Questions about Nebraska

swingman

Reaction score
Do they have a legit third WR (or TE) threat behind Spielman and Morgan?

Has Morgan taken a step back this year?

Do they use the QB in a true option keep run game, or does he gain yards more out of scramble, draw?

Can they get pressure with four? Do they blitz much?

Do they play aggressive press coverage, soft coverage, two deep safeties, bring safety in box? Have they faced many four wide attacks?

Do they run much jet sweep, lateral run game?

How much do they run the true frosh RB?

All I know is that Spielman, Martinez, and Ozigbo are going to be a handful. Their defense is going to be an angry hornets nest. They are manufacturing bulletin board material to psych themselves up.

The Gophers better bring their A game. Like it or not, this will be a turning point game for both teams. The media will favor Nebraska.

Trust the coaching staff, swing. They're looking at all of that and more.

Nebraska absolutely desperate for a win. Gophers really would like a win too, but don't "need" this one as much as they need to win 3 out of 4 of the the remaining home games plus trip to Champaign.

Who was the freshmen receiver (for Nebraska), that got stripped at the end of the game under Kill, when we won in Lincoln? I remember thinking he'd be out for revenge, but I don't recall him doing all the much. Did he graduate last year? For some reason I thought he was only a junior... I can look it up too...

Pierson-El. Looks like he graduated last year. And is playing in the AAF...

Last edited:

Another Nebraska question. They defense is called the Blackshirts. Is that some nod to them being a good defense in the past? Kind of like the old Vikings were the Purple People Eaters? If so they might want to retire that nickname because it sounds silly when the defense is not good.

The Blackshirts are given to the first sting defenders at Nebraska to wear during practice.

First string? Okay that is cool I guess but it sounds cooler when they have a good defense.

There were a couple times they chose not to hand them out due to awful defense. So it's not a given...

I watched maybe half of the Northwestern game and was impressed by Neb both offense and defense. It’s a miracle they lost that game.

Martinez has a good arm and is the most mobile QB we’ve seen in a while. That poses problems.

Defensively I was surprised they only had 2 sacks and 6 hurries on Thorson. What little I saw he was evading pressure frequently. NW ran for only 1.4 yds a carry. Thorson passed for big numbers but he’s a senior and NFL talent.

I’ll say it again, this game worries me. I think Neb has been the Bad News Bears this year - finding ways to lose. Penalties, coaching errors.

I watched maybe half of the Northwestern game and was impressed by Neb both offense and defense. It’s a miracle they lost that game.

Martinez has a good arm and is the most mobile QB we’ve seen in a while. That poses problems.

Defensively I was surprised they only had 2 sacks and 6 hurries on Thorson. What little I saw he was evading pressure frequently. NW ran for only 1.4 yds a carry. Thorson passed for big numbers but he’s a senior and NFL talent.

I’ll say it again, this game worries me. I think Neb has been the Bad News Bears this year - finding ways to lose. Penalties, coaching errors.

I saw that movie, they often continued to lose. Just because Nebraska is going to put it together and beat someone this year doesn't mean it has to be us. Just because historically it has been us is a footnote that I'm going to drink to forget.

We have beaten them three out of last five.

History is on our side.

Last year Nebraska and Northwestern went to overtime in Lincoln, with NW pulling out the 31-24 win. The next week, we beat them 54-21. We match up with Nebraska better than NW.

Who was the freshmen receiver (for Nebraska), that got stripped at the end of the game under Kill, when we won in Lincoln? I remember thinking he'd be out for revenge, but I don't recall him doing all the much. Did he graduate last year? For some reason I thought he was only a junior... I can look it up too...

Pierson-El. Looks like he graduated last year. And is playing in the AAF...

I'll always remember him because he was their punt returner as well. And on every punt, the stadium announcer would say "Pierson-El back deep to return" and I kept thinking he was saying personnel, not naming the person, and it bothered me.

Top Bottom