Minnesota Daily: Whalen Brings Familiar Face, Memories Back to Barn

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.mndaily.com/article/2018/10/s-whalen-brings-familiar-face-memories-back-to-the-barn

As one of her first decisions as a coach, Whalen plans to move the team away from the use of a zone defense in favor of playing a man-to-man scheme. Redshirt senior Kenisha Bell had high praise for the decision.

“I think this is the best thing to do,” Bell said. “Last year, we struggled with 2-3 zone, and I think we could have beat more teams if we weren’t playing a 2-3 zone defense. In [high school], all we played was full court man-to-man or half court man-to-man. Being able to get back to that, I think it will be more fun.”

Conversely, coach Whalen has already come to appreciate Bell’s feel for the game, and her potential to have a professional career in the WNBA or overseas.

“Every practice, she’s trying to bring something different. She’s trying to reach a goal," Whalen said. "When I started taking practicing at that level — where I almost treated it game-like — was when my game ... went to another level."

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2018/10/s-whalen-brings-familiar-face-memories-back-to-the-barn

As one of her first decisions as a coach, Whalen plans to move the team away from the use of a zone defense in favor of playing a man-to-man scheme. Redshirt senior Kenisha Bell had high praise for the decision.

“I think this is the best thing to do,” Bell said. “Last year, we struggled with 2-3 zone, and I think we could have beat more teams if we weren’t playing a 2-3 zone defense. In [high school], all we played was full court man-to-man or half court man-to-man. Being able to get back to that, I think it will be more fun.”

Conversely, coach Whalen has already come to appreciate Bell’s feel for the game, and her potential to have a professional career in the WNBA or overseas.

“Every practice, she’s trying to bring something different. She’s trying to reach a goal," Whalen said. "When I started taking practicing at that level — where I almost treated it game-like — was when my game ... went to another level."

This is my two cents starting line view:
Whalen is showing her perspicacity by recognizing and maximizing her players' potential and the scheme(s) that fits her personnel. Having fun. Practicing like it is a game. Having a goal for each practice. Now, we are seeing why players like playing with her. She had great mentoring herself, and is well-liked and respected by everyone she comes in contact with. She knows what it takes to go to the next level. The Lady Gophers are in good hands for years to come.

Top Bottom