Sid Hartman: Fleck talks Spielman

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Fleck talks Spielman

JD Spielman, the Nebraska sophomore and son of Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman, will face the Gophers this Saturday. He has become one of the most productive wide receivers in college football, even as the Cornhuskers have struggled to an 0-6 record.

The Eden Prairie graduate grabbed 13 receptions for 117 yards and two touchdowns in his first three games, but has since taken off.

In a 42-28 loss to Purdue on Sept. 29, he had 10 receptions for 135 yards and two scores. The following week he torched Wisconsin in a 41-24 loss for 209 yards on nine receptions (23.2 yards per catch) and another score. Last week in a 34-31 overtime loss to Northwestern, he had eight receptions for 76 yards and one score.

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said that when game-planning against the Cornhuskers, Spielman is at the top of his list.

“I know he is from the state of Minnesota and he is a special football player and they’re lucky to have him because he is very dynamic and does a lot of things,” Fleck said. “He can beat you in so many ways.

“He can dissect a zone coverage on his own. He can beat you in man coverage. They put him in the backfield to hide him. They do a lot of things to make sure they get him the ball.”

And Fleck isn’t fooled by the Cornhuskers’ record, saying they’re a much better team than that shows.

“They could be 5-1, 4-2, and probably even ranked by now,” he said. “They have lost some games in some weird, oddity-type situations. If I told you how they lost the game, you wouldn’t believe me. They have a tremendous freshman quarterback [Adrian Martinez] who is dynamic in the run and the pass. They have three wideouts that can really play. They have a really good offensive line, tight ends are in the mix and some really physical backs. On defense, they play a 3-4, aggressive, they fly to the ball. And on special teams, they create field-position battles for you.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-set-to-face-a-third-rookie-quarterback-sunday/497984751/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom