Chip Scoggins: Emerging receiver corps a bright spot for Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

The pass floated deep down the sideline. In one fluid motion, Chris Autman-Bell turned his body, leapt and hauled in a 34-yard completion over an Iowa cornerback.

The very next pass was a jump ball in the end zone. Rashod Bateman outjumped his defender for a 3-yard touchdown catch.

One drive, two impactful receptions, and neither involved Tyler Johnson. This constitutes progress for the Gophers football team.

Their offense features a legitimate receiving corps for the first time in what feels like forever. Not just one guy. Or even two. They now have three receivers who look like they belong in the Big Ten.

The Gophers finally have a complement to Johnson, who performed as a one-man act last season. The two freshmen, Bateman and Autman-Bell, have combined for 41 catches for 477 yards in five games. Bateman also has three touchdown catches.

Former star Ron Johnson holds the program record for catches by a freshman at 38 set in 1998. Both Bateman and Autman-Bell could surpass that mark.

Their development is still its infancy. They are showing potential, not a finished product. Saturday’s baptism into big-time football at Ohio State will serve as another valuable experience.

But in eye test and statistics, that position is the most improved on this 3-2 team by a country mile.

“Wide receiver is kind of our forte,” P.J. Fleck said. “I think you’re starting to see the development of a really special wide receiver unit here. That’s something we wanted to create the day we walked in here.”

http://www.startribune.com/emerging-receiver-corps-a-bright-spot-for-gophers/497297361/

Go Gophers!!

If the other position groups improve like the wr group has this will be a lot of fun.

Seems like no coincidence that the position has turned around quick under Fleck, a former WR. I still think the 2019 Gophers are a great situation for a grad transfer QB.

Though I agree the WR position has turned around, I'd still say RB is our forte. Come late season cold, I'd rather have a solid running game than a solid passing game. Glad to see improvement nonetheless, as a balance is key.

Top Bottom