Never Go Full Rube - List ridiculous calls here

I still haven’t recovered from the critical play a few years ago when Leidner was targeted, targeting was called, and then after a review that showed from every angle it was clearly targeting... the thing was overruled resulting in a pick 6 for Ohio State in front of their home fans. Never, in my opinion, has the integrity of college football been more suspect.

There was some bad luck and a couple shaky calls today. The refs didn’t miss the kicks or throw the interceptions. Can’t do that at Ohio State and spring an upset.

This, I didn't see the refs pushing our kicks wide or forcing the interceptions. I agree there were some bad calls, especially that 4th down "conversion" but really we controlled our own destiny and the refs didn't need to job us, our mistakes lost us that game.

He initially defended the call that season. It wasn’t until the following season he admitted a mistake. Videos, incontrovertible evidence perhaps shamed him into fessing up.

The "he hit him in the shoulder and it "slid up" to hitting him in the face" explanation is the most BS thing I've ever heard.

They most annoying thing was the announcers. Obviously, they are going to have a OSU bias, but EVERYTHING was about OSU! They sometimes knew the names of the MN players, but that was it. It had to be at least 95% OSU hype the whole game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I totally disagree. Gus Johnson is one of the best in the business and both announcers were gushing in their praise of how the Gophers were playing all through the game.

I don't remember that one but I remember one against Iowa where Leidner was down, got a helmet to helmet hit, and Iowa wasn't called (Ferentz's teams seem to get a lot of leeway). To add insult to injury, we were called like 10 times that year for targeting.

7. Most of which were questionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "he hit him in the shoulder and it "slid up" to hitting him in the face" explanation is the most BS thing I've ever heard.

IIRC a reporter from one the Mpls papers cornered him in an interview with the video. I mean, what are you going to say at that point? Well, uh, you can see he hits him in the helmet, I mean the chest, and his head snaps back, I mean forward, because of that...yeah it was a bad call. Sorry? We’ll try harder. We will pay for optometrist visits and eyeglasses. We will study the rule book. We take targeting very, very seriously in the Big Ten. Safety is our #2, I mean #1 priority.

The officials do have to make a lot of bang bang judgment calls. That wasn’t one of them. Perhaps the worst call I’ve ever seen in terms of making the officials and by extension the league look shady.

I totally disagree. Gus Johnson is one of the best in the business and both announcers were gushing in their praise of how the Gophers were playing all through the game.

I agree. The crew was very complimentary of the Gophers play.

Did the lack of targeting cause Leidner to throw the INT? I think you're linking events that are separate, entirely possible they do eject the guy and Leidner still throws a pick 6.

He threw a pick six at OSU that was so blatantly targeting and was called targeting on the field. They reversed the call and gave OSU a TD. It changed the entire game.

I still haven’t recovered from the critical play a few years ago when Leidner was targeted, targeting was called, and then after a review that showed from every angle it was clearly targeting... the thing was overruled resulting in a pick 6 for Ohio State in front of their home fans. Never, in my opinion, has the integrity of college football been more suspect.

There was some bad luck and a couple shaky calls today. The refs didn’t miss the kicks or throw the interceptions. Can’t do that at Ohio State and spring an upset.

The call you reference, the Penn State phantom P.I. call in 2006 and the Purdue clock game in 2001 (63 yards in 18 seconds for game tying Field Goal) which included an obvious touchdown by Antoine Henderson where we received an official apology has always made me think Delaney was separated at birth with David Stern.

Top Bottom