Doogie: RB Shannon Brooks was arrested, and here's the jail roster

Very strange that he was arrested for domestic assault and not simple or aggravated assault. Domestic assault can be used in circumstances of people simply together as roommates, but it is not very common. Usually it reserved for two parties that are related or in an intimate relationship. A fight between two adults, even if roommates is rarely charged as domestic assault. Now he has just been arrested and not charged, so things could change, but it is odd.

Well, I doubt police can make assumptions about sexual orientation and relationship status, so since they are roommates, perhaps police are instructed to deal with all male-male cases living together as domestic so it's non-discriminatory.

A little dust up between roommates.... Had one myself in the early '80's... I'm still close friends with my combatant...

We went from the tiff, to the Warehouse Bar in Canal Park, Duluth.... que sera.

Ask any coach, and they'll yes they are young. Very young kids. They don't all arrive on campus with savoire faire.
That's not the way the EOAA wants it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well, I doubt police can make assumptions about sexual orientation and relationship status, so since they are roommates, perhaps police are instructed to deal with all male-male cases living together as domestic so it's non-discriminatory.

Perhaps you are right, but I have usually seen it geared toward the other side as Domestic Assault can carry more severe penalties.

A little dust up between roommates.... Had one myself in the early '80's... I'm still close friends with my combatant...

We went from the tiff, to the Warehouse Bar in Canal Park, Duluth.... que sera.

I don't want to assume that is all it was out of respect for the victim in case it was far more.

But in college we had a few instances where things got out of hand, but we never thought about calling the police, although we probably should have.

I don't want to assume that is all it was out of respect for the victim in case it was far more.

But in college we had a few instances where things got out of hand, but we never thought about calling the police, although we probably should have.

Agree.... facts are needed... but 5th degree?... it don't take much.... I hope for both parties it shakes out...

5th degree could be threats of violence on a misdemeanor charge, doesn't even have to be a physical altercation.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

It could have been a neighbor that called police because Brooks and roommate were loud, wrestling, playing video games and keeping neighbor awake.......this could have been anything.

Hopefully for the victim it wasn't anything too bad.

He's not injured it appears, so that's good.

Hopefully he just felt uncomfortable with something between him and Shannon and he reported it to police rather than not report it, and in the end, it was more of a pre-emptive thing than something where there were significant issues.
I don't think we'll know until we hear more.

Was he arrested because of his notoriety as a Gopher football player?

Was he arrested because of his notoriety as a Gopher football player?
That remains to be seen. The current idea on this board is that it is an "arrest to sort out Monday" kind of thing.

Perhaps you are right, but I have usually seen it geared toward the other side as Domestic Assault can carry more severe penalties.
Disorderly conduct seems more appropriate but it was technically a "domestic" incident.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

More going on there than just the assault on his roommate, there were other threats made and several other football players also on scene as the situation unfolded at the house they lived at.

I had two roommates in college get in a fight over who needed to clean up the dishes which had dried mac & cheese sitting in it for a day or so. We let them duke it out a bit and decided to break it up after a few shots the stomach were landed by each. I think we made them both do the dishes together and all was good. We get a good laugh out of it when we all get together reminiscing.

Go Gophers!!

I had two roommates in college get in a fight over who needed to clean up the dishes which had dried mac & cheese sitting in it for a day or so. We let them duke it out a bit and decided to break it up after a few shots the stomach were landed by each. I think we made them both do the dishes together and all was good. We get a good laugh out of it when we all get together reminiscing.

Go Gophers!!

I just threw dishes away and bought new ones.

More going on there than just the assault on his roommate, there were other threats made and several other football players also on scene as the situation unfolded at the house they lived at.
Got a link or source to share that has the info?

Some jurisdictions take someone (almost always the male) off to jail regardless of any evidence something happened if they get a call. I had a psycho girl one time barricade herself in my condo swearing she owned it on our second date and threatened to call the cops and tell them I hit her unless she could spend the night. Her call in Colorado was automatic jail so I was forced to spend the whole night defusing crazy. And that’s one of a couple incidents I alone have been threatened with and make me wonder how many complaints are made up to destroy someone or get attention.

False. As a police officer there is a certain thing called probable cause needed to make an arrest. There has to be more than just a statement from a victim. Maybe the criminal code is different in your jurisdiction but we need evidence of crime in order to make an arrest. Reports on the other hand, we have to take a report on dang near everything when it comes to DV.

I do find it odd that they did classify this as a DV if it involved a roommate. Yes it does fall under the DV classification but very rarely is it used outside of the tradition relationship use.

I met Shannon and he was one of the nicest, most polite and respectful people I've known. If this happened it's bad but he's not an a**hole.

Does he live off-campus within the jurisdiction of city police, or in an area within the jurisdiction of the campus police?

I met Shannon and he was one of the nicest, most polite and respectful people I've known. If this happened it's bad but he's not an a**hole.

Yeah, but you hadn’t just beaten him at CoD.

I believe his girlfriend. There has to be some domestic disagreement involved that escalated. Like in "the Odd Couple" that got serious. One may be a bonafide lazy slop and the other a neatnik.

Last edited:

Do we know who called the police? Was it someone in the house (the kid Brooks was fighting) or was it a neighbor?
Perhaps that information is not yet available.

I believe his girlfriend. There has to be some domestic disagreement involved that escalated. Like in "the Odd Couple" that got serious. One may be a bonafide lazy slop and the other a neatnik.

I think early adulthood/college was eye opening for a lot of us in terms of how sloppy our fellow males can be. Hygiene and cleanliness like cave men in some cases. Maybe worse.

It will be interesting to see what this was all about. Only weapons were arms/hands, no injuries. Seems a bit odd on the surface.

(warning - not serious)

Well, the report says no weapons other than hands and feet were involved. So, I think I know what happened. They were watching the new season of "Iron Fist" on Netflix, and decided to have their own version of Danny Rand vs. Davos.

Reading through this thread from the beginning was quite a roller coaster ride. I wish I would have just read the Strib article first.

-Male roommate
-No weapons
-No injuries to either party

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a link or source to share that has the info?

Knowledge gained about the situation due to my line of work from others who were on site, however I am not allowed to disseminate the specifics of the actual events. Those details will come out at some point this week more than likely.

Last edited:

At face value this doesn’t seem like much. “Threats” = angry words. So what?

So far this sounds like a little fight, nothing extraordinary.

Top Bottom