OHIO STATE POST GAME THREAD - THOUGHTS

In the long run going deep will be good for this team and the WRs can win 50/50s. There have simply been a few that went the wrong way last couple games against good defenses. I would rather ZA heave it up than take bad sacks.

Are those the only choices??

All gopher teams I can remember go deep several times a game. It’s not like it’s a new strategy. It’s very poor execution thus far.

Not going to beat many teams giving up 600 yards. Tired of Smith’s soft zone with the safeties14 to 16 off. That’s means are defensive front are playing 9 against 11. Certainly wasn’t a moral victory. Not sure Huff or Shaenalt should see the field.
Anyone else getting sick of ZacA doing the double peak to the bench and drawing the clock down to 4or 5 seconds? Simplify the offense if requires a double peak. Maybe it’s time for Morgan. Maybe he won’t stare at his receiver.

It's not just Annexstad. Green does the same thing when he's running the Wildcat, and I'm pretty sure Morgan did the "double peek" in his short stint. I just assumed it was part of the system, and they are looking to the sideline for some kind of late signal or audible - in case the coaches see the defense doing something and want to change the play. But, as I said, I think it's by design - so you can't blame the QB for doing what he's being coached to do.

In the long run going deep will be good for this team and the WRs can win 50/50s. There have simply been a few that went the wrong way last couple games against good defenses. I would rather ZA heave it up than take bad sacks.

Too many picks just throwing it up, especially when they have a nice drive going. Take the sack and fight another day. If you throw up a handful of deep balls because of pressure that's ok, but when you start to get picks it's time to dial that back IMO.

I'm pleased, that was a way better performance than I expected.

Are those the only choices??

All gopher teams I can remember go deep several times a game. It’s not like it’s a new strategy. It’s very poor execution thus far.

I must have missed the last 10 years of Gopher football and this deep aerial attack you keep talking about.

So my thoughts are probably like most here. Obviously it was positive that we were hanging tough with the Buckeyes for quite a long time, but there were the negatives, too. I think with this game and most losses this season, the best thing to look for is what to build off of, and I think that's the case here. Issues and problem areas seen today can be cleaned up, so I'm still optimistic that the Gophers can snag bowl eligibility this season and have some good moments.

My thoughts.....

Can’t ask for too much more. In Columbus on homecoming as 30 point dogs? It wasn’t that it wasn’t just a 2 score game, we lead and won up front vs. more talented guys with mostly freshmen. If they didn’t have Haskins we win that outright. If you can’t see progress than you are truly a lost cause from years of scorn by previous gopher teams

I must have missed the last 10 years of Gopher football and this deep aerial attack you keep talking about.

I guess you must have. Have routinely gone deep several times a game on play action. Do you watch the games? It didn’t always work...but throwing out of bounds or ten yards above the head is better than to the other guys.

It's not just Annexstad. Green does the same thing when he's running the Wildcat, and I'm pretty sure Morgan did the "double peek" in his short stint. I just assumed it was part of the system, and they are looking to the sideline for some kind of late signal or audible - in case the coaches see the defense doing something and want to change the play. But, as I said, I think it's by design - so you can't blame the QB for doing what he's being coached to do.

Correct. It's fairly common. Gives them a chance to change the play after seeing how the defense lines up. I think they changed the play to a run on the 3rd and 7 conversion. Not sure if they're sometimes getting lined up too late or if Annexstad is taking too long to make the changes.

While the game was entertaining, I never really thought that we would pull out a win. I just don't get a vibe from this team that it is able to beat teams better than them. They gave a good effort, but in the end the outcome is what I expected.

Gimme a break- if you would have had the cajones to pick a score it would have been a 50+ pt win for OSU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm late to the party so I'm sure a lot of this has been talked about already. Today was both encouraging and disappointing in my opinion. There's a lot of positives to build upon. But it was a very winnable game. -3 in turnovers and two missed field goals are hard to overcome.

- OL was outstanding. Really impressed with Ibrahim's vision.
- I think the last INT and TD for Ohio St really tells the story about the QBs. Annexstad was looking at Johnson the entire time making it an easy read for the FS. Haskins looked left initially which made the FS shift that way and opening up the middle. I'm not sold on Annexstad yet but he should improve and grow as he matures.
- Coughlin is a monster right now. Also felt like the others provided some pressure as well. Even had a Jerry Gibson sighting.
- Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like Shenault is out of position a lot. He's been put in a tough situation.
- Loved the play calling on offense for the most part. Great trick play with the reverse flea-flicker.
- Tough game for the kicker.
- I'm sure it's been talked about a lot but them not reviewing the 4th down spot is inexcusable. I would love to hear an explanation but I doubt we will.
- I get that most everyone thought this wasn't going to be a close game but the announcers seemed completely unprepared. They talked constantly about the players out for Ohio St but didn't mention we were down our best defensive player, CB, DT and top 2 RB?

Ibrahim reminds me of a less thick Gary Russell. Hits the holes hard and keeps a low center of gravity.

We had a lot of bad breaks:
The 4th down play where OSU was given a first down was definitely not a first down.
The punt by them caught on the 1
They had aa first down play in which the left tackle moved early and was not called.
Johnson's fumble might have been overruled.
It seemed they caught all the breaks.

That was Gus Johnson's worse game ever announcing. Neither of those morons noticed thaat Zack was NOT leaving the game when Seth came in. Also they didn't notice our unbalanced line at times. They had a terrible spotter working a national game. What the hell?????

When the Gophers did something good, how many times did the "color guy" mention how many injuries poor Ohio State has? In other words, if Minnesota is being successful, there must be something wrong. Were Minnesota's numerous injuries mentioned? Nope.

When the Gophers did something good, how many times did the "color guy" mention how many injuries poor Ohio State has? In other words, if Minnesota is being successful, there must be something wrong. Were Minnesota's numerous injuries mentioned? Nope.
That was rather comical.
When you have commentators singing the ohio fight song after the game, you know it's not a good crew...

For 6 years under Kill and Claeys, fans b!tched incessantly that we didn’t throw it down the field and take some chances.

Now we do and throw a few INTs, and people are outraged and begging for RUTM.

I for one like it. It’s opening up the short yardage passes and running game. Plus I think Zack will start to connect on them.
I don't dislike the deep throws, what I dislike is how Zack Annexstad is throwing them. He started throwing them far too flat to start the year. Now they are floaters to a spot. Annexstad is throwing them where he staring down the location, and he is cutting off the throw by releasing the ball at the backside of the release almost a half side arm release. He is not driving through the throw and finishing this throw on the front foot. To much of the follow through on the deep throws is partially ending up on the ball of the back foot. Coach has already been telling him to to stop staring down throws. He needs to learn a head fake or turn to look off safety. Dudes playing well for a freshman. I think we all wih we had more experience at QB that could play like ZA. Add a suutle head a shoulder fake, finish your deep throws, throw to outside shoulder on boundary throws not inside. Keep hitting those inside dig routes and shallow post or tight end wheels, they are woeking.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trace McSorley and his deep group of awesome receivers last year feasted on those 50/50 balls all season...including against the Gophies. It can be a beautiful thing when the talent is there and it's clicking, but really ugly when it's not...like for ZA and the Gophie receivers now.

Not going to beat many teams giving up 600 yards. Tired of Smith’s soft zone with the safeties14 to 16 off. That’s means are defensive front are playing 9 against 11. Certainly wasn’t a moral victory. Not sure Huff or Shaenalt should see the field.
Anyone else getting sick of ZacA doing the double peak to the bench and drawing the clock down to 4or 5 seconds? Simplify the offense if requires a double peak. Maybe it’s time for Morgan. Maybe he won’t stare at his receiver.

Well that is certainly the worst take of the day.

No kidding. WTF?

It’s called shortening the game and I think it’s great, at least against a team like OSU. Huge fan of controlling the clock like that, shortening the game, etc. Sure, they’re not perfect yet but Annexstad is pretty young yet, he’ll have a much better command of the play-calling and the shot clock as he matures.

Probably lower on the list of “mistakes” that come to mind for most people, but not fair catching that punt where it bounced at about the 10 and allowing OSU to down the ball on our 1 was incomprehensible.

Punt returners that don’t fair catch the punt in that situation can’t be punt returners.

Why would our coaches think that is ok to do?

For 6 years under Kill and Claeys, fans b!tched incessantly that we didn’t throw it down the field and take some chances.

Now we do and throw a few INTs, and people are outraged and begging for RUTM.

I for one like it. It’s opening up the short yardage passes and running game. <b>Plus I think Zack will start to connect on them.</b>

What makes you think that? Just a belief that eventually he will throw a long ball that isn’t atrocious? I hope you are right.

A few thoughts:

ZA's deep ball is ugly, he had too many balls batted down too. He's certainly leaving the door open for Jacob Clark and Cole Kramer to come in and push him for playing time next year.

Daniel Faalele really helped solidify the OL, I was impressed. I can't wait to see him and Curtis Dunlap on the same OL (later this season?).

Mohamed Ibrahim keeps impressing me too, he's got great balance and a nice low center of gravity.

That 4th down 'first down' call and subsequent TD pass by OSU was a killer.

Carter Coughlin was beating his guy like a drum all game.

usually agree with you and I do again today

But - we've seen this movie before. Yes, the Gophers did some good things in the OSU game. Now, the question is, can they keep doing the good things - and at the same time, eliminate some of the mistakes.

That is not a given. There is no guarantee that all of the strong points today will continue to be strong points next week. Consistency is one of the biggest hurdles for teams to get over when trying to improve.

If the line play is this strong next week - AND they clean up some of the other issues, then that is a real reason for optimism. But, they have to demonstrate that they can play well two weeks in a row. The up-and-down good-one-week-bad-the-next routine has gone on seemingly forever.

I will be fired up about 2019 when the team (and coaches) give me a real reason to be fired up. How do they do that - play better next week. Then play better the week after that. Eliminate mistakes. Build on success. Demonstrate you can play consistent football.

AND STOP TRYING TO THROW THE DEEP BALL WHEN YOUR QB CAN'T THROW THE G-D BALL 20 YARDS DOWNFIELD WITHOUT DRAWING EVERY DUCK HUNTER IN THE STATE. I like a lot of what Annexstad does, but geez, there are HS QB's who throw a better deep ball.

Agree 99%. His deep ball is awful. It looks to me like he just hurls it as hard as he can in the general direction and hopes for the best. The 1% days you have to throw it from time-to-time to keep the defense honest. It’s a shame he can’t execute that play better.

I thought the same thing. Gus was having an orgasm every time OSU did something positive.

Not sure if they are buddies but still pretty cool to get noticed.

By the way, WRs had a total of 66 receptions last year. Now up to 83 already this year.

Trace McSorley and his deep group of awesome receivers last year feasted on those 50/50 balls all season...including against the Gophies. It can be a beautiful thing when the talent is there and it's clicking, but really ugly when it's not...like for ZA and the Gophie receivers now.

Penn State didn't play the Gophers last season.

Top Bottom