When will we get our next 2019 Commitment and who will it be?

Who is the next commit?

• Hurt

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Kobe

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Seaborn

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Somebody else

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
I doubt that it will be Hurt as it appears he is looking to wait and see. I could see Kobe of Seaborn making a decision soon though. I think getting Kobe would be good but am concerned about our lack of getting a PG.

Can Seaborn really run the point?

I doubt that it will be Hurt as it appears he is looking to wait and see. I could see Kobe of Seaborn making a decision soon though. I think getting Kobe would be good but am concerned about our lack of getting a PG.

Carr is a PG. I'm not too concerned with IW and Carr for the next 2-3 years. I went with "somebody else" - maybe Calhoun?

I think we end this class with Jackson, Kobe Brown, Hurt (or a Juco), and Eddie Turner. I think either Kobe or Turner will be the next. Most likely Turner.

If we don't land Hurt, I think that 4th scholarship is either used on a Juco or banked for a grad transfer. I don't see Pitino taking 4 HS players in this class.

My gut says Seaborn. Wonder if the JUCO or Myron Gardner will visit? Seems Pitino is going to roll with Carr and Jelly at the point, but I thought I read that Seaborn could play some point? Agree that Kobe would be a good get

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Seabron has been depicted in his highlight videos as a PG but is listed on 247 as a shooting guard.

Seems like he has a decent handle and I like big point guards.

Seabron has been depicted in his highlight videos as a PG but is listed on 247 as a shooting guard.

Seems like he has a decent handle and I like big point guards.
Agreed at 6'6" he can guard three different spots on the court, nothing wrong with that if the handle is good enough. Plus if he's more of a slasher that could be a nice complement to Gabe

I went with "somebody else", not sure why Roddy wasn't listed as an option

Curious as to why Eddie Turner made your list Frank Grimey Grimes? I haven't heard his name mentioned beyond getting an offer.

Outside of Hurt, everyone else that appears to be on our radar right now ranges from "ok I guess" to "would rather just bank the scholarship" in my personal view. Part of me is surprised/disappointed that the Gophers didn't get a commitment this week coming off last weekends visits and part of me would rather just hold on to as many scholarships as possible for (in order of best outcomes for the Gophers) a. A productive Spring period possibly including Hurt after a big year from the Gophers where Pitino solidifies his job status. b. A loaded local 2020 class for Pitino after big season, but not landing anything beyond a grad transfer or two for 2019 c. Maximum flexibility for the Spring and the loaded local 2020 class for whoever replaces Pitino this Spring if he misses the tournament entirely.

An interesting note on Seabron is his team scrimmaged Cole Anthony's squad this week shortly after Dereon returned from his visit. There is a highlight on Twitter of Dereon having a nice drive and two handed dunk and he finished with 12/4/4. It probably won't have an affect on Dereon's decision, but one of his teammates committed to VCU after the game (Dereon had visited VCU previously and his teammate was there while Dereon was in Minnesota).

Curious as to why Eddie Turner made your list Frank Grimey Grimes? I haven't heard his name mentioned beyond getting an offer.

Outside of Hurt, everyone else that appears to be on our radar right now ranges from "ok I guess" to "would rather just bank the scholarship" in my personal view. Part of me is surprised/disappointed that the Gophers didn't get a commitment this week coming off last weekends visits and part of me would rather just hold on to as many scholarships as possible for (in order of best outcomes for the Gophers) a. A productive Spring period possibly including Hurt after a big year from the Gophers where Pitino solidifies his job status. b. A loaded local 2020 class for Pitino after big season, but not landing anything beyond a grad transfer or two for 2019 c. Maximum flexibility for the Spring and the loaded local 2020 class for whoever replaces Pitino this Spring if he misses the tournament entirely.

An interesting note on Seabron is his team scrimmaged Cole Anthony's squad this week shortly after Dereon returned from his visit. There is a highlight on Twitter of Dereon having a nice drive and two handed dunk and he finished with 12/4/4. It probably won't have an affect on Dereon's decision, but one of his teammates committed to VCU after the game (Dereon had visited VCU previously and his teammate was there while Dereon was in Minnesota).

With 4 open scholarships we have some flexibility. Obviously we are saving one for the spring for Hurt. And if he goes elsewhere we will try to use it on a grad transfer so we have at least 3 scholarships available for the 2020 class. So at this point im hoping for Kobe as I think he would be a good get and he would have the luxury to ease his way in at the SF position with Coffey being a senior next year. after that I have no idea where I would want to go with another scholarship. like you said with the 2020 class being loaded I think it would be a bad idea to take on 4 freshman in this class. Unless the 4th freshman is Hurt.

With 4 open scholarships we have some flexibility. Obviously we are saving one for the spring for Hurt. And if he goes elsewhere we will try to use it on a grad transfer so we have at least 3 scholarships available for the 2020 class. So at this point im hoping for Kobe as I think he would be a good get and he would have the luxury to ease his way in at the SF position with Coffey being a senior next year. after that I have no idea where I would want to go with another scholarship. like you said with the 2020 class being loaded I think it would be a bad idea to take on 4 freshman in this class. Unless the 4th freshman is Hurt.
On the flip side it would be horrible roster management if we banked the school's and had a ton of injuries. Not to mention none of the 2020 kids are coming here if Pitino gets fired after this year, the new coach will be behind the eight ball by a couple of years unless they lure in a guy who was already recruiting them

I guess I should clarify and say that I hope they let Turner commit rather than likely. I have some family in Seattle who think this guy is the real deal and is overlooked. That being said, Turner would be a candidate for a RS to gain some strength and polish his game.

In an ideal scenario, Carr gets his Waiver and you take Turner and redshirt him his freshman year. That way when Carr and IW graduate...Turner has been in the program and knows the system and you have a smooth transition at the point guard. Like I said, I haven't seen him in person, but my family that has thinks he has a very high ceiling, but will need time to adjust.

On the flip side it would be horrible roster management if we banked the school's and had a ton of injuries. Not to mention none of the 2020 kids are coming here if Pitino gets fired after this year, the new coach will be behind the eight ball by a couple of years unless they lure in a guy who was already recruiting them

always a flip side. but i will still stay in the opinion that you fill 3 scholorships on freshman and you save 1 for the spring for either Hurt, another high end spring recruit, or a grad transfer.

and lets be honest, if Pitino is fired this roster will be a dumpster fire regardless. Tray wouldn't come here or any other recruit Pitino secured for the 2019 class. and with how common it is for players to transfer you can probably add a min. of 2 other players on roster that would be gone. so your flip side doesn't really hold much weight

the new coach will be behind the eight ball regardless

Friend of mine who subscribes to 247 just said Tray Jacksom has deleted all MN stuff on his social media and is likely to decommit soon.

Friend of mine who subscribes to 247 just said Tray Jacksom has deleted all MN stuff on his social media and is likely to decommit soon.

Yeah kinda looks like he deleted his commitment tweet, if anyone else wants to look into it more.

There will be no 2019 class. Saving schollys for 2020

Other than Roddy, it sure doesn’t look great for early signings in this class. My hope for 2019 recruiting hinges on the performance of this year’s team. Kids like the latest shiny thing, and I think we have a chance to become just that with a good year. If that happens, I think Pitino can rescue this class with a late high school gem plus transfers and perhaps a JC guy or two (plus Roddy??).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the latest on Seabron, Brown and Drumgoole?

Top Bottom