Who will be our first Big Ten Win

Who will be the Gophers first Big Ten Victory of 2018?

• Indiana

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • Illinois

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • Purdue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Northwestern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wisconsin

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Gophers finish 0-9

Votes: 22 25.0%

• Total voters

Sparlimb

Reaction score
Who will be the unlucky team that loses to Minnesota?

It's so hard to know.
This team now has shown that it's inconsistent, so you have no idea if the team you are playing is going to drop 40-50 or not.

Also, QB is hurt / changing.

Defense is in shambles and maybe lost someone today.

I think they can beat Indiana, but I wouldn't be more than $5 on it.

Looking at 2 B1G wins tops. But....failure is gROWth.

Hard to say. I haven't seen which teams we play in the Big Ten in 2019.

Hard to say. I haven't seen which teams we play in the Big Ten in 2019.
at Purdue
Illinois
Nebraska
at Rutgers
Maryland
Penn State
at Iowa
at Northwestern
Wisconsin

Illinois at home in game 5, is my guess.

Illinois at home in 2020.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

when is Rutgers back on the schedule?

I like our chances to win a conference game next season!!!!

It's so hard to know.
This team now has shown that it's inconsistent, so you have no idea if the team you are playing is going to drop 40-50 or not.

Also, QB is hurt / changing.

Defense is in shambles and maybe lost someone today.

I think they can beat Indiana, but I wouldn't be more than $5 on it.

Other than the ability of the defense to stop the run (did well in that department against Iowa and OSU; gave up career rushing days to Maryland and Nebraska), I'd say the defense has been fairly consistent: gave up 42, 48, 30, and 53 pts. In terms of total offense, they gave up 432, 420, 504, and 659 yards. So, there may be some uncertainty about whether the defense gives up 34 or 48 points, or gives up 425 or 525 yards in any given game, but at this point we have no reason to suspect that the defense will give up an average of 28 points and 340 yards for the rest of the season.

Indiana will crush us Friday and Purdue is a lot better.

I don't have any confidence against Purdue but there is reason for hope against Indiana.

1) The game is at home;
2) We have had two common opponents and we can compare performances. Both teams played Iowa at home and Ohio State on the road.

Total Offense

Against Iowa -

By Indiana: 330 yards
By Minnesota: 320 yards

Against Ohio State

By Indiana: 406 yards
By Minnesota: 396 yards

Total defense

Against Iowa -

By Indiana: 479 yards
By Minnesota: 420 yards

Against Ohio State

By Indiana: 609 yards
By Minnesota: 504 yards

Indiana also has given up at least two turnovers in every Big Ten game. Like against Iowa and Ohio State, we must commit to stopping the run. Indiana has had four games where they rushed for over 200 yards, but they rushed for 29 yards against Mich St, 84 yrds against OSU, and 67 yards against Iowa (all decisive defeats). Their passing isn't bad at all but they've gone over the 300 yard mark only twice this season (both losses). Like us, they've also had some trouble converting yards into points. They had 451 yards against Rutgers but only 24 points. They had 549 yards against PSU but only 28 points. They had 330 yards against Iowa and only 16 points. They had 387 yards against Virginia and only 20 points.

We had over 300 yards in the second half against Nebraska with Tanner at QB. If we can stop the run, I believe we can stay with them and have a fair shot to outscore them for the game.

Indiana Friday night. The team gets hot & we win 2 in a row.. plus we steal one vs NW to get bowl eligible

It's not like this team is horrible.
With a little luck, we could win out, but we probably won't.
Probably be closer to 1-2 wins.

A young team could use the extra practices a bowl game would give us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, OK, but if this team manages to win 6 games and makes a low level bowl, I will be happy about it. I'll be really happy if they win that bowl. I'm not ashamed of that and I'm not going to make rationalizations like "more practices" to make that feeling more socially acceptable to the hardheads with the more fixed standards of success.

Well, OK, but if this team manages to win 6 games and makes a low level bowl, I will be happy about it. I'll be really happy if they win that bowl. I'm not ashamed of that and I'm not going to make rationalizations like "more practices" to make that feeling more socially acceptable to the hardheads with the more fixed standards of success.

More practices is what this team needs. I'm not ashamed to hope for a bowl for that reason. Could be the toilet bowl for all I care, we need something to help the team get better. More practices won't hurt.

It feels like that would take a miracle right about now, so I would be extremely happy.

It feels like that would take a miracle right about now, so I would be extremely happy.

Not yet. Wait for Friday's game. If we lose, it will take a miracle. If we win, I think it's pretty reasonably possible.

If Tanner Morgan starts, I think we win. If he starts the 2nd half, I think we have a chance to win. If ZA plays the whole game, which would only happen because Fleck is a stubborn, stubborn mule ... then I don't think we'll win.

Defense is in panic mode, yes, but I think -- feel is more like it -- if the offense is working, they'll get hyped enough, play off that energy, that they can limit (not eliminate) the big plays and the hold Indiana to low enough points.

I'm going with that.

If we lose to Indiana ... the possibility of 0-9 in Big Ten becomes very real. Illinois I think is about the same as Indiana, and it's in Champaign. Purdue and NW are strong teams than Indiana and Illinois. And then Wisconsin, in Madison ...

Way to go optimistic people! You win!

Top Bottom