Fairness in Boat Rowing Act (FIBRA)

bfast

Reaction score
The 0-3 conference start is disappointing. Grabbing one of those first two was a reasonable expectation. However, in the spirit of the FIBRA (Fairness in Boat Rowing Act), I am going to reserve my first big-picture judgments until after these next three games.

In hindsight view of their opponents' schedules, the Gophers were definitely underdogs in all three of their conference losses:

@Maryland (Hung 34 on and beat #7 Texas, smoked Rutgers, put up some points @ a good Michigan team)
Iowa (Very convincing win @ Indiana and beat an Iowa State team that just knocked off then #6 West Virginia)
@Ohio State (They'll lose in playoff semifinal, but should still win B1G and make the playoff)

The money line might we're seeing as of now might not reflect this, but I think most would agree that MN is at least a pick'm or favorite in their next three:

@Nebraska (you've got to be the favorite against an 0-6 team)
Indiana (They're a 7.5 favorite on us now but they've done little besides a 7-point win over Rutgers)
@Illinois (Could be a tough one but Minnesota should still be considered favorite)

It's quite simple: they've lost the first three as underdogs, now let's see if they can hold serve as a favorite. Anything less than 3-0 or 2-1 in this stretch will sink the boat.

The home Fresno State win is looking better and better as a feather in the cap as they're knocking on the top 25 door again.

Bottom line: you cannot make a definitive judgment on this team when all they have done so far is win their games as favorite and lose their games as underdog. If this current form holds, they'll have 3-4 conference wins and a bowl game. That would at least be a passing grade for this season.

Last edited:

What's your definition of "will sink the boat"?

Same question here.

I agree the team really needs to win at least two of the next three, but not doing so would not be catastrophic. I may allow that it would be skating in the general direction of the "thin ice" side of the pond.

PJ undoubtedly has all of this year and all of 2019 (barring something really stupid), and unless things are obviously regressing at that point he'll have 2020 as well. Nothing wrong with hoping for the best.

JTG

I feel the next two are toss-ups, and Illinois should be a W. However, with the youth and coaching questions (we are all trying to figure this team out) I think all possibilities from 3-0 to 0-3 wouldn't be surprising to anyone

early this morning on WCCO, Dave Lee did a short interview with Fleck. I think it's a weekly deal.

Lee asked Fleck about Nebraska, and what followed would have made Lou Holtz proud. Fleck said Nebraska has a dangerous offense with a dynamic QB, a solid defense, good special teams, and a great young coach. He certainly gave the impression that the Gophers should be the underdog.

and yes, I know this is coach-speak: make your opponent sound as tough as possible.

I would just rather have a coach who says "they've got talent, but if we play up to our abilities, we can win the game."

early this morning on WCCO, Dave Lee did a short interview with Fleck. I think it's a weekly deal.

Lee asked Fleck about Nebraska, and what followed would have made Lou Holtz proud. Fleck said Nebraska has a dangerous offense with a dynamic QB, a solid defense, good special teams, and a great young coach. He certainly gave the impression that the Gophers should be the underdog.

and yes, I know this is coach-speak: make your opponent sound as tough as possible.

I would just rather have a coach who says "they've got talent, but if we play up to our abilities, we can win the game."

You think he told the team they can’t win?

You think he told the team they can’t win?

No. the 'CCO interview is for public consumption. I just think it's interesting when coaches try to make the opponent sound like a world-beater, because that does two things: 1. if you lose, you're setting up an excuse/reason for the loss 2. if you win, it makes you look better (hey, we beat a really good team).

Now, to be fair - I'm not breaking down film and tendencies for Nebraska. they might be a really bad match-up for the Gophers. there may be legitimate reasons for concern.

I just don't like coach speak. give us an honest assessment of the opponent - strengths and weaknesses, including areas where you think your team might have an advantage. this "oh, the other team is soooooo good" stuff is a pet peeve of mine.

No. the 'CCO interview is for public consumption. I just think it's interesting when coaches try to make the opponent sound like a world-beater, because that does two things: 1. if you lose, you're setting up an excuse/reason for the loss 2. if you win, it makes you look better (hey, we beat a really good team).

Now, to be fair - I'm not breaking down film and tendencies for Nebraska. they might be a really bad match-up for the Gophers. there may be legitimate reasons for concern.

I just don't like coach speak. give us an honest assessment of the opponent - strengths and weaknesses, including areas where you think your team might have an advantage. this "oh, the other team is soooooo good" stuff is a pet peeve of mine.

Then don't listen to his press conferences if it bothers you so much.

He said on weekly KFAN show all that stuff and that he looks at Nebby as a 5-1 team. So five of their losses are really wins*?

I really don't want it to be us and Rutgers with no conference wins. Get an early lead. I hope the Smiths can play - particularly Terrell. Martinez is good.

I think the reality is that a lot of matchups between teams are a lot closer than the casual fan suspects. In other words, the talent levels aren't that tremendously different, and winning is determined by the team that makes fewer mistakes or makes just a couple more crucial plays over the course of the game. Look at last week's tilt at OSU. I'm not about to even try to claim that we matchup favorably with the Buckeyes, yet we outplayed them for much of the game, and lost because we made mistakes and they didn't.

So I don't completely dismiss what a coach says about an upcoming opponent. Yes, some of it is CYA, but that doesn't mean that there isn't some truth there.

JTG

Fleck keeps the job into year three no matter what, but I believe anything short of 6 wins is a failing grade for this year (what I mean by boat sink) and would rightly put him on a bare minimum 6 wins or more hot seat next year.

Last edited:

He said on weekly KFAN show all that stuff and that he looks at Nebby as a 5-1 team. So five of their losses are really wins*?

Everyone else knows they are an 0-6 team. Is this the same logic that dubbed last year's 4-8 (2-7) Maryland team as one of the most talented in the Big Ten?

Everyone else knows they are an 0-6 team. Is this the same logic that dubbed last year's 4-8 (2-7) Maryland team as one of the most talented in the Big Ten?

regardless of their record, Nebraska can beat us. It will be a close game that will come down to one or two key plays, like most games. It would be best if we got on top and made them one dimensional.

I don't see these next three as anything more than pick'em games.

That said, still easier games than all three of our conference games so far.

Top Bottom