). I don’t understand it. Morgan looked pretty comparable/better in a small sample size. If he had simply rested ZA his ankle may have been approaching normalcy by now (and perhaps we have an extra win or two or at least more competitive contests).

PJ has definitely shown an inclination to put injured players out there to the detriment of not only the team but the player (Durr, Zack). I don’t understand it.

Celestin last year.

Putting Annexstad out there when he can't run is all on the coaches. No one can blame Zach - he's shown he's plenty tough. Many people for weeks have been talking about how his lack of mobility could get him injured more seriously. Hopefully what happened yesterday isn't too serious.

PJ is not shy about playing injured players. He did it last year as well. Playing Durr last year when he couldn’t even run without a limp comes to mind.

Top Bottom