Doogie: RB Shannon Brooks was arrested, and here's the jail roster

Way too many variables to have a clue about what happened. Was it a shoving match - an out-and-out fight? was the roommate injured? what provoked the fight? was alcohol involved? are there any witnesses?

Maybe it's something serious. maybe it's a stupid argument that got out of hand. maybe it's two guys fighting over a girl. too many possibilities to list.

So for people saying Brooks is done - way too premature.
Serious enough for an arrest?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Any altercation at 2:00am when the cops are called is ending in an arrest. Easiest most effective way to diffuse the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That time of night, Dinkytown, possible alcohol involved? Someone is leaving that scene in cuffs. Typically sorted out in short order in the next day or two.... but this involved a football player... Usually no where near news worthy, even on the campus.

If there were several it shouldn’t be too hard to find one. I’ve seen at least a few posters go down this road and none yet have actually provided one linked post

I stopped posting for 5-months and it gave me perspective that these arguments go nowhere, and I will try to avoid them for that reason, but to suggest no one said, implied, predicted, etc. that these things won’t happen under PJ is as silly as blaming him for them.

Didn't see that part. Interesting.... Now my mind is wondering what the hell happened.

Every male mind on this board can come up with NUMEROUS scenarios....based on their own lives. Testicular function is likely involved... (and no, probably not in a sexual manner)...

I learned yesterday to just allow people to post accordingly. The negatives will be negatives, the positives will be positive, have to accept some sarcasm if it is indeed. Brooks girlfriend appears to support him. Don't get why he still is in jail without bail available though unless he is out now. This process will play itself out and it better not go to the extreme just because he is a football player. Until the facts come out, I'm with him.

A student-athlete under PJ did something wrong? Quite a few posters here said that wouldn’t happen now that we had a coach with high expectations. I was not one of them, and do not believe Thomas’ and now Brooks’ actions are PJs fault. I am not blaming PJ at all.

Yet, for those of you who wanted to blame previous staff for poor student actions off the field, you can’t have it both ways. Or, is your story changing now?

What happened under Claeys is so similar to this situation. Almost identical. Your posts are brilliant. Thank you

We'll see what happens.
I'm sure it will be handled in a way that Coyle and Fleck agree.

I learned yesterday to just allow people to post accordingly. The negatives will be negatives, the positives will be positive, have to accept some sarcasm if it is indeed. Brooks girlfriend appears to support him. Don't get why he still is in jail without bail available though unless he is out now. This process will play itself out and it better not go to the extreme just because he is a football player. Until the facts come out, I'm with him.

It’s the weekend he may have to wait until Monday for bail to be set which should be rather low. Also may want to hold him a chilling day or two since he would in theory have to go home to the guy he fought with and now got him hauled to jail.

Some jurisdictions take someone (almost always the male) off to jail regardless of any evidence something happened if they get a call. I had a psycho girl one time barricade herself in my condo swearing she owned it on our second date and threatened to call the cops and tell them I hit her unless she could spend the night. Her call in Colorado was automatic jail so I was forced to spend the whole night defusing crazy. And that’s one of a couple incidents I alone have been threatened with and make me wonder how many complaints are made up to destroy someone or get attention.

Not stupid. There were many here who said that, and there really haven't been fewer. Other than the one big incident, there were very few. PJ inherited a program where kids worked hard, went to class, and got good grades. He has kept that happening, and has built on it. Great! However, as he and his minions here often assert they are changing the culture in that area, that was one area he did not need to "change". That had been changed for him, and he has deepened that foundation, it appears, which is great.

My only thing is for those "fans" who think they are "better" fans than others because they are in the boat with the current coach, yet they were not with the previous regime, such as GWG and Face the Facts. They can't have it both ways. If you were going to have expectations for the previous coach that were unrealistic about student actions, then why would you not have the same expectations for the current coach?

And, I will point out for some of PJs minions who will come to his defense... please notice I have not criticized his coaching even once, win or lose, this fall, despite what you would like to believe. I have only criticized the ugly uniforms and helmets with the stupid oar, which should be open to criticism, but I have not called him out for how they have coached or played.

All about you as usual.

Well, if you believe every accusation leveled against any person for any reason, then you make sense. Otherwise, your bias is showing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What bias? I'm not assuming anything. Hope Brooks did nothing wrong - we don't know anything. Also, if he did something wrong, my point is it would not be the coaches fault. So, again, what bias?

It’s the weekend he may have to wait until Monday for bail to be set which should be rather low. Also may want to hold him a chilling day or two since he would in theory have to go home to the guy he fought with and now got him hauled to jail.

Some jurisdictions take someone (almost always the male) off to jail regardless of any evidence something happened if they get a call. I had a psycho girl one time barricade herself in my condo swearing she owned it on our second date and threatened to call the cops and tell them I hit her unless she could spend the night. Her call in Colorado was automatic jail so I was forced to spend the whole night defusing crazy. And that’s one of a couple incidents I alone have been threatened with and make me wonder how many complaints are made up to destroy someone or get attention.

#Ibelieveyou

It is amazing how many don’t seem to have either personal or professional experience or at least know of close friends or relatives that have dealt with crazy, vengeful, or evil people.

What happened under Claeys is so similar to this situation. Almost identical. Your posts are brilliant. Thank you

I didn't say that. However, if it was, I still wouldn't blame PJ.

Ozzy Ray is
Ozzie Cray

Some of you are hilarious. I posted something that did not have one negative about PJ, and yet you run to his defense and criticize me. In fact, I was defending PJ if Brooks ends up having done something unlawful (hope he didn't).

Have to agree with O&R here. Read his first paragraph. All of what he says there is true and none of it is a dig at PJ.

Sarcasm alert:
Claeys won 9* games in his year as head coach(not the interim games) but was fired because of challenges in recruiting, ticket sales, and culture in the program
Of those 4 criteria: since PJ has arrived recruiting is up, program culture is nearly the same (promotion of the culture is major difference), ticket sales are still declining and our win total has fallen drastically.
When is MC having his next stellar press conference ?

There has been subtle changes since the new coaching staff have arrived. Throw in Date Night to teach the boys proper etiquette with the ladies, plus the regular one-on-ones with the kids especially the Freshmen who are away from home for the first time.

Once, I wanted to get into a fight with my college roommate for a one-ups-man-ship gone too far. But, I needed him to pull out over a hundred cactus needles with tweezers from my hand. He put my cactus plant right were there light switch was.

Things happen in college, and sometimes it gets out of hand for stooopid reasons.

You can't babysit the players all the time if you are the coach.. We'll soon see what the facts of "domestic assault" is. It takes two to tango. I think there is equal culpability in the parties involved.

Last edited:

Four of us shared a 2 bedroom apartment sophomore year...had an incident where one put another through the sheetrock wall.

This was 40 years ago so of course no police...but needed to repair the wall before management found out.

Happened in the mid-afternoon...no alcohol or anything...just the last straw.

Stuff has always happened in college but police involvement is much higher now than then..maybe because we did not have smartphones and 911...?

Hoping for the best...

Way too many variables to have a clue about what happened. Was it a shoving match - an out-and-out fight? was the roommate injured? what provoked the fight? was alcohol involved? are there any witnesses?

Maybe it's something serious. maybe it's a stupid argument that got out of hand. maybe it's two guys fighting over a girl. too many possibilities to list.

So for people saying Brooks is done - way too premature.

Yes a lot more does need to be investigated. I do think that it makes a difference if it was two guys shoving one another, as opposed to someone being beat to a pulp. I don't think that it makes a ton of difference if alcohol was involved, we are still responsible for our actions. I would also bet that it was the result of something stupid that got out of hand, but I don't think that that matters much either. I hope that no one was hurt and all parties involved can learn from this, and others can learn by observing the mistakes of others.

There has been subtle changes since the new coaching staff have arrived. Throw in Date Night to teach the boys proper etiquette with the ladies, plus the regular one-on-ones with the kids especially the Freshmen who are away from home for the first time.

Once, I wanted to get into a fight with my college roommate for a one-ups-man-ship gone too far. But, I needed him to pull out over a hundred cactus needles with tweezers from my hand. He put my cactus plant right were there light switch was.

Things happen in college, and sometimes it gets out of hand for stooopid reasons.

You can't babysit the players all the time if you are the coach.. We'll soon see what the facts of "domestic assault" is. It takes two to tango. I think there is equal culpability in the parties involved.

"Boys"..."kids"...?

Can we please heed the advice from the only person we have heard from who actually knows what happened? His girlfriend. Everyone is curious and hopes that Brooks didn’t do something stupid enough to get kicked off the team, but wild speculation and throwing out unsubstantiated claims are ridiculous. So let’s please stop making stuff up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest I've seen:

By ANDY GREDER | [email protected] | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: October 14, 2018 at 10:10 am | UPDATED: October 14, 2018 at 7:36 pm
MOST POPULAR

Gophers running back Shannon Brooks arrested Sunday

Gophers senior running back Shannon Brooks was arrested Sunday morning on suspicion of fifth-degree misdemeanor domestic assault, according to law enforcement documents.

A Minneapolis police department report identified a 21-year-old male victim as Brooks’ roommate, and the document listed “no injury” for the victim. Police are accusing Brooks of violating a Minnesota statute that defines fifth-degree assault as: “intentionally inflicts or attempts to inflict bodily harm upon another,” according to the police report and state law.

Brooks and the roommate, who’s not a member of the University of Minnesota’s football program, were involved in a incident between 1:15 and 1:30 a.m. Sunday at their residence on the 600 block of 15th Avenue Southeast, the police report said. The report added that no weapons outside of hands and feet were identified.

Well, this is sounding less dire than I originally feared.

JTG

Very strange that he was arrested for domestic assault and not simple or aggravated assault. Domestic assault can be used in circumstances of people simply together as roommates, but it is not very common. Usually it reserved for two parties that are related or in an intimate relationship. A fight between two adults, even if roommates is rarely charged as domestic assault. Now he has just been arrested and not charged, so things could change, but it is odd.

Hopefully for the victim it wasn't anything too bad.

He's not injured it appears, so that's good.

Hopefully he just felt uncomfortable with something between him and Shannon and he reported it to police rather than not report it, and in the end, it was more of a pre-emptive thing than something where there were significant issues.
I don't think we'll know until we hear more.

Top Bottom