Never Go Full Rube - List ridiculous calls here

CurveballJesus

Reaction score
4th down spot
TJ “fumble”
Illegal hands to the ... close to the face?
Technically the right call, but Durr ejected for not defying the laws of physics

Last edited:

Good thread so far. Lets see how else we can get jobbed by the big ten. Gotta protect the brand and force a team into the CFP

I thought Johnson fumble was the right call

I think the reason TJ’s fumble was ruled a fumble was because it was a fumble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the reason TJ’s fumble was ruled a fumble was because it was a fumble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably, but if they flip the teams, the call is probably reversed.

You're probably right. Given that he seemed to secure it momentarily, I didn't think it could be reversed on replay. He had a very good game with one very unfortunate moment.

They most annoying thing was the announcers. Obviously, they are going to have a OSU bias, but EVERYTHING was about OSU! They sometimes knew the names of the MN players, but that was it. It had to be at least 95% OSU hype the whole game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw a couple people make the argument that if it happened in the endzone, it wouldn't have been a touchdown, and thus should have counted as a drop. I don't watch pros, but it seems the concept of "completing a catch" is very contentious in the NFL.

I'd also add, not a bad call, just bad luck, the one time Ohio State fumbled, the ball ended up right underneath the guy anyway.

I still haven’t recovered from the critical play a few years ago when Leidner was targeted, targeting was called, and then after a review that showed from every angle it was clearly targeting... the thing was overruled resulting in a pick 6 for Ohio State in front of their home fans. Never, in my opinion, has the integrity of college football been more suspect.

There was some bad luck and a couple shaky calls today. The refs didn’t miss the kicks or throw the interceptions. Can’t do that at Ohio State and spring an upset.

Looking at it again yeah it was probably the right call. However, we all know how it would have gone in reverse.

I still haven’t recovered from the critical play a few years ago when Leidner was targeted, targeting was called, and then after a review that showed from every angle it was clearly targeting... the thing was overruled resulting in a pick 6 for Ohio State in front of their home fans. Never, in my opinion, has the integrity of college football been more suspect.

There was some bad luck and a couple shaky calls today. The refs didn’t miss the kicks or throw the interceptions. Can’t do that at Ohio State and spring an upset.

I feel the same about that call/reversed call.
I will say today that the Gophers got some pi calls in their favor.

This!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I don't remember that one but I remember one against Iowa where Leidner was down, got a helmet to helmet hit, and Iowa wasn't called (Ferentz's teams seem to get a lot of leeway). To add insult to injury, we were called like 10 times that year for targeting.

My question - which I can't answer - is who makes the decision on replay. The 4th-down spot seemed off by at least a yard. The TV crew saw it.

So, I wonder - what are the rules? Can Fleck request/demand a replay? Who makes the final call - the ref on the field, or the mystery man in the replay booth. I know ( or think I know) that a college coach can't throw the red flag like an NFL coach. But there should be some mechanism to request a replay. AT least I think there should.

And I generally do not complain about officiating. I have too many friends who are officials. Yeah, even my friends blow a call now and then, but it's because they're human, not because they want team A or Team B to have an advantage.

(side note - was calling a HS FB game last week. Team A throws long pass - kid runs into end zone. I swear I thought I saw a ref signal TD. The PA announcer said it was a TD. Team A went out for next play - which I thought was the 2-point conversion. Play was stopped short of goal line. I was calling for a commercial break, when the ref held up 2 fingers for 2nd down. Team A was confused. Then I realized the earlier pass play had not been a TD, (ref said receiver stepped out of bounds) and the previous play had not been a 2-pt conversion, but was actually a 1st-and-goal play, meaning Team A now had a 2nd-and-goal. They eventually scored. I asked the Team A coach after the game, and he said he and his players thought the pass play was a TD, and he thought the next play was an unsuccessful 2-pt conversion. He was not happy with the refs for their lack of communication. it did not impact the outcome - team A lost the game 37-6.)

My question - which I can't answer - is who makes the decision on replay. The 4th-down spot seemed off by at least a yard. The TV crew saw it.

So, I wonder - what are the rules? Can Fleck request/demand a replay? Who makes the final call - the ref on the field, or the mystery man in the replay booth. I know ( or think I know) that a college coach can't throw the red flag like an NFL coach. But there should be some mechanism to request a replay. AT least I think there should.

And I generally do not complain about officiating. I have too many friends who are officials. Yeah, even my friends blow a call now and then, but it's because they're human, not because they want team A or Team B to have an advantage.

(side note - was calling a HS FB game last week. Team A throws long pass - kid runs into end zone. I swear I thought I saw a ref signal TD. The PA announcer said it was a TD. Team A went out for next play - which I thought was the 2-point conversion. Play was stopped short of goal line. I was calling for a commercial break, when the ref held up 2 fingers for 2nd down. Team A was confused. Then I realized the earlier pass play had not been a TD, (ref said receiver stepped out of bounds) and the previous play had not been a 2-pt conversion, but was actually a 1st-and-goal play, meaning Team A now had a 2nd-and-goal. They eventually scored. I asked the Team A coach after the game, and he said he and his players thought the pass play was a TD, and he thought the next play was an unsuccessful 2-pt conversion. He was not happy with the refs for their lack of communication. it did not impact the outcome - team A lost the game 37-6.)
Ryan Burns tweeted something to the effect that the refs told Fleck they wouldn't review even if he called a time out. If true, absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Did the lack of targeting cause Leidner to throw the INT? I think you're linking events that are separate, entirely possible they do eject the guy and Leidner still throws a pick 6.

Did the lack of targeting cause Leidner to throw the INT? I think you're linking events that are separate, entirely possible they do eject the guy and Leidner still throws a pick 6.

The pick 6 may have had something to do with their linebackers helmet testing the impact resistance of Mitch’s face mask. Not. Targeting.

Johnson fumble would have stayed with whatever was called on the field, in this case it was ruled a fumble on the field and so it stayed a fumble upon review. I've got no problem with that but yes, I do believe that if the uniforms were switched the call would have been overruled. The targeting call on Durr was technically correct and unfortunate for the Gophers. The 4th down spot was ridiculous as was the hands-to-the-face call.

Leidner reversal of targeting call probably is worst reversal in history of college football. Not the worse ref mistake of all time (Nebraska fifth down comes to mind) but definitely the worst overturn of a correct call ever.

Never in the history of football has a penalty been called on the defense and a defensive touchdown been allowed on the same play.

Ummmm. It was a targeting 15 yard penalty where after video review the flag was picked up, allowing the pick six to stand.

In real time it was called targeting. On video review (in which calls are reversed ONLY if there is contrary conclusive evidence), it was even MORE obviously targeting. Game changer. Head scratcher. Literally felt “fishy” to me.

Ummmm. It was a targeting 15 yard penalty where after video review the flag was picked up, allowing the pick six to stand.

In real time it was called targeting. On video review (in which calls are reversed ONLY if there is contrary conclusive evidence), it was even MORE obviously targeting. Game changer. Head scratcher. Literally felt “fishy” to me.

Sorry, didn't remember the exact play, thought you were saying it was the ensuing play after the targeting.

That targeting flag pickup was horrible, but a search on YouTube only yields a post game press conference question about it to Leidner. I can’t find video of the actual play. Part of the conspiracy perhaps? All evidence has been destroyed?

I do see lots of material on today’s blown first quarter 4th down spot on Twitter. That one was pretty bad too.

Sorry, didn't remember the exact play, thought you were saying it was the ensuing play after the targeting.

The funny thing was the OSU LB had a large face mask colored scrape on the crown of his helmet directly where he hit Mitch. Mitch’s head snapped back like JFK in the Zapruder film. Call overturned. Goon Squad head man Carrollo gave a very solemn talk about targeting at media days. He takes it very, very seriously (if the CFP isn’t on the line).

About the 47 minute mark

https://youtu.be/iFHf-MOR85w

Found it from another angle. I will forever be bitter about how this was actually called properly targeting on the field and then OVERRULED after video review!

Textbook targeting...

https://youtu.be/jaTi6ol5U7c

Ryan Burns tweeted something to the effect that the refs told Fleck they wouldn't review even if he called a time out. If true, absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would love to see a response from the Big Ten but I doubt we will.

Top Bottom