Looking ahead to Nebraska

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Two things immediately come to mind;

1) Pretty important and winnable game; is this the first game that we see Shannon Brooks?

2) I have to think it is going to take some pretty creative attendance accounting for the Huskers to continue their ongoing nations longest home selllout streak, if not against Minnesota, at least at some point this season.

They may continue to sell out, but as far as butts in seats, no friggin way.

I was apprehensive about this game before today. I'm even more so now. Gophers should win, but it's a wounded animal. Desperate for a win.

Oh gad, don't let the Gophers be the first win for Frost. They have to be gunning mad for the Gophers, especially with the routing they had in Minneapolis last year.

1) Pretty important and winnable game; is this the first game that we see Shannon Brooks?

2) I have to think it is going to take some pretty creative attendance accounting for the Huskers to continue their ongoing nations longest home selllout streak, if not against Minnesota, at least at some point this season.

If Shannon is cleared, I'd bring him into the lineup.

Would you play Rodney in successive games or mixed in with a game here and there? And do you save him for a bowl game or not (maybe not since it isn't a given)?

It'll be important to keep Martinez from running all over the place. At least we held up well in a more hostile environment today.

Would you play Rodney in successive games or mixed in with a game here and there? And do you save him for a bowl game or not (maybe not since it isn't a given)?

It'll be important to keep Martinez from running all over the place. At least we held up well in a more hostile environment today.

Rodney Smith is not available for the rest of the season. Perhaps you meant someone else.

I assume you mean Brooks. I'd play him in the final 4 games of the season. However that works out.

If he doesn't play before Illinois, I bet Shannon stays out one more game (especially if we win the next 2). Plays the final 3 and the bowl game.

A lot riding on this game. If we lose, this season will be a colossal dumpster fire, not seen since Brewster, that will continue to spiral out of control. This will be Fleck's real test as a coach - we will he play not to lose or will he play to win? I think Nebraska will be all-in for this game as this moral victory this week was better than ours. If we lose, you can mark this down as the countdown to the end of the Fleck era. So, I hope he can actually game plan and motivate - I think we have equal or better talent than Nebraska this year - in the past, we were able to compete and win with less talent due to great coaching (seemed the only game where our OC actually tried to innovate).

A lot riding on this game. If we lose, this season will be a colossal dumpster fire, not seen since Brewster, that will continue to spiral out of control. This will be Fleck's real test as a coach - we will he play not to lose or will he play to win? I think Nebraska will be all-in for this game as this moral victory this week was better than ours. If we lose, you can mark this down as the countdown to the end of the Fleck era. So, I hope he can actually game plan and motivate - I think we have equal or better talent than Nebraska this year - in the past, we were able to compete and win with less talent due to great coaching (seemed the only game where our OC actually tried to innovate).

Nebraska giving up a 99 yard drive to send it to overtime was better than what the Gophers did at Ohio State, the #3 team in the country? Sorry to break it to you, but Fleck will be here for quite some time. Win or lose to Nebraska, no outcome this year will have any effect. Im sure if they do beat Nebraska next week, you'll be the first one on here to let everyone know that it was just Nebraska and the true test for Fleck will actually be the following week against Indiana.

Nebraska giving up a 99 yard drive to send it to overtime was better than what the Gophers did at Ohio State, the #3 team in the country?

Yes - because they were in a position to actually win the game - and should have vs. losing by 16 to a team that was moving half speed. Despite being 0-6, I think Nebraska probably wins more games through the rest of the season than us. I want us to beat Nebraska because I want this team and PJ to be winners. If we lose, I can promise you that the rest of this season will surpass Brewster levels of disappointment and 2019 will be no different. It will simply be a countdown clock until PJ is fired. But, he can change all that by winning this game - a game we SHOULD win. I am too old to wait out another all-hat/no-cattle head coach and then hope the next one will be competent enough to make us respectable again. I want PJ to be a legit head coach - it is just up to this point, I don't see anything that points to that. So, go on the record. What will be the Gopher record this year and in 2019?

Yes - because they were in a position to actually win the game - and should have vs. losing by 16 to a team that was moving half speed. Despite being 0-6, I think Nebraska probably wins more games through the rest of the season than us. I want us to beat Nebraska because I want this team and PJ to be winners. If we lose, I can promise you that the rest of this season will surpass Brewster levels of disappointment and 2019 will be no different. It will simply be a countdown clock until PJ is fired. But, he can change all that by winning this game - a game we SHOULD win. I am too old to wait out another all-hat/no-cattle head coach and then hope the next one will be competent enough to make us respectable again. I want PJ to be a legit head coach - it is just up to this point, I don't see anything that points to that. So, go on the record. What will be the Gopher record this year and in 2019?

I mean I don't see them beating OSU, Mi St, or Iowa so that leaves us, Illinois, and Bethune Cookman which I see as 2 wins for them probably. We have 6 winnable games left. So I'd say it all depends on the game versus them, and even if we lose, we still have a reasonable chance to match their win total. Just my opinion based on watching all of hte Gophers games and most of the Nebraska games (they're easy to bet on on the O/U because of the points they give up).

And as far as your last part, I'll peg the Gophers at likely 6-6 (win the bowl game to go 7-6) and 9-3 in 2019 looking at it way too early and not knowing what teams return next year. I don't see how the record predictions make a difference. The team looks improved vs last year. Hopefully it continues on that trend as the talent level grows and the team gets older on offense

To me that is closer to being a deflating loss for Nebraska rather than a moral victory. I saw the Gophers make one change to the offensive line today and insert a highly recruited freshman that changed the complexity of the whole unit. The game in Columbus today could have went to either team. When a ranked team comes out flat and overlooks a team that were 29.5 point underdogs, adjustments and attitude changes at halftime. I didn't see any major difference in Ohio States play from the first half to the second half.

As for the Gophers record from here on out..
Nebraska- W Indiana- W Illinois- W Purdue- W Northwestern- L Wisconsin- TBD, Wisconsin has a gauntlet of tough games coming up and if they lay eggs like tonight I see us finally ending the streak. It would be a big help if the Gophers plan on bringing Shannon back to play in a couple games as well.

Next year- All the pieces will be there. We would be back to hopefully have Brooks/Smith/Ibrahim. Offensive line will begin to look like a massive oline. The biggest impact will be the progression of Annexstad, he needs to be able to look off defenders and go through reads. It wouldn't surprise me to see them competing for the West. There is a different vibe watching this group compared to previous years. So 9-3 or 10-2

I have no idea if we can beat Nebraska. But if we do, it wouldn't seem impossible to run the table. Today was encouraging.
If we beat Nebraska, we should be able to at minimum cobble together six wins and a bowl bid.
Lose to Nebraska and it is very difficult to guess our course this year.

I sure would think next year is PJ's best team. The schedule cooperates and hopefully we get our injured people back healthy.

This is really the most ridiculous thing I've read in the last 24 hours.

Surpass Brewster? I know you’re not the only one to make such statements, but let me put something in perspective. With Fleck we are talking losses to Maryland, Iowa and Ohio State. With Brewster we were talking losses to South Dakota level teams.

Surpass Brewster? I know you’re not the only one to make such statements, but let me put something in perspective. With Fleck we are talking losses to Maryland, Iowa and Ohio State. With Brewster we were talking losses to South Dakota level teams.

That was worth saying twice.

Brewster levels of disappointment
2019 no different
Countdown clock to Fleck being fired

All over one game in Fleck’s second season at Minnesota.

SMH

We should handle Nebraska just fine. They are a dumpster fire, and even when they are in a position to win, they find a way to choke one away. They might be bad enough to go 0-9 in conference.

The next one will rise or fall on the growing emotional maturity of the 2018 Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Two weekends ago they were not ready for Maryland. Yesterday they were ready for Ohio State.

Arrive in Lincoln with focus and a "let's get this done" attitude and The Chair is there for the taking.

Good luck to the Coaching staff to hold on to the mojo we saw yesterday.

Nebraska is not as bad as their record indicates. 3 if their 6 losses were to Top-20 teams.
They have a lot of talent. Despite all of the mistakes and chaos, they’ll still win 2-3 games this year.

I'm gonna say no on that one

As for the Gophers record from here on out..
Nebraska- W Indiana- W Illinois- W Purdue- W Northwestern- L Wisconsin- TBD, Wisconsin has a gauntlet of tough games coming up and if they lay eggs like tonight I see us finally ending the streak. It would be a big help if the Gophers plan on bringing Shannon back to play in a couple games as well.

I am cautiously optimistic about the probability of winning the next three games. As far as Wisconsin, I think one has to give them the benefit of the doubt given the history of this rivalry in recent times, the fact that they are still rated considerably higher than us, and that is a home game for them. As for Purdue and Northwestern, we could win both, or lose both, or win one. Both teams have QBs who can put up major yards in the air and that spells trouble for us.

I watched part of that Neb and NW game today and I think Neb has a dangerous offense and they pressured Thorson heavily all day. They choked away a 10 point lead with something like 3 minutes left in the game. NW drove for a FG, then Frost laid up on offense and gave NW over 2 minutes for their game tying drive. Those timeouts came in handy for Fitz...Then Frost gambled on 4th and short in OT instead of taking a gimme FG. NW proceeds to kick game winner.

Let’s just say if PJ had made the same moves...this place would be livid.

I’m with the ones that say we’ll be in a dogfight next week. Martinez is a dangerous player. They are better than their record.

Top Bottom