Doogie: RB Shannon Brooks was arrested, and here's the jail roster

These are alleged crimes, not solely code violations. Stop pretending to be investigators, judges, and juries when dealing with criminal matters. Stop making up definitions and presenting quack psychology as accepted science.

This would totally turn the education system on its head. There would be nothing to do, nothing to teach.

It would be nice to have a real cross section of the student body (or public) on these panels rather than the indoctrinated minions. I just came off jury duty. Nobody is fed false statistics and science prior to the trial. During...maybe.

you statement reminds me of the "I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night..."

per Randy:

Brooks not on trip

Gophers senior running back Shannon Brooks did not make the trip. Brooks was arrested Sunday morning after allegedly assaulting his roommate. He was released from Hennepin County jail Monday, and no charges were filed, though the Minneapolis City Attorney's office continues its investigation, which is expected to be complete next week.

"Everything is still evolving," Fleck said after the game. "I take that stuff very seriously. When that stuff happens, we're going to choose to do the right thing. … I just want to make sure I have all the facts."

Fleck revealed Tuesday that his plan before the arrest was to play Brooks vs. the Huskers, and Fleck said during his weekly TV show that Brooks would practice Thursday. Brooks has yet to play this season because of a torn knee ligament suffered just before spring practice. Fleck plans to play Brooks in four games so he can preserve a year of eligibility for 2019.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-zack-annexstad-sent-to-hospital-with-injury/498123481/

Go Gophers!!

I think everyone, U of MN included, is waiting to find out if any criminal charges will be filed?? If and when it is announced that there won't be any, then whichever U office will handle the internal investigation can start doing that.

Don't know how long that all will take, but wouldn't be surprised if it takes the rest of the season. And wouldn't be surprised that Brooks won't be played until after the investigations are over. So maybe not until bowl game, if there is one.

Does anyone know if his apartment is on campus? If it is off campus, not sure there is anything the U can do to investigate.

Does anyone know if his apartment is on campus? If it is off campus, not sure there is anything the U can do to investigate.

Huh? No no no ... if any currently enrolled student breaks the student code of conduct, regardless where it happened, the U has the right to investigate. That's the current rules. There is of course the hotly debated issue of if that should be how it works, if that should be illegal, etc.

Generally speaking if it involves a a student, they can investigate the student.

I don't think the U's disciplinary process has much concept of jurisdiction or limits outside that... I mean previously they didn't think of say notifying a student if there's an appeal...

Sounds like it was in the apartments on 15th avenue right across from the team practice facility which would make the off campus.

The student conduct code can be applied to actions that take place off-campus as long as they harm the university so they could investigate as a potential conduct code violation.

From what I've heard Brooks only threw one punch so I don't think they will make much of it. Do they investigate every dispute between roommates that gets physical?

Sounds like it was in the apartments on 15th avenue right across from the team practice facility which would make the off campus.

The student conduct code can be applied to actions that take place off-campus as long as they harm the university so they could investigate as a potential conduct code violation.

From what I've heard Brooks only threw one punch so I don't think they will make much of it. Do they investigate every dispute between roommates that gets physical?

If no one had called the cops, I bet none of us even know this happened. But they were called, the media scooped it, and here we are.

I don't agree that it has to "harm the university" to qualify for an internal investigation. Would you say that, for example, if two students cheat on homework, and the cheating occurs off-campus, that the university shouldn't be allowed to investigate??

If no one had called the cops, I bet none of us even know this happened. But they were called, the media scooped it, and here we are.

I don't agree that it has to "harm the university" to qualify for an internal investigation. Would you say that, for example, if two students cheat on homework, and the cheating occurs off-campus, that the university shouldn't be allowed to investigate??

Cheating on homework is completely fine. Until you turn it in to an on campus class. That's when you've broken the code of conduct. If a random student is in Florida for spring break and gets in a scuffle or gets a ticket for public drunkenness, the U is not going to investigate.

Cheating on homework is completely fine. Until you turn it in to an on campus class. That's when you've broken the code of conduct. If a random student is in Florida for spring break and gets in a scuffle or gets a ticket for public drunkenness, the U is not going to investigate.

The homework was turned in on-line, at the off-campus apartment. We can play this game all day, I'm sure.

The U might not investigate, moreso because it might not be aware it ever happened. The point is that it has the right to investigate ...

Personally I think the university conduct code and their ability to investigate goes way too far but my opinion doesn't matter at all.

The exact wording is

At the discretion of the president or delegate, the Student Conduct Code also shall apply to offcampus student and student group conduct when the conduct, as alleged, adversely affects a substantial University interest

Both the safety of students and not receiving negative media attention could be considered substantial University interests. In your example, ensuring fairness of grades could be considered a substantial University interest so they could investigate if students cheated on any graded work.

Thank you, that makes my point much better than I have so far.

And that would be the argument of the U's legal team, to any legal challenge to this system. And I think they have a good chance to win in court, too. But could also lose or lawmakers could disagree and create new laws to limit it.

I guess Fleck could play him tonight anyway .... but if charges do come, or if the U investigation office recommends a suspension .... it will look really bad on Fleck. It's a risk.

I’d play em ... And if someone ask a question about him in the post game I’d say he had an excellent game now stfu.

I don’t see why they would necessarily look bad if there are no charges. What can they possibly be investigating at this point? Waiting on forensic DNA and hair sample tests? Looking at high school yearbooks?

I don’t see why they would necessarily look bad if there are no charges. What can they possibly be investigating at this point? Waiting on forensic DNA and hair sample tests? Looking at high school yearbooks?

This better not turn into Royce White 2.0.

I would guess Fleck is talking with Coyle on this.

If they know it's nothing major, they could probably play him without much public outcry.

"We waited for two weeks for charges, information is fluid. Based on what we know right now, there wasn't a reason to withhold him longer not knowing if he was going to be charged. Cannot penalize the kids forever without some substantial information that something was going to happen."

"Domestic" may mean in the same domicile - hence a roommate scrap - misdemeanor. (Hopefully, that's all it is).

If they know it's nothing major, they could probably play him without much public outcry.

"We waited for two weeks for charges, information is fluid. Based on what we know right now, there wasn't a reason to withhold him longer not knowing if he was going to be charged. Cannot penalize the kids forever without some substantial information that something was going to happen."

If he's talking to Coyle, PJ will be too confused with what he says to know if he can or can't play.

Investigation still ongoing

https://www.twincities.com/2018/10/...next-week-for-city-attorneys-office-decision/

This reeks to high heaven. No injuries, lowest possible referral of charges. No legitimate reason this should be dragged out this long. Only happening because he is a football player and Mike Freeman likes being the tough guy now.

I know of a college roommate of another college student who will likely be getting his a** kicked after a certain college students college football career is over.

My effort at deductive reasoning.

For flecks sake hope coyle is no where near this situation.

Rooting through the garbage and using a plunger to sift for a stool sample.

For flecks sake hope coyle is no where near this situation.

If I'm Fleck, I'm keeping all emails and CC'ing Kaler on all decisions with follow up CYA emails.

" As discussed, we all agreed..."

If I'm Fleck, I'm keeping all emails and CC'ing Kaler on all decisions with follow up CYA emails.

" As discussed, we all agreed..."

Oh god bringing Kaler in is the last thing he wants. When Coyle and Kaler get together coaches get F#cked.

Kaler wants no part of this, he's just sticking around to get the new prez's feet wet. As far as he's concerned, he has done his duty serving as the U's president.

That's why they should have done for Royce. Instead they let the UMPD "investigate" for 3 months.

Based on what Fleck has been saying, they are going to wait until the process is finished. I just hope Shenault, ZA, and the big D tackle are good to go.

Top Bottom