Gophers beat Creighton in closed scrimmage

DeathClutch

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good games from both Kalscheur and Oturu.

I’ve been trying to not expect much from the freshmen outside of Oturu, but that’s a pretty solid stat line for Gabe. Does his name being 4th on the list imply he was starting? If so, big boost to guard depth.

Jacob Epperson, Marcus Zegarowski, and Kaleb Joseph were all guys the Gophers recruited.

Thoughts on Gabe starting? Would this mean Amir was running PG?

I’ve been trying to not expect much from the freshmen outside of Oturu, but that’s a pretty solid stat line for Gabe. Does his name being 4th on the list imply he was starting? If so, big boost to guard depth.

Jacob Epperson, Marcus Zegarowski, and Kaleb Joseph were all guys the Gophers recruited.

The “started” in marcus comment I implies he started.

Thoughts on Gabe starting? Would this mean Amir was running PG?

Well, Washington played 24 minutes (only one less minute than Coffey) so I would imagine he played the point for a good bit of the game.

Yeah - Gabe K started. good story on scrimmage on the Strib website. Calls Gabe K one of the best perimeter defenders on the team, and that is one of reasons he started. Also allowed Coffey to get more time playing the point. Jelly came off the bench.

The Strib story also noted that, after the 40-minute scrimmage, the two teams played an extra 8-minute period. said Omersa looked good in the extra session.

Gabe would often come in for Brad Davidson during EYBL play when pulley had a small lead late in the game and they wanted to upgrade their defense

Awesome. News on Gabe. I like what he brings to the table

Gabe would often come in for Brad Davidson during EYBL play when pulley had a small lead late in the game and they wanted to upgrade their defense

I would love if Gabe could be called upon to guard Davison. We'd probably have to take all our starters out to avoid injury after the court gets flooded from all of Davison's tears.

The stars next to the 5 names in the box scores are the starters. Kalscheur's numbers are very encouraging. 10 and 5 and 3 blocks from Oturu in just 15 minutes is fantastic. While just a scrimmage and it doesn't mean anything yet, encouraging start.

This was a scrimmage. Don't read too much into who started and who didn't. No doubt, both coaches used a number of unconventional lineups to get a feel for what a person can do in various situations.

Yeah - Gabe K started. good story on scrimmage on the Strib website. Calls Gabe K one of the best perimeter defenders on the team, and that is one of reasons he started. Also allowed Coffey to get more time playing the point. Jelly came off the bench.

The Strib story also noted that, after the 40-minute scrimmage, the two teams played an extra 8-minute period. said Omersa looked good in the extra session.

Here's a link to the good story from the STrib:

Joining Kalscheur in the starting lineup was junior Amir Coffey, seniors Dupree McBrayer and Jordan Murphy and redshirt sophomore Eric Curry. Curry, who sat out with torn knee ligaments and meniscus last season, played in his first game since the NCAA tournament loss to Middle Tennessee his freshman season in 2017. Curry finished with two points on 1-for-4 shooting, four rebounds and a steal in 20 minutes.

Since Isaiah Washington came off the bench, Coffey got the start at point guard and finished a team-best four assists, four rebounds and three turnovers in 25 minutes.

Pitino talked about trying to figure out the replacement for graduated senior floor general Nate Mason this fall. It’s a work in progress, but Washington still scored nine points and played 24 minutes off the bench.

Maybe the biggest takeaway from the scrimmage was how much this freshman class could contribute this season. Former four-star recruit Daniel Oturu finished with 10 points on 5-for-7 shooting, five rebounds and three blocks in just 15 minutes. The 6-foot-10 Oturu committed two fouls, but they both came in the second half. He got off to a strong start with six points, four rebounds, two blocks and zero fouls in the first half Saturday. Imagine what his impact can be with more minutes this season.

http://www.startribune.com/freshman...hers-in-scrimmage-win-at-creighton/498115531/

Go Gophers!!

More details from Creighton:

The Creighton men's basketball team hosted Minnesota in a closed scrimmage to open the 2018-19 season. Minnesota won the first half 46-41 before the teams reset the score and played a second half, won by Creighton 40-37. The teams once again reset the score and played a third session of just eight minutes, won by the Bluejays 19-9.

"It was great for our team just to play against somebody else," said Creighton head coach Greg McDermott. "It's been 15 or 16 practices beating on each other, looking at each other every day and I think it was refreshing to get out and compete against someone else. Early season, we probably turned it over too much and our shot selection the second half was better than the first half. I think our decisions were better in the second half on both ends of the floor. I think we cleaned some things up defensively the second half and as a result we played a little bit better the last 20 minutes than we did the first 20 minutes. Minnesota's a good team, they've got a lot of length, they're very experienced in the guard-court with who they return, so I think it was a competitive game that was really good for us. It gave us a chance to really get a lot of young players on the floor and have some good film to evaluate."

The Gophers started quickly in each of the first two halves, racing to an 8-1 lead to start the day and a 7-0 start in the second half. Both times, Creighton would answer.

In the first session, Creighton regrouped to retake a 13-12 lead on a three-point play by junior guard Davion Mintz. The teams would have six ties and seven lead changes in the opening 20 minutes. Minnesota took the lead for good on a a free throw by Michael Hurt with 5:44 in the half to move ahead 35-34. Neither team fouled in the final 56 seconds of the half as one might normally expect in a close game.

Ty-Shon Alexander led Creighton with 10 points in the first half, while Mintz and Martin Krapmelj added seven points. Krampelj added a team-high two steals while showing no ill effects from season-ending knee surgery last February and logging 21 minutes on the day. The Gophers were paced by 10 points from Gabe Kalscheur, and owned a 22-17 lead in rebounds.

The teams reset the score at halftime and switched ends of the floor, and Creighton would win the second half, 40-37. After Minnesota scored the first seven points, the Jays came back with a 6-0 run that included buckets by Mintz, Jacob Epperson and Krampelj. The Bluejays moved ahead 14-11 on a three-pointer by New Mexico transfer Damien Jefferson, who made his Bluejay debut in the scrimmage.

The second half remained tight, and was deadlocked at 37-all after a jumper by Kalescheur with 1:26 to go. CU would work the ball around on its next possession and Jefferson fed freshman Samson Froling, who drained a three-pointer for the final points of the half. Both teams had two more scoreless possessions, as once again neither team fouled down the stretch as is frequently the case.

Epperson and Froling each had seven points in the second session, while Jordan Murphy topped Minnesota with 11 points. CU won the board battle 20-17 and shot 16-for-32 from the field.

After a short break, the score was once again reset for an eight-minute session that was won by Creighton, 19-9. Froling had eight points on 4-of-5 shooting to pace a Bluejay squad that made 9-of-15 shots and held the Gophers to 3-of-11 marksmanship.

https://gocreighton.com/news/2018/10/20/mens-basketball-splits-closed-scrimmage-with-minnesota.aspx

Go Gophers!!

per the U:

The University of Minnesota men's basketball team traveled to Creighton University Saturday for a closed preseason scrimmage, with the Gophers earning the victory, 83-81. The teams played an additional eight minute period which was won by the Bluejays.

Leading the way for the Gophers in the 40-minute game was freshman Gabe Kalscheur, who tied a game-high with 15 points. Joining him in double figures were senior Jordan Murphy and junior Amir Coffey, who each chipped in 14 points, along with 10 points from freshman Daniel Oturu.

Creighton's leading scorer was Ty-Shon Alexander, who matched Kalscheur with 15 points. He was one of four double-digit scorers for Creighton.

Minnesota held several stat advantages, out-shooting the Bluejays 47.5-to-45.3 percent and winning the rebounding battle 39-37. Senior Dupree McBrayer was the top Gopher rebounder with six rebounds, while CU's Mitch Ballock led all players with seven boards.

The Gophers narrowly lost the assist margin, though Coffey dished a game-high four assists. Oturu blocked three shots, part of a 4-1 blocks advantage for Minnesota. Kalscheur had a team-high two steasl while Creighton was led by three from Martin Krampelj.

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/...phers-edge-creighton-in-closed-scrimmage.aspx

Go Gophers!!

I love seeing the freshmen contribution numbers. I think this bodes well for our season. We really need to crank out a good year and enjoy some good fortune for a change. I have to believe opposing coaches are working their negative recruiting with the poor early results so far with the 2019 class. I really believe this squad can be better than last seasons complete team due to much better depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love seeing the freshmen contribution numbers. I think this bodes well for our season. We really need to crank out a good year and enjoy some good fortune for a change. I have to believe opposing coaches are working their negative recruiting with the poor early results so far with the 2019 class. I really believe this squad can be better than last seasons complete team due to much better depth.

I love that there is competition for playing time. That's going to make everyone play harder. All signs are that this was a great recruiting class... especially when you include Stull and then two guys that won't play this year (unless Carr gets good news).

I really believe this squad can be better than last seasons complete team due to much better depth.

"Can" be better? They sure as hell "must" be better or this should be Pitino's final season.

"Can" be better? They sure as hell "must" be better or this should be Pitino's final season.

I don't know about better, last years team was probably top four in the B1G, best team I'd seen since the final four team at Minnesota, may not have had the defensive intensity to compete for the B1G title but they were good.

I don't know about better, last years team was probably top four in the B1G, best team I'd seen since the final four team at Minnesota, may not have had the defensive intensity to compete for the B1G title but they were good.

Not sure if serious.

What are you talking about? Fractions of a year don't count in the record books. The season ended in March, not early January, and the team finished 15-17 overall while loosing 14 of their last 16 games. Perhaps in an alternate universe where Reggie didn't get suspended,players didn't get hurt, and the remaining players were good enough to be competitive, last year's team would have been a tough act to follow but that's not what happened.

One thing I appreciate about Pitino is he isn’t stuck in his view of how the game should be played and his use of Coffey is another example of that. I think we could see Coffey used in a similar way to how the Rockets use Harden and in that Pitino’s putting the ball in Amir’s hands and forcing him to be more assertive where he could otherwise fade in and out of games playing on the wing. IMO he’s had the most potential to be our best scorer and shot creator since he’s stepped on campus and I think this is a role that could really suit him if this is the plan. The bigger lineup would also give Pitino the chance to get creative on defense and allow him to give different looks.

I like the idea of Isaiah coming off the bench and pairing him with Hurt and Stull who could probably do with a guard that can create shots for them. Those guys should give Isaiah the spacing he needs to be the dynamic slashing guard he’s capable of being as well. Really excited for the season.

Am I the only one who thinks that McBrayer is the virtual PG in that starting lineup? I imagine he brings the ball up more than Coffey. I imagine McBrayer will be the one who guards the opposing team's PG, not Coffey. I guess I will wait to see Coffey break a full-court press before I consider him an actual PG.

Am I the only one who thinks that McBrayer is the virtual PG in that starting lineup? I imagine he brings the ball up more than Coffey. I imagine McBrayer will be the one who guards the opposing team's PG, not Coffey. I guess I will wait to see Coffey break a full-court press before I consider him an actual PG.

Based on what we saw in his soph year, McBrayer shouldn't be a point guard on offense. I didn't see anything in his junior year that made me reassess that view. He might be a good prospect to guard an opposing point guard given his height.

Based on what we saw in his soph year, McBrayer shouldn't be a point guard on offense. I didn't see anything in his junior year that made me reassess that view. He might be a good prospect to guard an opposing point guard given his height.

These last two posts illustrate why I think IW will be the primary ball handler, and any time Coffey or McBrayer spend playing “point guard” will simply to create short lived matchup problems while IW is spelled. IW has his faults last year, but he was excellent as a freshman at breaking full court pressure. Both Coffey and McBrayer have shown in previous years that they were not ready to handle similar pressure. Experience and practice could change that, but IW is probably the only guy I feel comfortable with the ball in his hands if we are pressed.

Yes, you are the only one!

These last two posts illustrate why I think IW will be the primary ball handler, and any time Coffey or McBrayer spend playing “point guard” will simply to create short lived matchup problems while IW is spelled. IW has his faults last year, but he was excellent as a freshman at breaking full court pressure. Both Coffey and McBrayer have shown in previous years that they were not ready to handle similar pressure. Experience and practice could change that, but IW is probably the only guy I feel comfortable with the ball in his hands if we are pressed.

Correct! Coffey and Mcbrayer can not handle on ball pressure! They can bring the ball up once awhile for short spurts but Washington is the only pure PG.

I would love if Gabe could be called upon to guard Davison. We'd probably have to take all our starters out to avoid injury after the court gets flooded from all of Davison's tears.

To ensure that one of our starters would get injured Davison will also trip him totally by accident and would not get a foul called for it. I hate that guy; except that if he was a Gopher I would probably love him.

Does he know how to avoid the step under and trip moves?

Top Bottom