How long do I need to row the boat until my chili is hot?

I love that the Texas game keeps coming up as proof Maryland is good. Without a weather delay of 1.5 hours, Maryland was cooked in that game.

They rested and recovered and weathered the delay much better than Texas did, so no asterisk needed, but if that game doesn’t get interrupted by weather for an hour and a half, Maryland would likely have lost the game.

Their d was bent over, hands on hips and breathing hard after every play. Texas has found a groove on offense and defense and was pulling away.

When play resumed, the Maryland D was able to play much better after the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me what the Texas game proves is that Maryland isn't the dumpster fire they were a few years ago. I think many of our fans still look at them that way and view a loss to them as a major failure. They are definitely not in the class of the top teams in the conference but they are solid this year.

So we will be back to 2016 by 2020? Seems like wasted four years just to get a skinnier coach. I have higher expectations. By 2020 we better be winning trophy games and playing in a NYD Bowl!

Yeah, if by 2020 we're winning at least nine games a year and have a chance to win every game, I'll be happy as hell.

If I had my 'druthers, Jerry Kill would still be physically capable of leading the program, and he'd be doing so. I also thought it was unfortunate the way Claeys was dumped. BUT, that being said, I think it's likely the program was poised to take a step or two back even if Claeys had remained at the helm ... and I'm not aware of any sign he had the recruiting chops to build it back up.

Since we're stuck with reality instead of our preferences, I think PJ was a good hire and I like what I'm seeing so far.

JTG

We just DID compete with the top team in the Big 10 on the road.

My recommendation for you if this season is a massive disappointment is to quit following the team. If optimism bothers you. If patience bothers you. If long term goals bother you. Just give up and move on. It’s not for you.

Every week when we have our thread about why there are so few fans in the stands, we always forget that part of the reason is that the toughies tell half the fans that aren't allowed to be fans anymore.

What schedule is that exactly? To win 2 Big Ten games and miss out on a bowl? If this was Claeys of Mason, you would be screaming he should be fired. And no, I am not encouraged by the 'progress' from last year. We should be able to compete with Maryland - not get our doors blown off 42-13. We should be able to compete with Iowa - not give up 48 points. In Claeys' last year, we lost in OT to PSU (finished ranked #7, should have beaten Wisconsin barring ML setting a new record for 4th Q incompetence, we went to, and won a bowl game with our D way more depleted than anything we experienced this year....and oh yeah, we beat the brakes off Maryland.

So, I get Year 0 and our terrible play last year. However, we are 0-3 in the Big Ten and I would guess 50/50 losing to an 0-6 Nebraska next week. I hope Fleck can turn it around but no, I don't see this great improvement you are crowing about. You are literally cheering our game today where we lost by 16 to an OSU team playing half-hearted. If that gives you the warm and fuzzies, then I suggest you tell Fleck you want to be the guy handing out the participation trophies at the end of the season, after we miss a bowl game...again....

I know I got some good sleep last night due to being under the weather but I didn’t realize I fell asleep for 2 months. Which 2 of the last 6 did we win?

It’s also funny when a top ranked team barely beats or loses to a lesser team and people say it was because they weren’t trying that hard. I get that Ohio St didn’t play that well but I like to think it has something to do with the Gophers.

I’ve always said that my goal for the team would be to improve from last year and improve throughout the season. Do players that will be back get better? Do position groups improve?

Relax. This Year 1, Second Half. It is what it is - Gopher Football. They are trying to do a jail break out of 5th place average in the B1G West.

I dreamed that they were in first place in the B1G West, then I woke up to go take a p!ss.

If and when they beat Wisconsin, all the misery will be wiped away clean.

Relax. This Year 1, Second Half. It is what it is - Gopher Football. They are trying to do a jail break out of 5th place average in the B1G West.

I dreamed that they were in first place in the B1G West, then I woke up to go take a p!ss.

If and when they beat Wisconsin, all the misery will be wiped away clean.

The Wisconsin game could be interesting depending what they have to play for. The weather could be a factor and more than half the crowd will be stoned and drunk.

The Wisconsin game could be interesting depending what they have to play for. The weather could be a factor and more than half the crowd will be stoned and drunk.

I'll take the over on the 1/2 of the crowd being drunk issue....

So far, this season has been a pretty massive disappointment - not just from the start of the season but from the expectations set at the end of last season. I think we can still scrape together 2 more wins, but I don't see us winning 6 or competing against any of the upper tier teams in the Big Ten. Do I see improvement from last year? Maybe a little at best but I still don't see anything innovative for fielding a winning team other than the magical 'recruiting'. I know it is too early to give up on PJ....I know, I know, he gets 3+ years to prove himself.

But, how many of you were thinking 2-10 in the Big Ten? Worse, if Nebraska did not have such an epic collapse, they probably would have beat us last year too. Frankly, I think we will be lucky to beat them this year as I do think they are starting to improve week over week. How many of you were thinking we would see a coach given an "A grade" after losing by 2 TD's to tOSU in a game where tOSU was coming off an emotional win? I thought we were past the stage of cheering for moral victories, I guess not. I hope to see improvement - we all do - but what is the requirement for this season and next before we stop following PJ unconditionally? If we win 2 this year, does he retain his god/king status? If we can't win 6 next year, do we keep talking about extending him a lifetime contract?

This board loves to be revisionist and pretend that you were never hopelessly optimistic about this season (how many people had Vic Viramontes leading us to the top of the West this year?) - so, set your criteria now and don't use a sliding scale for the definition of success as the on field results come in. What is your minimum requirement for this year and next for PJ?

I can't take anything you write seriously after that.

To me what the Texas game proves is that Maryland isn't the dumpster fire they were a few years ago. I think many of our fans still look at them that way and view a loss to them as a major failure. They are definitely not in the class of the top teams in the conference but they are solid this year.

Fair point.

Do they have an on-site holding tank for drunks at Camp Randall Stadium? They are due to beat Vodka Sam's weekend of arrests in Iowa City after the Gophers game.

Every week when we have our thread about why there are so few fans in the stands, we always forget that part of the reason is that the toughies tell half the fans that aren't allowed to be fans anymore.

Good, let the soft fans stay home. What’s going to change attendance is wins and an exciting and fun team. I have no doubt we will get there in the next year or two.

I’m not being a toughie for not having much patience for whiny fans who want guarantees and are too afraid to invest themselves into the program for fear of being burned.

Good, let the soft fans stay home. What’s going to change attendance is wins and an exciting and fun team. I have no doubt we will get there in the next year or two.

I’m not being a toughie for not having much patience for whiny fans who want guarantees and are too afraid to invest themselves into the program for fear of being burned.

You might have a future at the U of M Marketing Department.

Yes, posts on GH are responsible for the poor attendance. Those people bitching would certainly go to the games if only they didn't face such harsh criticism here. JHC!

Really? Get of your soapbox before you fall and hurt yourself.

Many of the "soft fans" you criticized have ingrained in them the "fear of being burned" after decades of "supporting and investing themselves" in to the program. You boldly state that "no doubt we will get there in the next year of two" but that means nothing as many have heard that before. Been there and done that for decades but don't consider myself a "soft fan(s)" or "not having much patience." Being a season ticket holder and at nearly every game during decades of failure gives one the inherit right to whine all they want.

Like others before him, Fleck has an extremely difficult challenge to get the Gophers to the point where they can win big and often. Fleck preaches that you have to fail before you can succeed. Well, many of us soft fans are experts on the failing part and have been waiting and dreaming for the success part. Fleck may get it done but in the meantime there will continue to be many whiny fans who are not buying in to Fleck's culture thing nor showing up at TCF.

Fleck is not the Pied Piper. And he has lots to prove before TCF is full.

Really? Get of your soapbox before you fall and hurt yourself.

Many of the "soft fans" you criticized have ingrained in them the "fear of being burned" after decades of "supporting and investing themselves" in to the program. You boldly state that "no doubt we will get there in the next year of two" but that means nothing as many have heard that before. Been there and done that for decades but don't consider myself a "soft fan(s)" or "not having much patience." Being a season ticket holder and at nearly every game during decades of failure gives one the inherit right to whine all they want.

Like others before him, Fleck has an extremely difficult challenge to get the Gophers to the point where they can win big and often. Fleck preaches that you have to fail before you can succeed. Well, many of us soft fans are experts on the failing part and have been waiting and dreaming for the success part. Fleck may get it done but in the meantime there will continue to be many whiny fans who are not buying in to Fleck's culture thing nor showing up at TCF.

Fleck is not the Pied Piper. And he has lots to prove before TCF is full.

It's not a soap box. If PJ isn't your cup of tea, fine. If you don't want to buy in, don't. I'm tired of people questioning those that are bought in.

I myself have a "fear of being burned", but luckily I'm rational enough to realize that it cost me nothing. Every coach we've had has required a period of patience, and then a payoff or failure. Mason started slow, then year 3 we made a big turn. Brew had a slow start, then year 2 seemed to turn the corner before failing badly. Kill took 2 years of patience, then had a nice payoff.

We are halfway thru PJs second year. To me it looks promising, I think we will have a very nice payoff in years 3 and 4. If you don't, fine. Don't buy in. Don't think we'll get there. Do you want a cookie? Good for you for being cynical and skeptical, that is very courageous of you.

Yes, posts on GH are responsible for the poor attendance. Those people bitching would certainly go to the games if only they didn't face such harsh criticism here. JHC!

Sorry Mulligan, my post was for folks who can grasp satire. I should have had a disclaimer, my bad.

Dude, get out and swim back to shore. Just imagine there's some Prozac laced cold chili waiting for you back there, it sounds like you could use some.

The scary thing is, as I predicted last week, we drop to Nebraska in pretty embarrassing fashion, and then the wheels really come off. I hope for PJ and the kids on the team that he can win them 1 game this year. If not, he will have officially lost the team and that will continue into another huge disappointment next year. For me, I think this loss will mark the beginning of the end of the PJ regime as I have literally seen nothing in him that I didn't also see in Brewster. All rah-rah, but horrible game day prep, inconsistent play, but then nothing losses, excuses, and just wait until next year.

Worse, this entire episode was self-inflicted because some fans didn't like the last coach because he was fat and supported his players when the U admin and SJWs told you anything less than sepukku was warranted by his behavior (again, supporting his players and supporting due process). Well, he was fat and probably not the best face of the program, but his ability to run a defense is so far better than PJ and staff that a comparison isn't even warranted.

Let's be real honest about where we are now - we are one of the 2 or 3 worst teams in the Big Ten. I think we can take Rutgers and Illinois would be a toss up. Could PJ even win the MAC with this team and coaching staff?

Top Bottom