Morgan vs Annexstad

Sorry Hungan but SB isn't going to make a difference unless he plays D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shannon Brooks did help the team with an extra weapon that Indiana had to worry about.

It is odd how Fleck shows up and we see play out the QB position that fans here haven't seen in what....5...10...15 years. This alone should be an indicator that things are changing. I'd bet money that Jerry Kill has the ability to identify quality qbs but he could never convince any not named Strevler to play for him.

You know it's weird too. Because I watched one game this year with Demry Croft for Tenn St, and he looked really good throwing the ball. He looked worse than Leidner his whole career here. I know he left for other reasons (culture), but we've had a few QBs leave that turned out to be decent at other schools. I think our issue has been receivers for a long time. We had guys starting that wouldn't start in the MAC...

You know it's weird too. Because I watched one game this year with Demry Croft for Tenn St, and he looked really good throwing the ball. He looked worse than Leidner his whole career here. I know he left for other reasons (culture), but we've had a few QBs leave that turned out to be decent at other schools. I think our issue has been receivers for a long time. We had guys starting that wouldn't start in the MAC...

true. true.

Morgan has great QB skills and "looks like the oldest redshirt freshman in college football" according to one Fox Sports commentator.

Two things I think:

There will be calls for ZA as soon as TM struggles
Tribalism is alive and well and many of us like the idea of a QB from Norseland, MN

The black hole that has been our WR position in recent years definitely had an impact on the performance of our QBs. Croft would have had more success if he had this group to throw to since last year all teams had to do was figure out a way to limit Johnson since there was nobody else in the WR group to worry about. I don't think Croft would have beaten out Annexstad or Morgan this season but he would have been a little better last year.

It is just so nice to watch an offense again that does not seem mystified by the concept of throwing a forward pass.

Annexstad had a swinging gate at right tackle. I would like to see what he can do with the extra protection Faalele is providing

I think we all knew both would play at some point this year so im 100% fine with rolling with the hot hand. i do like that TM is a bit more mobile tho, and his throws have been on the friggin money.

This was a different O with brooks in tho, and holy crap we could have made some more noise I think if Rodney could have stayed healthy.

I think we all knew both would play at some point this year so im 100% fine with rolling with the hot hand. i do like that TM is a bit more mobile tho, and his throws have been on the friggin money.

This was a different O with brooks in tho, and holy crap we could have made some more noise I think if Rodney could have stayed healthy.

Agreed. PJ expressed the difficulty in deciding between the untested ZA and TM before the season. Now he must be looking forward to deciding between 2 young, healthy, tough, talented, proven QB's who know & can run his offense. And having the other in reserve.

And then he gets Rodney and Shannon back next year. Can't have too many RB's and QB's for a B1G season.

Last edited:

Shannon Brooks did help the team with an extra weapon that Indiana had to worry about.

Absolutely...his run threat helped a lot in dialing down the pass rush as well.

advantage(s) to Morgan

The Indiana game (at least till Brook's injury) was the first time this season that a starting QB had top line RB, WR's, and O-line to work with. That and Morgan was healthy and had an opportunity to better learn the offense. The results were impressive. In some earlier appearances Morgan had considerably more problems (fumbles, interceptions, fewer completions). Also he was thrown into some less than optimal game situations.

The net result is that ZA has 1 more TD than INT (Morgan is even). When both are healthy it will still probably not be clear who is better. Perhaps a secret poll of the WR's would be a democratic (small d) way to provide an answer.

Last edited:

In some earlier appearances Morgan had considerably more problems (fumbles, interceptions, fewer completions). Also he was thrown into some less than optimal game situations.

You're talking about a very limited sample prior to Nebraska. He was 1-1 for 7 yards against New Mexico State and 1 for 5 for 28 yards and two sacks against Miami (OH). He was very good against Nebraska (11-16 for 214 yards and one interception) and very good again against Indiana. He was somewhat hampered against Nebraska because we were so far behind and the defense knew we had to throw the ball most downs.

Since Zach isn't as mobile, doesn't make plays as quickly, and doesn't throw the long ball very well, I think it's pretty clear now who is better.

Lot of assumptions that Jacob Clark isn’t our best option going forward.

Two things I think:

Tribalism is alive and well and many of us like the idea of a QB from Norseland, MN

Not me. I've lived in six states so I don't care where a player is from. I'll praise a kid from Uzbekistan if he can play.

Two things I think:

Not me. TM honestly looks like a more complete qb than ZA.TM has better pocket presence, more mobile, and throws a better deep ball. ZA had his chance for half the season. It’s time to see what TM can do the second half.

Lot of assumptions that Jacob Clark isn’t our best option going forward.

Yep, at least for the rest of this year. Next year it will be tough IMHO for Clark to get more than limited appearances in no more than 4 games. That is due to the FR problem as well as 2 QB's that will have had 1-2 yrs in the system and have already shown at least flashes of promise. Clark's best realistic hopes would be increasingly in 2020, 2021, and then for 2 yrs starting 2022 after ZA and TM are either graduated or drafted. Given that even better QB's are not recruited, etc.

Last edited:

Morgan has the advantage and rightly so at this point but chances are ZA will get an opportunity to play again.

The bigger question in my mind is why we didn’t see TM vs Maryland and Iowa. It likely wouldn’t have changed the outcome but it’s impossible to say. Butterfly effect, yadda yadda. PJ sort of addressed it in his radio interview stating TM had improved greatly from fall camp. He probably is aware it looks bad in hindsight to send ZA out there when he couldn’t defend himself and there was a pretty good backup.

Agreed. PJ expressed the difficulty in deciding between the untested ZA and TM before the season.

One thing I don’t understand is if PJ truly thought they were so close, why did he continue to play an injured/immobile/ineffective ZA until he literally couldn’t anymore?

One thing I don’t understand is if PJ truly thought they were so close, why did he continue to play an injured/immobile/ineffective ZA until he literally couldn’t anymore?

He wanted to avoid the qb carousel. He has heard the gridiron legend of the Leidelson. The beast of 2 backs that consumed gopher football,

Top Bottom