All Things Extend PJ Fleck contract

I mean I like PJ too, but I think that calls for a 10+ year extension after scoring a touchdown on Ohio state is a little overkill.

I’m waiting for hello-worlds opinion until I make my decision..:cry:

I am for securing PJ Fleck to a long term contract. The Gophers can't continue on the path of coaching carousels and expect program stability and move up from and average finish of 5th place in B1G West.

Here is the coaching history dating back to Joe Salem:

Joe Salem, 5 years, 1979-1983, Record: 19-35-1
Lou Holtz, 2 years, 1984-1985, Record: 10-12
John Gutekunst, 6 years, 1986-1991, Record: 29-37-2
Jim Wacker, 5 years, 1992-1996, Record: 16-39
Glen Mason, 10 years, 1997-2006, Record: 64-57
Tim Brewster, 4 years, 2007-2010, Record: 15-30
Jerry Kill, 5 years, 2011-2014, Record: 29-29
Tracy Claeys, 2 years, 2015-2016, Record: 11-8

In hindsight, had Glen Mason revamped his defense he would have been coaching the Gophers longer than 10 years. He had to fight for support for his football program. He was instrumental in getting the TCF Bank Stadium built.

The 2nd half meltdown in the 2006 Insight Bowl against Texas Tech was his undoing. It was too much too overcome. They were leading 38-7 in the 3rd quarter, but allowed Texas Tech to score 31 unanswered points in one of the biggest meltdown in bowl history. If he was allowed to spend money on his assistants and fire his defensive coordinator, he would have been coaching for quite a while. His record would have been better.

Jerry/Kill Tracy Claeys with Jerry's health and the Sex scandal spelled doom to their tenures.

Last edited:

I'd like to see PJ coaching here for the next 20 years ... if he deserves it.

Can't say he's proven that yet, but I hope he does. Not because I adore him, but because I'd like to see what it's like to have big-time college football in the state. And continuity is the most likely way of getting there.

JTG

Lock him up? You've got to stop watching those Trump rallies on TV.

I think we need to examine his high school yearbook before we commit to a long term relationship. What does “you scored big time” mean Mr Fleck? Hmm? Call the FBI, CIA, INTERPOL, the Red Cross, Gloria Allred.

Remember when if the Gophers didn’t back up a Brinks truck to Tim Brewster’s house he was going to Tennessee for sure?

No, I don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The GOPHER played very well in the Ohio Stadium today. The players played. The coaches had a good game plan. The players executed the game plan admirably. The result was a Big Ten loss. There are now calls for a long=term lock up...10 years...undoubtedly at least a 40 to 50 million dollar long term investment in a head coach by the time you figure in the usual cost of living increases built in to a Ferentz like contract that automatically renews with a nice raise every year.

Fleck's Big Ten record is 2 wins and 10 losses. That is a .16667 Big Ten winning percentage. Even lower than Dick Pitino's BT winning percentage. He won't even be considered by anyone as a "catch... and steal until he gets that Big Ten winning percentage to closer to .400 OR above. Please, be realistic folks. Look at reality. Look at all the former Gopher coaches who exceeded a .1667 BT winning percentage who were fired for being losers...

Last edited:

We don't even know if PJ is going to be bowl eligible after this season and you want to extend him? Thank god you're not making decisions.

No, I don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do. Gophers were 7-1 with a blowout loss to OSU. Ranked #20. An insane pick 6 last play of the game turned OT into a L vs Northwestern. Gophers lost all of em rest of the year including 55-0 to Iowa. But at that peak it was all Brew’s leaving for sure w/o big extension.

Simple answer is extend him long enough to keep recruiting viable but keep the buyout low. He isn’t a hot commodity at the moment.

What kind of life expectancy does PJ have?

He is pretty fit.

Top Bottom