What Grade do you Give Fleck for Coaching in the Ohio State Game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score

I want to win as much as the next guy, but on the road, at #3 OSU, I going with a loose A.

Who would vote in this poll they prefer not to respond?
Wouldn’t you then just not respond?

Gave it a B. In-game management was pretty good, but I don't like that we're having communication trouble on play calls.

The part where I deduct points is in week-to-week development. Zack had issues with arm-punting last week, and then had issues with arm-punting this week.

It's tough with a freshman, but he needs to develop very quickly.

Defense looked good again so hopefully people stop citing the end-score against Iowa and look at the actual quality of play.

Super impressive B today's. Gophers played extremely hard today. Turnovers a missed field goals hurt us. I really like the play calling on offense and defense. If we can get really good effort line this the rest of the year, there is no reason the Gophers will not be bowling. I'm sure guys are disappointed, but they should realize Haskins one hell of a QB. Annexstad take notes on how to look off the Safety. Row the boat AnD Ski U Mah!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I give him an A. I gave the team no chance to be in this game and he prepared them to be in a position to win. Coaching includes prep for the game...not just in game decisions. This was a great game to watch and it was hard to watch it and be anything but optimistic about our future. RTB

Who would vote in this poll they prefer not to respond?
Wouldn’t you then just not respond?
Because if they don't respond, they can't see the results. And rather than force someone to vote a random A or F just to see responses would skew the poll.

Coaching gets an A.

Execution of what was called would be a historic win all things being equal.

Because if they don't respond, they can't see the results. And rather than force someone to vote a random A or F just to see responses would skew the poll.

I didn’t know that. Thanks for the explanation

I gave a C. Impressed with how we came out first half, but pretty embarrassing to not score one point in the second half.

You can't burn all those time outs through the course of the game and leave yourself no chance to manage the clock at the end of the half or the game. There are no moral victories.

They exceeded my expectations, so I voted B. It was good to see them play a competitive game against a top ranked team with so many young guys in key spots.

The "grades" given here are highly subjective.

Me, personally, I would never give an "A" when the team loses. Just on principle.

I voted C. there were good points, and bad points. C is in the middle of the scale, and that's where I felt the coaches (all of them) belonged today.

To be honest, I might have said B, but that last series on offense just ticked me off. There is literally nothing to lose in that situation. That's when you pull out the stops, try a trick play, or just try something to score before the end of the game. Walking off the field after scoring a touchdown is better than walking off the field after running up the middle and letting the clock run out. All of the people who joke about "participation trophies," - that's what that last series felt like to me. The Gopher coaches awarded their own team a participation trophy. I want them trying to score until the final gun - no matter the situation. Just my opinion. That does not mean I hate Fleck, hate the Gophers, or hate Mom's apple pie. (my Mom makes a great bleepin' pie - especially her rum pie at Christmas.)

B.

Team looked way better than I expected vs a team of blue chippers, in enemy territory. Demerits for the wierd confusion at times leading to no timeouts at the end of either half.

Also, have to believe ZA is being told to go deep despite the DB having good position and the safety streaking that direction before the ball leaves his hand, and his scattershot accuracy downfield. Even if he wasn’t instructed to throw deep despite it all, he wasn’t coached well enough to not do that. Two bad INTs. Wish we could have those back. Game may have turned out differently.

But, I’m encouraged. We should have a shot against every team on the schedule. Good job PJ.

B+. Coaches had them ready to play. They had a good game plan together. Loss you can't get an A. My only gripe was making sure they don't give Zack that deep ball until he cleans that up. He just can't keep throwing up those prayers as it killed momentum.

Agree on the last series. Laying up was head scratching after the risky passes prior to that. Go mid range, get first downs, score some points, take a shot. Maybe he didn’t want to add to ZAs interception total.

C Coaches need to be better as to the play calling (or quicker I should say) so you don't have to burn time outs. Use them when you really need them. Didn't feel it was necessary to do the long bomb as often as we did. Sure it mixes it up, but it seems to create problems for us. Felt that the tight end should have been used more often.

Despite that I felt it was an entertaining game and much improvement by the team as a whole. Should give us more confident yet going to Nebraska. Also hoping that the fans are on board as well. Much whinning, gripping coming into this game. Team showed up even though some of the fans didn't as you could clearly tell by the posts.

Speaking of posts. I'm surprised of some of the B's despite all the criticizing during the game. Not sure why a B when someone criticizes every moved.

Me, personally, I would never give an "A" when the team loses. Just on principle.

I voted C. there were good points, and bad points. C is in the middle of the scale, and that's where I felt the coaches (all of them) belonged today.

To be honest, I might have said B, but that last series on offense just ticked me off. There is literally nothing to lose in that situation. That's when you pull out the stops, try a trick play, or just try something to score before the end of the game. Walking off the field after scoring a touchdown is better than walking off the field after running up the middle and letting the clock run out. All of the people who joke about "participation trophies," - that's what that last series felt like to me. The Gopher coaches awarded their own team a participation trophy. I want them trying to score until the final gun - no matter the situation. Just my opinion. That does not mean I hate Fleck, hate the Gophers, or hate Mom's apple pie. (my Mom makes a great bleepin' pie - especially her rum pie at Christmas.)

I disagree with bringing out trick plays. It shows your cards for other teams in a meaningless drive. That double reverse the gophers pulled off a drive or two worked perfectly in large part the Gophers have never showed anything like that before. You bring out plays like that in big time situations or games where you need to try and spark some momentum.

As for the coaching today, I went with B+/A-. The one knock I had was the wasted timeouts in the second half. By Flecks reaction after the 1st timeout he didn't look to happy with Annexstad, but the one with Green in the game looked more like a coaches thing. Overall, it was a fun game to watch and I don't care if people want to brush off the moral victory thing. What I saw was a young team that played with a ton of energy, if Minnesota fans can't be proud of that...dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Offense C-, defense a D-. Overall D. To many communication problems on offense. Can’t continue to burn timeouts to save the offense. 600 yards won’t beat “the sisters of the poor” (old Lou Holz quote). Poor tackling, ridiculous coverage downfield.

The coaching is still suspect. The soft zone on defense is a killer. Another F. Offensive play calling was good. I call it a B. Special teams punt coverage was really good. I give them an A. Carpenter...is he hurt?
Overall, our coaching staff is far from elite, but the kids played very hard and I was very pleased with their effort.

I agree. Hard to give an A on a loss, but sometimes you lose because it's not coaching despite coaching doing whatever they could to win.
Everyone has their own way of interpreting this poll, and as long as they are consistent all year in their method of grading we should be fine.
Some do pass-fail. Whatever works, stay consistent.

A for fleck, B for players. Mistakes doomed us.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

A. I had no expectation of success going into this, and it would have been a one-score game late in the fourth quarter if not for the missed FGs. Not bad for playing the third-ranked team in the country in their stadium, one of the most imposing in college football.

I listened to the beginning and end of the game on the radio, and saw the rest in a bar, so I wasn't as plugged into it as I might have been. Seemed to me Johnson could easily have made a play on that second interception, and didn't even try. Fleck alluded to that in his post-game comments on the radio. I only heard the first INT; the pbp guy said it was a matter of Annexstad putting the ball on the receiver's inside shoulder instead of his outside. It was apparently another jump ball, which it seems the coaching staff likes. Fleck also faulted the receiver for not at least breaking the play up. IDK because I didn't see it.

Fleck said Annexstad's performance was outstanding. That may be going a bit far, but it was another good showing for the freshman. He absolutely has to learn to look off D backs, though. That's probably costing us at least 2-3 incompletions a game on balls that are batted down at the LOS.

I'll take six more efforts like this one, please.

JTG

C Coaches need to be better as to the play calling (or quicker I should say) so you don't have to burn time outs. Use them when you really need them. Didn't feel it was necessary to do the long bomb as often as we did. Sure it mixes it up, but it seems to create problems for us. Felt that the tight end should have been used more often.

Despite that I felt it was an entertaining game and much improvement by the team as a whole. Should give us more confident yet going to Nebraska. Also hoping that the fans are on board as well. Much whinning, gripping coming into this game. Team showed up even though some of the fans didn't as you could clearly tell by the posts.

Speaking of posts. I'm surprised of some of the B's despite all the criticizing during the game. Not sure why a B when someone criticizes every moved.

Criticizes staff, awards C, attacks others for criticism.

Criticizes staff, awards C, attacks others for criticism.

Perhaps a tough C. Some of you were on the staff on every play it seems like. No matter what Fleck did, you would do the opposite on everything. This is what was bothering me. Yeah you guys had it coming whinnying about everything.

Let's be honest about something. If you took anyone on this board - I mean anyone - and stuck us on the sideline in the middle of a game, and said "you make the call - what do we do next?" - I submit that anyone on this board, put in that situation, would sh*t their pants. Then throw up. Then sh*t their pants again.

We're fans. we complain and second-guess, because that's what most fans do. We always know the right answer. That's part of the fun of watching a game - trying to figure out what you would do in that situation - but it's fun because it doesn't count. there are no consequences.

As I said, if any of us had to make that call for real, it would be a whole lot harder than it seems from your vantage point in the stands or on the couch.

And that's the facts, jack.

There is literally a button next to the Vote Now button that says View Poll Results. Adding the 'Prefer not to respond option' to the poll is pointless and skews the vote percentages when used.

Fleck and the staff had this team ready. Simple execution this time hosed us. Mr Automatic missed two field goals. CANNOT leave points on the field, ever.
Defensive backfield still a concern

Let's be honest about something. If you took anyone on this board - I mean anyone - and stuck us on the sideline in the middle of a game, and said "you make the call - what do we do next?" - I submit that anyone on this board, put in that situation, would sh*t their pants. Then throw up. Then sh*t their pants again.

We're fans. we complain and second-guess, because that's what most fans do. We always know the right answer. That's part of the fun of watching a game - trying to figure out what you would do in that situation - but it's fun because it doesn't count. there are no consequences.

As I said, if any of us had to make that call for real, it would be a whole lot harder than it seems from your vantage point in the stands or on the couch.

And that's the facts, jack.

I think I’d suffer the “severe” stress for 3.3M

Top Bottom