ESPN: Parents of Maryland players fearful DJ Durkin to be reinstated as coach

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Several parents of Maryland football players have joined forces to encourage the school not to bring back suspended coach DJ Durkin, The Athletic reported Tuesday.

On Aug. 10, ESPN reported that Maryland's football coaches presided over a "toxic culture" under Durkin, characterized by abuse, name-calling and bullying. On Aug. 11, Durkin was placed on paid administrative leave pending an investigation of the allegations.

The parents, who number about a half-dozen, told The Athletic that they did not learn of the alleged abuse by coaches until after the death of offensive lineman Jordan McNair on June 13. They said their sons told them they didn't think their parents would believe them, and they didn't want to worry them.

"We are worried that this narcissistic sociopath is going to come back," one parent told The Athletic. "To me, he should never coach again."

"This is stuff coming from these boys that have no reason to lie because they're not nobodies," another parent said.

"There's nothing for them to gain by coming forward," said another parent. "They cannot win. This is a no-win for them. ... It's not just some disgruntled players."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ayers-fearful-dj-durkin-reinstated-head-coach

Go Gophers!!

Anything is possible at this point... particularly considering that ****ty investigation by the administration. Pretty sure some administration there wants him back.

I don't get why they haven't cleaned house yet.

Canada seems to be doing a great job. Even if no one had died, sounds like Durkin runs a toxic atmosphere.

I'd look at either keeping Canada and whatever staff he wants, or starting fresh and maybe look at hiring a hot coach from the MAC, CUSA, American.

Durkin was backed by big boosters. But, they are not going to safe his skin. IMHO, he is done. He has become the biggest problem like a cancer that needs to be cut out.

Their best bet is keep Canada for now.

The question to me isn't whether Durkin will be gone. I think there is zero chance they keep him. A kid died, under his watch, and don't give me BS about training staff. A kid died. Someone's head needs to roll. The question to me is, given the nature of the program and that a kid died, can you keep the rest of the staff? Or do you have to start completely over? Tough choice for an AD...

The question to me isn't whether Durkin will be gone. I think there is zero chance they keep him. A kid died, under his watch, and don't give me BS about training staff. A kid died. Someone's head needs to roll. The question to me is, given the nature of the program and that a kid died, can you keep the rest of the staff? Or do you have to start completely over? Tough choice for an AD...

I'd argue that the S&C staff was primarily responsible, but also sounds like Durkin needed to go too, and so that would be enough. Let's see if they agree or not ...

The death wasn’t Durkin’s fault, based on public evidence. The alleged abuse is a different issue but there are a lot of conflicting stories and at least one totally disreputable mother making waves (Daniels).

The fact they haven’t fired yet, which they surely want to do, points to weak evidence that won’t hold up in a lawsuit. Maybe I’m wrong...but this has gone on for far longer than expected.

I'd argue that the S&C staff was primarily responsible, but also sounds like Durkin needed to go too, and so that would be enough. Let's see if they agree or not ...

Doesnt matter if it was the training staff. It's a systematic problem. DD is the CEO. It happened under his watch. He either didnt train the staff properly or implement strategy to combat issues.

Either way, if Durkin stays, then Maryland had now become the most ludicrous, disgusting AD in the land. A kid died under their watch and possibly because of the regime they had in place and nothing happens ...despicable.

Doesnt matter if it was the training staff. It's a systematic problem. DD is the CEO. It happened under his watch. He either didnt train the staff properly or implement strategy to combat issues.

Either way, if Durkin stays, then Maryland had now become the most ludicrous, disgusting AD in the land. A kid died under their watch and possibly because of the regime they had in place and nothing happens ...despicable.

I think the damning argument for Durkin is that he favored, and implemented, the culture/regime of personal insults, toxic environment of getting in players faces, insulting them, belittling them, personally embarrassing them for failure. I hate coaches like that. But somehow, some coaches seem to think that's how you wring every last little ounce of effort out of a person.

So then, he hired and/or trained the S&C to implement that same atmosphere during training. So instead of seeing a kid that tragically, suddenly had a life threatening condition where it hadn't happened before, and getting the kid help, the toxic atmosphere said to embarrass him, view him as trying to wimp out of working hard, etc.

That would be the angle I would be pushing, if defending the U of MD against a lawsuit by Durkin.

Durkin is lucky to not be facing a negligent homicide charge.

Is a CEO responsible for the patient dead on the operating table? Nope. Now, the trainers and the medical staff has a lot of answering to do. From what I gather the medical staff is university hired and managed and they’ve already accepted responsibility for the death.

Everyone want a scapegoat. Every time something like this comes up people form an image in their minds of an alternate reality. Particularly in sports.

People here can’t even bring themselves to hold PJ responsible for the product on the field yet. They’re still crucifying the former staff *because they’re no longer here*.

Top Bottom