Early CFP chaos

upnorthkid

Reaction score
Looking at the rankings, looking like the CFP starting to take shape and some conferences already looking like they're in major trouble with the upsets today.

Bama, OSU, Clemson, ND the remaining major players

Several upstarts still without a loss: UCF, SFla, Cinci, Colorado, NC State (and Cinci, UCF, and SFla all play each other in the American). NC State plays Clemson next week. If Colorado gets through USC tonight, only has Washington next week left for daunting games. Could this be the year a non power 5 (or ND) gets in?

Looking very much like the B12 and PAC12 (sorry Colorado but I just don't see them running the table) in loads of trouble. I will be interested to see how they continue to rank the one loss teams

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Last year people wanted 8 teams. This year, 4 will be too many.

No one has an easier path to the CFP than ND at this point.

I know... they need to lose.

I'd also argue their path is difficult since theydon't have a conference championship game so even some questionable wins might keep them out.

Sample sizes in football are way too small to pick a champion without an 8 team playoff. Sure, Alabama looks far and away to be the best but until they play the best we don’t know for sure. Injuries, maturation, etc can be factors down the stretch.

Sample sizes in football are way too small to pick a champion without an 8 team playoff. Sure, Alabama looks far and away to be the best but until they play the best we don’t know for sure. Injuries, maturation, etc can be factors down the stretch.

Last year, expanding to 8 would have added the following round:
Clemson vs. USC
Oklahoma vs. Auburn
Georgia vs. Wisconsin
Alabama vs. OSU

This just seems unnecessary to me.

Clemson vs. USC
Oklahoma vs. Auburn
Georgia vs. Wisconsin
Alabama vs. OSU

I'm a big fan of extending to 8, but if that means the stupid sconnies get in I guess I'll pass.

Clemson vs. USC
Oklahoma vs. Auburn
Georgia vs. Wisconsin
Alabama vs. OSU

Ohio State never would have been the champs if the BCS had stuck around. Alabama last year. UCF would have gotten in last year. Penn State was more deserving than OSU in 2016. TCU was better than Oregon in 2014. There are others. Teams are judged on wins and losses despite some of those decisions coming on razor thin margins, personnel losses affecting outcomes, bad officiating, etc.

I’m fine with giving a “season achievement” award to the team everyone thinks has the best resume but I think some years there is a lot of murky gray on who’s best and oftentimes the “best” teams may not be.

I'm a big fan of extending to 8, but if that means the stupid sconnies get in I guess I'll pass.

Given that Wisconsin typically has a terrible resume, ie hasn’t beaten anybody that good, they ought to have an asterisk. The undefeated G5s, top P5 teams/champions would get in over them if there is any common sense.

Besides, they finally are having a downturn. Could be real this time. Hurting on defense and QB.

Given that Wisconsin typically has a terrible resume, ie hasn’t beaten anybody that good, they ought to have an asterisk. The undefeated G5s, top P5 teams/champions would get in over them if there is any common sense.

But to be clear, UCF last year would still not have been in the CFP if the field were expanded to 8 teams. So when people claim that expanding to 8 solves that UCF “problem” they are 100% wrong. It would not.

Expanding to 6 would have added Auburn and Ohio State. Expanding to 8 would have added USC and Wisconsin. Expanding to 10 would have added Penn State and Miami.

The solution for programs like UCF is almost too easy. Just schedule more P5 opponents. They could play up to 4 P5 teams if they really wanted to.

But to be clear, UCF last year would still not have been in the CFP if the field were expanded to 8 teams. So when people claim that expanding to 8 solves that UCF “problem” they are 100% wrong. It would not.

Expanding to 6 would have added Auburn and Ohio State. Expanding to 8 would have added USC and Wisconsin. Expanding to 10 would have added Penn State and Miami.

The solution for programs like UCF is almost too easy. Just schedule more P5 opponents. They could play up to 4 P5 teams if they really wanted to.

I think your posts illustrate why the current system is so damn unsatisfying. Wisconsin didn’t belong anywhere close to the CFP. The resume stuff, w/l, polls are deeply flawed. Conference champs only. Notre Dame can join us or the ACC.

Top Bottom