STrib: How Gophers' trophy football games rank (they put Chair over Jug)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

The Gophers have four official trophy games and one unofficial — the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy, which goes to the Minnesota-Nebraska winner. Here are one man’s rankings of the trophies:

1. Paul Bunyan’s Axe: The Gophers haven’t won this one since 2003, so it’s put down roots in Madison. Funny moment: Embattled coach John Gutekunst, upon seeing the Axe at the postgame news conference after the Gophers won it in 1989, “I hope they don’t chop my head off.”

2. Floyd of Rosedale: Iowa has won Floyd four times in a row, but it’s usually a competitive rivalry. And what’s more fun than winning a 98-pound bronze hog?

3. $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy: Sure, it’s not an official trophy, but proceeds of the accompanying fundraiser (brokenchairtrophy.com) go to the U’s Masonic Children’s Hospital and Nebraska’s Team Jack Foundation.

4. Little Brown Jug: The Gophers and Michigan don’t play nearly as often anymore, so the luster is off a bit. Minnesota won the jug as recently as 2014.

5. Governor’s Victory Bell: Started in 1993 to commemorate Penn State’s first game in the Big Ten, this trophy just lacks the pizazz and importance of the others.

http://www.startribune.com/how-gophers-trophy-football-games-rank/497984541/

Go Gophers!!

1. Brown Jug
2. Floyd
3. Axe
4. Chair
5. Bell

I have the axe lower because it's not the original trophy in the series and it's just an oversized piece of wood.

1. Axe
2. Pig
3. Jug

The other two aren’t real. Rivalries can’t be manufactured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Axe
2. Pig
3. Jug

Except the chair isn't manufactured, it's as organic as it gets.

4. Chair

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1. Axe
2. Pig
3. Jug

You mean like forgetting your water jug and making the other team beat you to get it back?

There is nothing manufactured about the NE/MN football rivalry.

From the Omaha World Herald:

Despite that, Minnesota is one of eight programs that has played Nebraska at least 10 times and claims a winning record, joining Oklahoma, Pittsburgh, Indiana, Texas, Wisconsin, Syracuse and Michigan.

The Gophers are 32-24-2 all time against the Huskers. All but three of those wins happened in 1960 or earlier. The first?

"It was the finest exhibition of football ever seen on a Nebraska gridiron, and was witnessed by 5,000 gally beribboned enthusiasts, of whom almost a thousand came down from the snow covered fields of Minnesota to wager their money that the light and lithe Nebraskans could not score against their brawny, light haired northern giants," The World-Herald published on Nov. 30, 1900.

Nebraska did score, provoking emotion from gamblers on hand, in the 20-12 loss to the heavily-favored Minnesotans. The Gophers went on to win 29 of the next 36 meetings, while two were ties.

NU has played Minnesota every year since joining the Big Ten, going 4-3. The most notable? Maybe the $5 or bits of broken chair trophy created thanks to a social media discussion between Faux Pelini and the Gopher mascot.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs...cle_63e26abf-f284-5663-a3e4-4317b56b8ec1.html

And the story of the $5 Bits of Broken Chair:

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...cle_7068f852-c3b8-529e-a794-bf7f4ce53522.html

Today we play for the $5 bits broken wood trophy with Nebraska. Bring home the Chair, ESPN Gameday crew wrong, Nebraska stays ofer. Go Gophers!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

You mean like forgetting your water jug and making the other team beat you to get it back?

There is nothing manufactured about the NE/MN football rivalry.

From the Omaha World Herald:

Despite that, Minnesota is one of eight programs that has played Nebraska at least 10 times and claims a winning record, joining Oklahoma, Pittsburgh, Indiana, Texas, Wisconsin, Syracuse and Michigan.

The Gophers are 32-24-2 all time against the Huskers. All but three of those wins happened in 1960 or earlier. The first?

"It was the finest exhibition of football ever seen on a Nebraska gridiron, and was witnessed by 5,000 gally beribboned enthusiasts, of whom almost a thousand came down from the snow covered fields of Minnesota to wager their money that the light and lithe Nebraskans could not score against their brawny, light haired northern giants," The World-Herald published on Nov. 30, 1900.

Nebraska did score, provoking emotion from gamblers on hand, in the 20-12 loss to the heavily-favored Minnesotans. The Gophers went on to win 29 of the next 36 meetings, while two were ties.

NU has played Minnesota every year since joining the Big Ten, going 4-3. The most notable? Maybe the $5 or bits of broken chair trophy created thanks to a social media discussion between Faux Pelini and the Gopher mascot.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs...cle_63e26abf-f284-5663-a3e4-4317b56b8ec1.html

And the story of the $5 Bits of Broken Chair:

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...cle_7068f852-c3b8-529e-a794-bf7f4ce53522.html

I knew the story of its origin. Thanks. I still don’t consider the stupid chair an actual trophy. Others can if they want to manufacture some fake excitement. To each their own.

I go

Jug
Axe
Pig
Chair
Bell

Top Bottom