iowa state gets their annual huge upset

Go4

Reaction score
it sure seems like iowa state pulls a top ten upset every year. no reason why they should be able to do that so consistently but we can't.

WVU looked absolutely horrible, and watching the game I found it hard to believe that they were a top 25 team, much less #6.

WVU looked absolutely horrible, and watching the game I found it hard to believe that they were a top 25 team, much less #6.

Well. They were. The Iowa State roster was in far worse shape than ours. They’re a year ahead of us but knocked off two top 10 teams in year 2 (year 1 of you subscribe to the year zero BS).

What you saw was a well coached team beat the pants off of what had been one of the best offenses in the country.

It is possible to win before you have only “your guys” on the roster.

Oh, and their QB? Freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Well. They were. The Iowa State roster was in far worse shape than ours. They’re a year ahead of us but knocked off two top 10 teams in year 2 (year 1 of you subscribe to the year zero BS).

What you saw was a well coached team beat the pants off of what had been one of the best offenses in the country.

Details details details.

Come on guys it's totally acceptable that the Gophers haven't beaten a top 20 team in 13 years. All those teams ISU beats shouldn't be ranked that high!

And it was their 2nd upset in back-to-back weeks. The Cyclones had beat then #24 (AP)/#21 (Coaches) Oklahoma State the previous week.

It was? Based on 247's talent rankings, they've had more talent than us every year until this year thanks to Fleck's freshman class.

They start 3 freshman on offense and defense, we start 7.

They do have a freshman QB, who was a late bloomer and had offers from Alabama and Texas A&M.

Fleck won more games than Campbell in year 1, and could still win as many or more than Campbell in year 2.

Regardless of coaching staff's, we haven't knocked off a top 10 team in 18 years. Saturday showed we are building in that direction.

S&P currently has West Virginia ranked 24th, but Fresno St is ranked 12th.

As mentioned later in this thread, we haven't done this in over a decade. What about the other staffs here that didn't accomplish this who fully had "their guys" on the roster?

What the heck are people defending or getting defensive about?

The Gophers haven't finished as high as 3rd in the Big Ten since 1972. Looks like they aren't gonna finish in the Top 3 this year either. During that time they won 9 games or more twice. And plenty of people around here whined that the second time didn't really count since they didn't beat anybody while doing it!

ISU fans are far better than Hawkeye fans. Or Sconie fans either. Hope the Cyclones keep getting better and beat Iowa every year too. Whether they do or not has zero relationship to what Flack and Company are doing up here. Unless we play them in a Bowl Game.

Now let's hope the Gophers beat Nebraska.

If they do, wonder how many "but the Huskers suck!" posts we'll see.. :rolleyes:

It was? Based on 247's talent rankings, they've had more talent than us every year until this year thanks to Fleck's freshman class.

They do have a freshman QB, who was a late bloomer and had offers from Alabama and Texas A&M.

Fleck won more games than Campbell in year 1, and could still win as many or more than Campbell in year 2.

Regardless of coaching staff's, we haven't knocked off a top 10 team in 18 years. Saturday showed we are building in that direction.

2014-16 Gopher classes were all higher ranked than ISU.

I (for one) didn't mean to sound defensive... I happened to watch the game and WVU simply did not look like a good football team. Not a knock on ISU at all... Found myself wondering how the heck they drifted up to #6 prior to that game.

It’s just too easy. Thanks for being so reliable.

Oh, “better” talent? 2-3 spots difference in the high fifties?

And as you like to point out, some talent, but not across the board and not in the right places. No depth. And a culture of losing. Campbell May have had a worse record in his first year (because he actually inherited a rebuild) and perhaps in his second (we’ll see) but his teams never curled up in a ball and gave up because he wanted to make a point. We did it twice last year. And Campbell has beaten 3 top 10 teams in the last two Octobers. But hey, we beat Fresno State, right?

The best thing about Saturday is the coaching staff actually tried. Things are looking up.

It’s just too easy. Thanks for being so reliable.

Oh, “better” talent? 2-3 spots difference in the high fifties?

And as you like to point out, some talent, but not across the board and not in the right places. No depth. And a culture of losing. Campbell May have had a worse record in his first year (because he actually inherited a rebuild) and perhaps in his second (we’ll see) but his teams never curled up in a ball and gave up because he wanted to make a point. We did it twice last year. And Campbell has beaten 3 top 10 teams in the last two Octobers. But hey, we beat Fresno State, right?

The best thing about Saturday is the coaching staff actually tried. Things are looking up.

We had depth? Only 19 of the 46 recruits from 2014 and 2015 are here or finished their careers here. 2016 was a good class, but had 5 JUCOs, 4 of which have finished their careers. Those would be your upperclassmen for Flecks first 2 years. Just loaded with depth...

It’s just too easy to spot the blantant trolls like yourself.

it sure seems like iowa state pulls a top ten upset every year. no reason why they should be able to do that so consistently but we can't.

Seems like they do, but the reality is Iowa State does not do that every year with Top 10 teams. They do have 3 Top 10 Wins under Campbell the last 2 years and had 1 under Rhodes in 2011.
From 2011 to 2016, I do not believe they had a Top 10 upset.

We had depth? Only 19 of the 46 recruits from 2014 and 2015 are here or finished their careers here. 2016 was a good class, but had 5 JUCOs, 4 of which have finished their careers. Those would be your upperclassmen for Flecks first 2 years. Just loaded with depth...

It’s just too easy to spot the blantant trolls like yourself.

Yeah. Anybody who doesn’t think PJ Fleck invented football is a troll. You’re very predictable.

You keep clinging to the meaningful differences between “talent” rankings that had the Gophers and Cyclones within 3-5 spots of each other in the high 50s and low 60s. The talent levels are essentially the same, even though Iowa State was ahead of us by a few spots in the last three years.

We were similar. Campbell and the Cyclones beat #3 Oklahoma and #4 TCU last year, Campbell’s second year.

We played #2 Ohio State close for 30 minutes.

Iowa State Record the three years before Campbell took over: 8-28 (4-23 in the big 12)

Minnesota record playing in the stronger Big 10 for 3 years before PJ Fleck 23-16 (12-13).

Using your pet metric:

In Campbell’s year two Iowa State was ranked 56th overall

In Flecks year two, Minnesota was ranked 44th overall.

Iowa State did it with their third string walk on QB, their QB from the prior season playing linebacker, and coaching.

We made some noise against #3 Ohio State for a half.

They also beat a Top 10 team this year (but they suck, right) and a top 25 team this year ( but OK State sucks too, right).

I hope we have as much success as they’ve had. I’m anxious to see how we end up at 8-4 this year by going 5-1 in our last 6 games to have a better record than Iowa State did in year 2.

I’d be thrilled. But we’d have to win our bowl game to beat their record.

Yeah. Anybody who doesn’t think PJ Fleck invented football is a troll. You’re very predictable.

You keep clinging to the meaningful differences between “talent” rankings that had the Gophers and Cyclones within 3-5 spots of each other in the high 50s and low 60s. The talent levels are essentially the same, even though Iowa State was ahead of us by a few spots in the last three years.

We were similar. Campbell and the Cyclones beat #3 Oklahoma and #4 TCU last year, Campbell’s second year.

We played #2 Ohio State close for 30 minutes.

Iowa State Record the three years before Campbell took over: 8-28 (4-23 in the big 12)

Minnesota record playing in the stronger Big 10 for 3 years before PJ Fleck 23-16 (12-13).

Using your pet metric:

In Campbell’s year two Iowa State was ranked 56th overall

In Flecks year two, Minnesota was ranked 44th overall.

Iowa State did it with their third string walk on QB, their QB from the prior season playing linebacker, and coaching.

We made some noise against #3 Ohio State for a half.

They also beat a Top 10 team this year (but they suck, right) and a top 25 team this year ( but OK State sucks too, right).

I hope we have as much success as they’ve had. I’m anxious to see how we end up at 8-4 this year by going 5-1 in our last 6 games to have a better record than Iowa State did in year 2.

I’d be thrilled. But we’d have to win our bowl game to beat their record.

You said Iowa St’s roster was in far worse shape than ours, but it wasn’t.

We played Ohio St close for far more than a half. But I know trolls like yourself don’t actually watch the games.

Last edited:

You said Iowa St’s roster was in far worse shape than ours, but it wasn’t.

We played Ohio St close for far more than a half. But I know trolls like yourself don’t actually watch the games.

What you think you know far outweighs what you do know. You know nothing about me other than I don’t buy into PJ Fleck’s narrative.

You don’t know much about Iowa State roster issues. You also don’t seem to grasp that 23 > 8 even though Iowa State’s roster was Far Superior to Minnesota’s. Yes. That was sarcasm.

I look forward to the 6-1 record we’ll have to beat Iowa State’s record in year two.

I honestly would be thrilled. I don’t see more than a possible 2-4 finish to the season, so would be overjoyed.

I’ll make you a deal. You can call me a troll all you want. I’ll continue to be amused by your sycophantic behavior and look at actual results and make decisions and form opinions based on that.

We’ve had “close”games in the past and failed to win against good and bad teams. Didn’t matter all of them were losses.

Last edited:

What you think you know far outweighs what you do know. You know nothing about me other than I don’t buy into PJ Fleck’s narrative.

You don’t know much about Iowa State roster issues. You also don’t seem to grasp that 23 > 8 even though Iowa State’s roster was Far Superior to Minnesota’s. Yes. That was sarcasm.

I look forward to the 6-1 record we’ll have to beat Iowa State’s record in year two.

I honestly would be thrilled. I don’t see more than a possible 2-4 finish to the season, so would be overjoyed.

I’ll make you a deal. You can call me a troll all you want. I’ll continue to be amused by your sycophantic behavior and look at actual results and make decisions and form opinions based on that.

We’ve had “close”games in the past and failed to win against good and bad teams. Didn’t matter all of them were losses.

Welcome to the (large) group in this camp. He's the king of the pivot and qualifiers. My post here should induce a post from him with some sort of personal dig towards me...

Iowa State always seems to pick someone off, but then again the B12 is kinda wonky, and Iowa State also seems to fall on its face regularly.

Not really sure that's something I'd want.

Iowa State always seems to pick someone off, but then again the B12 is kinda wonky, and Iowa State also seems to fall on its face regularly.

Not really sure that's something I'd want.

Right now Campbell has them heading in the right direction. Does that continue? Does that stall? Does he stay?

Time will tell. Not saying I want it, but GWG said their 3-3 record is the same as ours, which is just plain silly. They’ve beaten two ranked teams so far this year. And 4 in the last two years. 3 in the top 10. Campbell is doing something right.

Welcome to the (large) group in this camp. He's the king of the pivot and qualifiers. My post here should induce a post from him with some sort of personal dig towards me...

Large camp? As someone who gets called out repeatedly for your stupidity, you should take a look in the mirror.

As predicted...

As predicted...

I was just helping you finally get one prediction right. Still waiting for the BoR to fire Coyle and Kaler in order to save Claeys job. Still waiting...

Last edited:

As someone who goes to multiple Gopher and Cyclone games a year, these are my thoughts:

1. I think both Campbell and Fleck are excellent coaches.
2. Both have upped the recruiting stakes, and both seem adept at development.
3. Brock Purdy is the real deal at QB. There was a reason Alabama was interested in him. I hope Annexstad is the real deal.
4. Gopher students are great, but simply don't show up with the numbers that Cyclone students do.
5. If I had to guess which coach would still be at the same school five years from now, I would without hesitation say Fleck.
6. Iowa State tailgating is really, really awesome.
7. Twin Cities media are way tougher on Fleck than Des Moines media are on Campbell.
8. I like the Cyclones. But I love the Gophers.

Campbell went 8-5 in 2nd year at ISU, including upset over OU. Looking unlikely that Fleck gets to 8 wins in 2nd year here, but not impossible.

In Campbell’s 3rd year, this year, ISU might be one of the best 3-3 teams in the country. Definitely has a chance to repeat 8 wins or maybe go higher. Texas at Austin looks tough, but the rest look winnable.

Iowa St under Campbell is absolutely a blueprint for any lower Big Ten program looking to hit the reset button. Illinois, Rutgers, maybe Maryland if they fire the staff, maybe Indy if current staff doesn’t do enough this year. Got some good candidates in MAC too. Buffalo having an incredible year.

Campbell went 8-5 in 2nd year at ISU, including upset over OU. Looking unlikely that Fleck gets to 8 wins in 2nd year here, but not impossible.

In Campbell’s 3rd year, this year, ISU might be one of the best 3-3 teams in the country. Definitely has a chance to repeat 8 wins or maybe go higher. Texas at Austin looks tough, but the rest look winnable.

Iowa St under Campbell is absolutely a blueprint for any lower Big Ten program looking to hit the reset button. Illinois, Rutgers, maybe Maryland if they fire the staff, maybe Indy if current staff doesn’t do enough this year. Got some good candidates in MAC too. Buffalo having an incredible year.

aaannnnddddd....since so many on here like moral victories:
4 of their 5 losses last year were one score games including -3 in OT to Iowa and -7 to #12 Okle St.

I don’t buy into PJ Fleck’s narrative.

I am curious, what exactly is it about Fleck's narrative that you find so repulsive and what is it about Campbell's narrative that you find so refreshing??

I am curious, because many people around college football think Fleck's narrative and approach is A LOT like Matt Campbell's.

As someone who goes to multiple Gopher and Cyclone games a year, these are my thoughts:

1. I think both Campbell and Fleck are excellent coaches.
2. Both have upped the recruiting stakes, and both seem adept at development.
3. Brock Purdy is the real deal at QB. There was a reason Alabama was interested in him. I hope Annexstad is the real deal.
4. Gopher students are great, but simply don't show up with the numbers that Cyclone students do.
5. If I had to guess which coach would still be at the same school five years from now, I would without hesitation say Fleck.
6. Iowa State tailgating is really, really awesome.
7. Twin Cities media are way tougher on Fleck than Des Moines media are on Campbell.
8. I like the Cyclones. But I love the Gophers.

I too, have seen Iowa State, and of course, the Gophers play. Really very similar in a lot of ways. Both have Freshmen QB, IS is a better runner and perhaps, a notch better thrower. But then IS has a stud 6’6” and a 6’4” receivers which makes throwing the ball a little easier. IS also starts a freshmen in the OL but not even in the same zip code as the Gopher “big boy”. Same defensive structure as the Gophers except IS has far more experienced on the back end. Big, big difference defensively is that IS blitzes 4out of 5 downs. Obviously never the same in any one series. Would love to see the teams play each other in a bowl. Would be a great sign of success for both squads and coaching staffs. As to student attendance. Not much else to do in Ames, Iowa. Likewise, I too root for the Cyclones every year in the Hawkeye-Cyclone tussle.

I am curious, what exactly is it about Fleck's narrative that you find so repulsive and what is it about Campbell's narrative that you find so refreshing??

I am curious, because many people around college football think Fleck's narrative and approach is A LOT like Matt Campbell's.

Who said Fleck's narrative was repulsive to me? I don't buy it, that doesn't mean I'm repulsed by it. Some of what he says and does is way too self centered (from personal brand on the Gopher uniforms to sprinting down the sidelines between quarters), some of it is out right lies (turned down more money to come to the U, we only have 8 seniors), and I think those two things, for me, cloud some of what he does do well.

As for Campbell, I find it interesting that anyone would compare the two from a personality side (there's no similarity in what I've seen) and coaching (very different philosophies). From a coaching side, Campbell is a football coach, Fleck is the chief culture officer. They may be working towards similar goals, but they are taking very different paths, in my opinion.

Who said Fleck's narrative was repulsive to me? I don't buy it, that doesn't mean I'm repulsed by it. Some of what he says and does is way too self centered (from personal brand on the Gopher uniforms to sprinting down the sidelines between quarters), some of it is out right lies (turned down more money to come to the U, we only have 8 seniors), and I think those two things, for me, cloud some of what he does do well.

As for Campbell, I find it interesting that anyone would compare the two from a personality side (there's no similarity in what I've seen) and coaching (very different philosophies). From a coaching side, Campbell is a football coach, Fleck is the chief culture officer. They may be working towards similar goals, but they are taking very different paths, in my opinion.

Once again just shows how little you know. Keep trolling.

https://www.widerightnattylite.com/2016/10/2/13133832/iowa-state-football-culture-change-fans-are-a-part-of-it

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/new-uniforms-a-hit-with-players-signifies-changing-of-culture/article_c82c0e78-9a73-11e8-89ac-4321bbe0cf42.html

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom