PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 10-14-18

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
(shorty's note - 2 to 3" of snow on the ground in Windom, MN at 10:00am...........)

Gopher FB Coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on WCCO Radio.

Sid: have to be happy with some of the things the team did yesterday.
PJ: no moral victories. we didn't win the FB game. we had opportunities to do it. I keep telling our FB team how good they are. they're young.
we've grown so much from our 1st day here. the results are mine. that's on me. I told the team you just worry about getting better. I'm the one who makes the decisions. you focus on playing as hard as you can. we missed 2 FG. fumbled going in. had plenty of opportunity to win game.

Sid: Johnson's fumble turned game around
PJ: made great catch. trying to secure it, and the ball gets knocked out. the call could have went either way. the refs called it a fumble. Johnson did great job catching it - but the guy knocked it loose. it was a big play. we turned it over - they didn't

Sid: Johnson caught passes for 119 yards
PJ: great game besides the fumble. we're not into individual performances; we're into the team - winning FB games. Mo Ibrahim played tremendous. On defense, we hold them under 100 yards rushing. got to stop the run. we're building and developing the secondary -got to keep doing that. need to find right combination to uplift us in the back end.

Sid: your RB ran for 157 yards against the OSU defense
PJ: our players are getting better. in year 2, I'm not focused on just results focused on getting better. players who thought they were 2nd to 4th string at the start of the year are starting. we've got to win FB games. we're drawing a line in the sand. season 1 was the first 6 games, season 2 is the next 6 games. have to build on success.

Mona: got TE involved. used option pitch
PJ: we need to find ways to move the ball creatively. involve everybody. TE's haven't played a ton of FB. need to find right combinations. we will red-shirt Brevyn Spann-Ford. our TE's do a nice job. had good game. need to find creative ways to move the ball, with the style we have right now. give opponents credit.

Max: is your OL becoming more physical?
PJ: we're getting there. we will always be getting there. we're more physical now than at the beginning of season. we're only going to continue to improve. we've got young players starting, young players backing them up. that's why we have scrimmages with our young players on Sunday nights, so they're ready to play if needed.

Sid: coaches did fantastic job. has to give those kids confidence
PJ: we're getting closer. close is only good in horseshoes and hand grenades. we have to close the gap. it's a race to maturity 50% of team is FR. we have to be mature. some of the things we're doing are youthful mistakes. I know as head coach those are going to happen. we have to manage how they come out on the other side of those things. we're making immature mistakes. those will come down - will be having less of those mistakes. have to build on that.

Sid: Cashman.
PJ: tremendous FB player. learning to be a vocal leader. really developed the last 18-19 months. needed to get him to come out of his shell. great tackler. tremendous person. has his own charitable organization. with him, it's all about giving. doing a great job of seeing our young kids on defense get what they need. we played 2 FR on DL yesterday. he's doing a great job bringing people together.

Mona: been able to avoid off the field problems. Report of Brooks being arrested.
PJ: the process is unfolding. I'm not able to comment about any aspects of that. I'd like to, but I'm not able at this time.

Sid: who did you like yesterday?
PJ: Weyler up front. our front 7 on defense played tremendous stopping the run 2 weeks in a row. got to tie up some things on the back end. keep recruiting on back end. we knew we'd have to build the secondary over the course of several years. focus on developing players. Coney Durr played well before penalty. it was not malicious. But it was, on my opinion - targeting is targeting. he'll learn a lesson from that. he has an opportunity to grow from that. Mo Ibrahim played really well. started out season as 3rd or 4th RB - deserves a lot of credit.

Mona: 4th down situation. OSU made a hard push to get Coughlin.
PJ: Coughlin is one of the best players in the country. not a kid that has to prove anything to people. he gets better every week. may have been our MVP yesterday. love how hard he plays. we're lucky to have him. got to get more guys like Carter in the program. // On the 4th down play - I was told absolutely not. not even close. nobody is stopping it. I wasn't going to waste a time out. I was told that from officials on side. sometimes they say to wait for the buzzer. this time, said no. I've got to use our timeouts at critical situations. want to hold onto those. It would have been foolish to use a timeout in that situation. they marked it where they marked it. doesn't match film. they say what they say.

Sid: stuffed them on 4th and 1
PJ: our kids play so hard. I said you're always going to like how hard we play. got to do things with recruiting, building, rebuilding. develop players inside the program. want them to believe the U of M is greatest place in the world. we need to recruit outside student-athletes to come to the U of M who believe the same thing. how hard they play shows how much they love each other. proud of players. no moral victories. got to get better.

Sid: congratulations. 30 point underdog. Murray's
PJ: RTB, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers.

Thanks SON.

Did anyone locate a post game presser from PJ yesterday? I could not locate it.

Fleck’s response to the Brooks questions seems like he knows something that supports Shannon. Can’t imagine he’s saying he wishes he could bury a senior right now but he can’t comment. My speculation based on that would be he’s hinting at an overreach by the campus PD

Fleck’s response to the Brooks questions seems like he knows something that supports Shannon. Can’t imagine he’s saying he wishes he could bury a senior right now but he can’t comment. My speculation based on that would be he’s hinting at an overreach by the campus PD

I'm not worried about this one either. I think it is going to shake out and blow over.... Particularly if it does not directly involve a female or sexual escapades, which it appears to not.

Thanks SON.

Did anyone locate a post game presser from PJ yesterday? I could not locate it.

Here you go.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gCglo4N9BR8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I’m almost overwhelmed by coach speak. Coach, if there aren’t moral victories then there also aren’t rationalizations or excuses for being young. Look to your peers at Iowa State, Purdue, etc. Next year we’ll lose some key guys on the lines, Cashman, Huff, Shenault. Every team has personnel issues. Just find a way to win.

I’m almost overwhelmed by coach speak. Coach, if there aren’t moral victories then there also aren’t rationalizations or excuses for being young. Look to your peers at Iowa State, Purdue, etc. Next year we’ll lose some key guys on the lines, Cashman, Huff, Shenault. Every team has personnel issues. Just find a way to win.

The Purdue and Iowa State teams who have the same record as us?

I think he may be taking into account their tougher schedules than ours and multiple P5 wins with wins against ranked teams as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he may be taking into account their tougher schedules than ours and multiple P5 wins with wins against ranked teams as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps...but as there are no moral victories then all wins are equivalent. For example, beating NMSU at home is exactly the same as beating Iowa on the road. It’s common sense.

Purdue started with three losses but they were all very close. Since then they have beaten three straight power conference teams convincingly. Iowa State beat an undefeated and sixth ranked team yesterday and also beat a team (OK St) who was ranked at the time. Meanwhile, we have yet to beat a power conference team and our best performance against one was staying within 17 points of Ohio State.

Purdue started with three losses but they were all very close. Since then they have beaten three straight power conference teams convincingly. Iowa State beat an undefeated and sixth ranked team yesterday and also beat a team (OK St) who was ranked at the time. Meanwhile, we have yet to beat a power conference team and our best performance against one was staying within 17 points of Ohio State.

The Fresno St win is as good as any of Purdue’s wins regardless if BC was ranked at the time. I happen to think we’ll have a pretty good chance to beat Illinois, Nebraska, and Northwestern - who they lost to. We just haven’t played them yet.

Plus they lost to Eastern Michigan, which is much worse than any of our losses.

Last edited:

I actually think coach gives a fair press conference. I think he is as transparent as he can be, has no problem accepting fault, respects his players (and the opponent)... Whaddya do? We ARE young, others are too, but our day in the sun is coming (IMO).
:cool:

Your post is the one that doesn’t make any sense, I just wanted to hear your attempt to rationalize
Seriously, let the professionals not make sense. Until then gort klatuu barada nicto...[emoji55]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks Son for this recap. Very much appreciated by many!

I don’t get the refs telling Fleck they’re absolutely not going to review the play. They review plays that are obvious fumbles, interceptions, non fumbles, and non interceptions. It seems odd you wouldn’t review one of the key moments in the game. It cost us 7 points.

I don’t get the refs telling Fleck they’re absolutely not going to review the play. They review plays that are obvious fumbles, interceptions, non fumbles, and non interceptions. It seems odd you wouldn’t review one of the key moments in the game. It cost us 7 points.

Should have burned a timeout. That was a huge turnaround in the game, especially since they eventually scored.

Should have burned a timeout. That was a huge turnaround in the game, especially since they eventually scored.

The refs told him that if he did take a timeout, they were still not going to review it.

The Fresno St win is as good as any of Purdue’s wins regardless if BC was ranked at the time. I happen to think we’ll have a pretty good chance to beat Illinois, Nebraska, and Northwestern - who they lost to. We just haven’t played them yet.

Purdue’s 2 deep is also loaded with Seniors and Juniors. On offense they have 7 Seniors, 1 Junior and 3 Sophmore’s starting. In addition they have an experienced Senior QB in Blough. Brohm inherited some experience.

What you think will happen in the future is irrelevant to judging comparative records to date. The point is that Iowa State and Purdue may have the same record as us but those are teams that have demonstrated dramatic improvements in performance as the season has progressed. We really haven't done that unless you consider improved play in a 17 point loss to a highly ranked team as equivalent to what those teams have done lately. I don't and I don't think any rational and objective sports fan would.

What you think will happen in the future is irrelevant to judging comparative records to date. The point is that Iowa State and Purdue may have the same record as us but those are teams that have demonstrated dramatic improvements in performance as the season has progressed. We really haven't done that unless you consider improved play in a 17 point loss to a highly ranked team as equivalent to what those teams have done lately. I don't and I don't think any rational and objective sports fan would.

They played different schedules to date, and have several common opponents coming up, so yes the future is relevant.

Purdue has played 6 teams that are currently nowhere to be found the polls and are 3-3. The Gophers have played the AP#2, AP#19, and two teams who received votes - Fresno State and Maryland, the same Maryland team that gave the AP#7 team their only loss. I don't think Purdue would have fared any better against that schedule, nor am I convinced they could even beat Fresno St.

But I guess by your logic, the Gophers should have lost to New Mexico St in order to show 'dramatic improvement'.

They played different schedules to date, and have several common opponents coming up, so yes the future is relevant.

Purdue has played 6 teams that are currently nowhere to be found the polls and are 3-3. The Gophers have played the AP#2, AP#19, and two teams who received votes - Fresno State and Maryland, the same Maryland team that gave the AP#7 team their only loss. I don't think Purdue would have fared any better against that schedule, nor am I convinced they could even beat Fresno St.

But I guess by your logic, the Gophers should have lost to New Mexico St in order to show 'dramatic improvement'.

So, just to be clear.....are you going on record that if we end up below Purdue in the west at the end of the season, that you will admit they're a better team? Or will you simply pull in a new set of criteria to support your argument. Just want to get it in writing before it happens.

I do applaud you for dropping Iowa State from your argument. That argument was poor from the start, although we did play one common opponent and both lost, so I guess we're the same, right? Except the whole, beating Power 5 Teams and not just playing two ranked teams, but beating them.

Also, can you share with me any statistical category that Minnesota outranks Purdue in from conference play? Just curious.

So, just to be clear.....are you going on record that if we end up below Purdue in the west at the end of the season, that you will admit they're a better team? Or will you simply pull in a new set of criteria to support your argument. Just want to get it in writing before it happens.

I do applaud you for dropping Iowa State from your argument. That argument was poor from the start, although we did play one common opponent and both lost, so I guess we're the same, right? Except the whole, beating Power 5 Teams and not just playing two ranked teams, but beating them.

Also, can you share with me any statistical category that Minnesota outranks Purdue in from conference play? Just curious.

Did anyone other than me watch Iowa State vs WVU last night? WVU looked horrid, maybe it was an off game for them last night, but they didn't look top 35, much less # 6 in the country last night.

Top Bottom