What Grade do you Give Fleck for Coaching in the Ohio State Game?

What Grade do you Give Fleck for Coaching in the Ohio State Game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't necessarily agree that you need to save TO's for the end of game or half either.
What is troubling with the TO's we use, are the ones that are used because we can't figure out what play to run. The offense doesn't huddle, stands around over the ball looks at the sideline numerous times and then when the clock is under 5 we call a TO, because we don't have a play call in to the team. What the hell are they doing for the first 30 seconds of the 40 second clock?
If we had wrong personnel on the field after getting to the line or the players weren't lined up correctly to execute the play called, by all means a TO should be used.
But when we are standing there in a formation and waiting and waiting and looking to the sideline and waiting some more and then have to burn a TO, that is just stupid.
This is where I don't like the no huddle and having the team look to the sideline more than once to get a play call. Believe in your team that they can execute the play and turn it into a good result. Don't keep changing things because you're trying to find the best call to beat the D you are seeing. The D might change or they are trying to hide what they are actually going to do. Why not make a call and just run the play and maybe you catch the D off guard.

This was my exact same reasoning as well. Well said.

I don't necessarily agree that you need to save TO's for the end of game or half either.
What is troubling with the TO's we use, are the ones that are used because we can't figure out what play to run. The offense doesn't huddle, stands around over the ball looks at the sideline numerous times and then when the clock is under 5 we call a TO, because we don't have a play call in to the team. What the hell are they doing for the first 30 seconds of the 40 second clock?
If we had wrong personnel on the field after getting to the line or the players weren't lined up correctly to execute the play called, by all means a TO should be used.
But when we are standing there in a formation and waiting and waiting and looking to the sideline and waiting some more and then have to burn a TO, that is just stupid.
This is where I don't like the no huddle and having the team look to the sideline more than once to get a play call. Believe in your team that they can execute the play and turn it into a good result. Don't keep changing things because you're trying to find the best call to beat the D you are seeing. The D might change or they are trying to hide what they are actually going to do. Why not make a call and just run the play and maybe you catch the D off guard.

I agree with everything except the last paragraph. This is all about trying to give your offense the best chance to be successful. A lot of people complained about when Leidner was QB they would never change the play. Also, I think by doing it this way it's less your true freshman QB has to worry about. It's easier for the coaching staff in the booth to see how the defense is lined up.

But yes, they need to do a better job of getting the changes made and not having to use timeouts.

I agree with everything except the last paragraph. This is all about trying to give your offense the best chance to be successful. A lot of people complained about when Leidner was QB they would never change the play. Also, I think by doing it this way it's less your true freshman QB has to worry about. It's easier for the coaching staff in the booth to see how the defense is lined up.

But yes, they need to do a better job of getting the changes made and not having to use timeouts.

Teams need to be able to impose their will on the defense from time to time. To do that you line up and run the play regardless of what the D is showing you. That is real success.
Always having to look to the sideline to change the play so we can possibly have success isn't my idea of a team that believes in what they are doing or in the players that are out there to execute the play being run.

I'm a little surprised it is so tightly managed from the sidelines with the multiple check backs. Based on how the offense ran at WMU, I'm surprised we are not seeing more unique pre-snap sets and motion. That was a key in helping the QB make a quick, easy, and accurate read of the defense to understand the best option and who (RB or receiver) is the high percentage target.

Teams need to be able to impose their will on the defense from time to time. To do that you line up and run the play regardless of what the D is showing you. That is real success.
Always having to look to the sideline to change the play so we can possibly have success isn't my idea of a team that believes in what they are doing or in the players that are out there to execute the play being run.

They're not changing every play. A lot times they do go with the original play called. If you can create an advantage by changing the play or just flipping it, I don't see why you wouldn't do it. For instance, if you call a run play to the left but see you're outnumbered to that side based on how the defense lines up, why wouldn't you trip to flip it to the other side where you have the advantage? Some of the greatest QB's to ever play the game change plays all the time (Brady, Rodgers, Manning, etc). The difference is our coaching staff does it instead of the QB.

I'm a little surprised it is so tightly managed from the sidelines with the multiple check backs. Based on how the offense ran at WMU, I'm surprised we are not seeing more unique pre-snap sets and motion. That was a key in helping the QB make a quick, easy, and accurate read of the defense to understand the best option and who (RB or receiver) is the high percentage target.

I wonder if it has something to do with Annexstad being a true freshman. Maybe trying to make it a little easier for him, less to worry about?

They're not changing every play. A lot times they do go with the original play called. If you can create an advantage by changing the play or just flipping it, I don't see why you wouldn't do it. For instance, if you call a run play to the left but see you're outnumbered to that side based on how the defense lines up, why wouldn't you trip to flip it to the other side where you have the advantage? Some of the greatest QB's to ever play the game change plays all the time (Brady, Rodgers, Manning, etc). The difference is our coaching staff does it instead of the QB.

All good points and I do understand all that. Flipping a play shouldn't take that long to do or call at the line. Certainly shouldn't need to use a TO for a situation like that.
The TO's get called because they aren't getting a play call in on time, which means they are looking for the right play to run against a particular defense, but defenses have caught on to that and are holding guys in spots to further confuse the guys upstairs and then when the play clock is winding down the D can show their hand which leaves the O no time to readjust the play. This is when the TO's are used, which is bad coaching and not believing in your guys or not willing to impose your will on the D. I can see it happening maybe once or twice a season, but we are having it happen once or twice a game. I'd like to see them get over the ball, call a play and snap it, catching the D out of position a few times a game, without having to check the sideline. It would make the D be more honest with their alignments sooner.

All good points and I do understand all that. Flipping a play shouldn't take that long to do or call at the line. Certainly shouldn't need to use a TO for a situation like that.
The TO's get called because they aren't getting a play call in on time, which means they are looking for the right play to run against a particular defense, but defenses have caught on to that and are holding guys in spots to further confuse the guys upstairs and then when the play clock is winding down the D can show their hand which leaves the O no time to readjust the play. This is when the TO's are used, which is bad coaching and not believing in your guys or not willing to impose your will on the D. I can see it happening maybe once or twice a season, but we are having it happen once or twice a game. I'd like to see them get over the ball, call a play and snap it, catching the D out of position a few times a game, without having to check the sideline. It would make the D be more honest with their alignments sooner.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember seeing opposing defenses moving around a lot prior to the snap. We're generally not changing the formation, just the play (other than the RB changing sides). I think it's been a combination of the coaches not getting the play in soon enough or getting the change in quick enough, the players not getting lined up quick enough, and Annexstad losing track of the play clock.

Top Bottom