Doogie: RB Shannon Brooks was arrested, and here's the jail roster

I would bet that any young men who spend as much time in the gym lifting and on the field getting knocked as these athletes do then it's only natural that they would have testosterone levels at the ceiling. -- And some of them would get into off field fights. This is natural human biology. Not culture.

I believe there has been studies that support this. But, the point was that it's not a "bully" culture that explains why some football player are aggressive. It's the nature of the game, the training, and the young men who are best at it. Let's be honest. This isn't tennis. It's natural to expect some of these young men will be aggressive off the field.

I would bet that any young men who spend as much time in the gym lifting and on the field getting knocked as these athletes do then it's only natural that they would have testosterone levels at the ceiling. -- And some of them would get into off field fights. This is natural human biology. Not culture.

Not only that, the crave for sex. The International Olympic Committee distributed 350,000 condoms in the 2016 Rio Olympic Games. You can be sure they are not making animal balloons!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2016/08/03/in-the-rio-olympics-42-condoms-per-athlete/#43678c706aa4

This is probably not going to be popular but my general belief is that football players are bullies and thus Brooks is likely at fault in the incident. It sounds like nobody was hurt so it likely won't go anywhere but I completely believe a story that a number of players pushed around/ beat up another student. I suspect there are many incidents like this that don't go to the police.

It is unfortunate but the culture of the sport leads to a macho pack mentality that can lead to some bad decisions. That said, I think Fleck softens this mentality much more than most footbaw coaches.
You are way off base in your generalization.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

This is probably not going to be popular but my general belief is that football players are bullies and thus Brooks is likely at fault in the incident. It sounds like nobody was hurt so it likely won't go anywhere but I completely believe a story that a number of players pushed around/ beat up another student. I suspect there are many incidents like this that don't go to the police.

It is unfortunate but the culture of the sport leads to a macho pack mentality that can lead to some bad decisions. That said, I think Fleck softens this mentality much more than most footbaw coaches.

the only thing you were right about is that your post wouldn’t be popular. Not sure which camp you’re in when it comes to supporting the Gophers. If football players bother you, go to the volleyball forum. Personally I don’t think our players are macho enough. Real macho players seldom lose.

the only thing you were right about is that your post wouldn’t be popular. Not sure which camp you’re in when it comes to supporting the Gophers. If football players bother you, go to the volleyball forum. Personally I don’t think our players are macho enough. Real macho players seldom lose.

Ohhhhhhh Yeah!! (Said like Randy Savage)

So, is SB4 with the team in Lincoln?
Hoping all that Football player testosterone doesn’t result in too many fights this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winnie frequently posts weak garbage such as that. No surprise.

A lot of people are afraid about making judgments like that with no facts or proof became they are afraid of looking unintelligent. I guess in that respect you are brave.

A lot of people are afraid about making judgments like that with no facts or proof became they are afraid of looking unintelligent. I guess in that respect you are brave.

I see what you did there. To quote Monty Python: like it Centurion! Like it!

Umm. What?? Is this theory based on anything other than your own bias. I have never heard the correlation between the amount of time of lifting weights and playing football leads a greater chance of being involved in a fight.
It sounds like anti-testosterone bias.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Gopherhole truism that few will deny: Being on the wrong side of LesBolstad means being on the right side of the debate.

Really? Check out other replies, Dunce. Just a bad post. You'll do better next time.

Definitive proof of lifting—>murderous rage

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-fr4xZKhFIg?time=3" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is some homework to help everyone understand the legal background of college discipline infractions. Too many assumptions are being thrown around in these discussions.

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/university-discipline-the-illusion-of-due-process-44647

A nice write up. So many fail to appreciate the long term consequences of an adverse ruling including the ability to matriculate at other universities, graduate or professional programs, and in some professions things like accreditation, licensing, and on and on.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a federal law protecting the privacy of student education records. FERPA also gives parents certain rights with respect to their child's education records. Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or student to release any information from the student's education record. However, FERPA allows schools to disclose those records (the paper trail) without consent to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR § 99.31): (1) School officials with legitimate educational interest; (2) Other schools to which a student is transferring; (3) Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes; (4) Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student; (5) Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school; (6) Accrediting organizations; (7) To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena; (8) Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and (9) State and local authorities within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific state law.

I'm not sure I buy such a blanket statement as " the punitive consequences to the student can be as profound as any criminal court sentence" at face value.

That might be true in a very limited number of cases, but guessing it is not at all true in the majority.

Here is some homework to help everyone understand the legal background of college discipline infractions. Too many assumptions are being thrown around in these discussions.

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/university-discipline-the-illusion-of-due-process-44647

Your article reads like a lawyers ad on late night TV. The process they describe for disciplining students at Texas colleges make it seem like inquisitions similar to what went on during the Middle Ages. That indeed may be what is happening in Texas and other states with no tradition and compliance with due process and respect for the Bill or Rights. Lets not forget that a large percentage of Texans want to secede from the union. But that's not what is going on in Minnesota and other states with long histories of respecting the constitutional rights of ALL of their citizens.

The article seems to imply that colleges and universities are incapable of fairly disciplining their students because their student code of conduct systems are not operated in the same way as the civil and criminal court systems. The notion that schools shouldn't be able to enforce their student codes of conduct is patently absurd. Most college campuses are the size of small cities with the same kinds of issues and problems every city in America has. Many have their own police departments and all of them have student codes of conduct that govern the behavior of their students.

If colleges have to resort to the civil court systems to discipline their students they would soon become an administrative nightmare because of the burdens and delays that are part of every civil court system in America. Most reasonable people understand this and agree that colleges and universities must have the ability to maintain order in their classrooms and on their campuses through student codes of conduct that provide for adequate notice, fair and impartial hearings, and the ability to appeal adverse rulings. The available evidence indicates that is what we are getting at the U.

Last edited:

I'm not sure I buy such a blanket statement as " the punitive consequences to the student can be as profound as any criminal court sentence" at face value.

That might be true in a very limited number of cases, but guessing it is not at all true in the majority.

Then you’re not thinking very hard.

Your article reads like a lawyers ad on late night TV. The process they describe for disciplining students at Texas colleges make it seem like inquisitions similar to what went on during the Middle Ages. That indeed may be what is happening in Texas and other states with no tradition and compliance with due process and respect for the Bill or Rights. Lets not forget that a large percentage of Texans want to secede from the union. But that is is not what is going on in Minnesota and other states with long histories of respecting the constitutional rights of ALL of their citizens.

The article seems to imply that colleges and universities are incapable of fairly disciplining their students because their student code of conduct systems are not operated in the same way as the civil and criminal court systems. The notion that schools shouldn't be able to enforce their student codes of conduct is patently absurd. Most college campuses are the size of small cities with the same kinds of issues and problems every city in America has. Many have their own police departments and all of them have student codes of conduct that govern the behavior of their students.

If colleges have to resort to the civil court systems to discipline their students they would soon become an administrative nightmare because of the burdens and delays that are part of every civil court system in America. Most reasonable people understand this and agree that colleges and universities must have the ability to maintain order in their classrooms and on their campuses through student codes of conduct that provide for adequate notice, fair and impartial hearings, and the ability to appeal adverse rulings. The available evidence indicates that is what we are getting at the U.

Yes, this is what reasonable people are saying.

As would be proper. These are alleged crimes, not solely code violations. Stop pretending to be investigators, judges, and juries when dealing with criminal matters. Stop making up definitions and presenting quack psychology as accepted science.

Too late.

So, is SB4 with the team in Lincoln?
Hoping all that Football player testosterone doesn’t result in too many fights this weekend.

How many different numbers has he worn?

As would be proper. These are alleged crimes, not solely code violations. Stop pretending to be investigators, judges, and juries when dealing with criminal matters. Stop making up definitions and presenting quack psychology as accepted science.

Too late.
Can we get you on the EOAA?

Can we get you on the EOAA?

It would be nice to have a real cross section of the student body (or public) on these panels rather than the indoctrinated minions. I just came off jury duty. Nobody is fed false statistics and science prior to the trial. During...maybe.

Back to Shannon Brooks. Did he make the trip to Lincoln? Will he play? Any indications if the City Attorney has wrapped up the case?

As per usual in the political climate these days, someone is always trying to pretend it is as simple as black and white.

There are cases and scenarios where the university's process is unfair. And there are cases where it is fair, along with shades of gray in between.

Top Bottom