Presser Points: Fleck provides an update on Shannon Brooks, explains O-Line success

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck said Tuesday that running back Shannon Brooks’ status with the football program is “evolving” as officials collect more information. Brooks was arrested early Sunday morning on allegations of domestic assault involving a male roommate. The Minneapolis city attorney’s office did not charge Brooks, but the investigation is ongoing.

“I wish I had more information for you at this particular time,” Fleck said. “Individuals are still collecting a lot of information, that’s why I’m not able to just say a lot of different things. I do know this, though, no charges were ever filed. Nobody was injured between Shannon and his male roommate.”

Brooks has returned to the team, but did not practice on Tuesday. Fleck said Brooks was set to practice and prepare for this week’s game vs. Nebraska. Instead, the team is collecting information before developing a concrete course of action. Fleck is still unsure whether Brooks has the chance to play this week against the Huskers.

“I think a lot of people are collecting information and that’s what I’ve been told. One thing we’re always going to do is make sure that we have every bit of information that we possibly can before we make decisions and Shannon understands that,” Fleck said. “I don’t know when I’ll decide [on his return]. As more information comes in, then I’ll make the decision,” Fleck said.

The Offensive Line is progressing

The Gophers’ offensive line helped pave the way for redshirt freshman Mohamed Ibrahim’s 157-yard performance during Saturday’s 30-14 loss to Ohio State. The physicality and fire of the unit stood out as rushing lanes were open the entire day.

“I think our offensive line has made huge strides, huge strides,” Fleck said. “Especially [when you] have two freshmen on the right side.”

Fleck said he felt like the offensive line was approaching the “turn,” following the team’s 21-14 win over Fresno State. However, this was the first game where he started to see them inching closer to finishing the curve.

“[After Fresno State], I said you got into the turn, now the hardest point is going out of the turn. Into the turn is one thing,” Fleck said. “When you talk about NASCAR and you’re talking about racecar driving, not many crashes happen into the turn, it’s as you start to go around it and start to come out of it, that’s the hardest part – to finish that curve.”

Mammoth true freshman offensive lineman Daniel Faalele made his first start during Saturday’s game. Fleck said he notices moments of dominance from Faalele, but mistakes still creep onto the field. It’s something the coaches are expecting from a young player beginning his first extended stint of college football.

“I think Daniel has provided a little spark….Daniel’s got to continue to get better,” Fleck said. “If you watch the film, there’s times you’re like, ‘wow, this guy’s is dominating.’ And then at times, you’re like, ‘he looks like he’s lost.’ Looking around, looking for Coach Callahan, but that’s what happens when you play a true freshman lineman.”

Youth growing up on the D-Line
The Gophers’ defensive line rotated more young players onto the field during Saturday’s game against Ohio State. Redshirt freshmen Esezi Otomewo and Boye Mafe both saw rotational action. Otomewo posted two quarterback hurries in the third quarter of last week's game. Fleck said both players are adjusting to the physical demands of college football. However, it’s the mental components that are really making a difference.

“I see a lot of guys growing up and it’s not just, they’re physically stronger, they’re getting there, but the mental and emotional approach to practice, to their life, to their academics, to their future. It’s becoming a lot more important,” Fleck said. “What these young men are doing is incredible. You’re seeing these kids from everywhere and you’re looking at your program and all you’re seeing is, ok, freshmen, if it wasn’t Carter who is it? It must be a freshman.”

Minnesota is focusing their recruiting efforts on defensive line depth in order to compete with physical play in the Big Ten. Last year, the Gophers invested resources into the wide receiver group and will now turn their attention to bolstering the offensive and defensive fronts.

“That’s the position we’re in and as we continue to add in recruiting in 2019 and 2020, that’s what we’re elevating,” Fleck said. “We’re racing to get to those guys being juniors and seniors, so you can finally have that where you’re just playing juniors and seniors every year at some point.”

This isn’t the only time fans will see young defensive linemen on the field in 2018. True freshman defensive tackle Jamal Teague has used just two of his four possible redshirt games. He is a candidate to see extended action over the final six games of the season.

“I think you’re even going to see Jamal Teague here coming up, for a few games being able to take advantage of the redshirt year,” Fleck said.

Gophers head to Nebraska
The Gophers’ next test will come on the road against Nebraska. The Cornhuskers have started the season 0-6 for the first team in program history. However, P.J. Fleck said the Huskers’ record isn’t truly indicative of their overall talent level. They have lost three games by less than five points in 2018.

“This team could easily be 5-1, 4-2, easily. They’ve lost on just like strange oddities. If I would tell you stories of how they lost, when you’re watching these games, you’d be like, no way. So you can’t look at that. This team is averaging close to 400 to 500 yards of offense per game.”

Minnesota will need to keep close tabs on all of Nebraska’s playmakers. Running back Devine Ozigbo is a powerful back, who is tough to bring down between the tackles. The Huskers will occasionally use read-option looks to take advantage true freshman quarterback Adrian Martinez’s athleticism, too. Through the air, J.D. Spielman, the son of Vikings’ General Manager Rick Spielman, is a spark-plug for the Nebraska offense. Spielman has posted 40 catches for 537 yards and six touchdowns in 2018. P.J. Fleck said he presents a variety of challenges for the Gophers’ secondary.

“JD Spielman presents everything. He’s fast, he’s explosive, he’s dynamic, he catches the ball well, he’s got a great catch radius, he blocks, he plays hard, they do a lot of things with him, they move him all over the field,” Fleck said. “He’s got a tremendous center of gravity, he creates separation, he’s a tremendous football player and it’s not just him, Stanley Morgan, the quarterback, where he’s an incredibly dynamic runner.”

VIDEO:

Last edited:

"I think a lot of people are collecting information and that’s what I’ve been told. One thing we’re always going to do is make sure that we have every bit of information that we possibly can before we make decisions..."

I think I found the source of the pattern of wasted timeouts...:p

I may be in the minority here but I enjoy listening to PJ speak. Once you get through some of the hyperbole, he provides a good amount of information and thought process.

Fleck said Brooks was set to practice and prepare for this week’s game vs. Nebraska

Looks like Brooks was possibly gonna make his season debut this game if he was cleared and felt prepared. Pretty sure that's not gonna happen now, even if all the information comes in and Fleck keeps him on the team.

No charges, and no injuries on either party bodes well I think. Unless something completely unknown comes to light I think he is just in the doghouse for a while. From the information available right now it seems like there was a mild scuffle (which shouldn't have happened IMO, but that's another debate all together), but no one was hurt, and the roommate was mad about the scuffle and called the cops.

Sounds like all "heat of the moment" decisions to me. I may be wrong though, don't quote me on any of this.

Fleck said Brooks was set to practice and prepare for this week’s game vs. Nebraska

Looks like Brooks was possibly gonna make his season debut this game if he was cleared and felt prepared. Pretty sure that's not gonna happen now, even if all the information comes in and Fleck keeps him on the team.

No charges, and no injuries on either party bodes well I think. Unless something completely unknown comes to light I think he is just in the doghouse for a while. From the information available right now it seems like there was a mild scuffle (which shouldn't have happened IMO, but that's another debate all together), but no one was hurt, and the roommate was mad about the scuffle and called the cops.

Sounds like all "heat of the moment" decisions to me. I may be wrong though, don't quote me on any of this.

Kind of off topic. Does anyone know the status of the other IMG offensive lineman? I tried to watch the rerun and see if he got in the game. Didn’t see him unless it was on a special team.

I may be in the minority here but I enjoy listening to PJ speak. Once you get through some of the hyperbole, he provides a good amount of information and thought process.

I agree.

Hey pharmacy gopher - thanks for the response. I didn’t know that web site existed. Thanks again. PS

I also like his enthusiasm and information.

Top Bottom