Favorite current Gophers--offense and defense

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
I like to think about each side of the ball as separate, so I'll pick a favorite player from both sides. Can be injured, a backup, a cousin or a friends kid. Pick someone from each side and give a reason as to why (if you so choose)

Offense:
Rashod Bateman--Obviously he is extremely talented has produced a lot in a short time, especially for a true freshman. But the reason he is my favorite player on offense is a story Fleck told about recruiting him. He got a commitment and was worried Bateman would flip. The big dogs were sniffing around, namely Georgia. So Fleck tells his wife that he is going to lose him. He is worked up. His wife says to call Rashod, so PJ does.

After they chat for a couple minutes, Bateman asks if Fleck trusts him. Fleck says yes. Bateman says he isn't going anywhere and to stop worrying. Later on, Bateman gets an RTB tattoo, cementing his commitment.

Defense:
Carter Coughlin--Obviously he has been very productive for the Gophers but I think the kid truly loves the school, the team, etc. He wants to win and be a leader. Can't teach that.

Offense: Rodney Smith. He is a stud on the field but reading about how he is mentoring the freshman running backs since his injury increased my respect for him. Defense: A. Winfield. We really miss him and I love his tackling abilities and how " big " he plays.

Offense: Zack Annexstad - he may not be the answer, and I'd argue he's been set up to make the legend of PJ Fleck more exciting through the shenanigans with his scholarship, but he seems like a good kid and I think he'll grow into a pretty good QB for us.

Defense: Thomas Barber - all I'll say is that he deserves a better DC.

RB13
TB41

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offense: Zack Annexstad - he may not be the answer, and I'd argue he's been set up to make the legend of PJ Fleck more exciting through the shenanigans with his scholarship, but he seems like a good kid and I think he'll grow into a pretty good QB for us.

Defense: Thomas Barber - all I'll say is that he deserves a better DC.

Ditto for active players.

Offense: Rodney Smith. He is a stud on the field but reading about how he is mentoring the freshman running backs since his injury increased my respect for him. Defense: A. Winfield. We really miss him and I love his tackling abilities and how " big " he plays.

I will stick with players that are able to step on the field right now:

O R. Bateman Looks like a NFL prospect

D Cashman Smith needs to find ways to better utilize him like previous staff did

If we were picking overall players, healthy or not:

-Shannon Brooks by a mile

-Winfield

I will stick with players that are able to step on the field right now:

O R. Bateman Looks like a NFL prospect

D Cashman Smith needs to find ways to better utilize him like previous staff did

If we were picking overall players, healthy or not:

-Shannon Brooks by a mile

-Winfield

Completely miffed by your previous staff comment on Cashman. Go look at his 2016 stats. I question why he didn't have more playing time last year.

Offense: ZA. I think he was a big recruiter for the other two IMG guys. Biggest impact on our future.
Defense: Winfield.

Offense: Tyler Johnson - he was loyal to his small high school and brought their athletic program back to being really good in football and basketball. He’s local and he’s great in the open field

Defense: Kamal Martin another local player who has made some plays and who I think will play a big part in the defense turning it around soon

O- Daniel Faalele- finally a dominant offensive lineman

D- Carter Coughlin- 100% on every play

Completely miffed by your previous staff comment on Cashman. Go look at his 2016 stats. I question why he didn't have more playing time last year.

Because he was playing hurt. Which has been repeated over and over again.

Offense- Seth Green (And whoever claimed that he didn't HAVE to throw the bomb that was intercepted is incorrect. Was the ONLY receiver the Gophers sent out on that play.)
Defense-Cashman (Although he did get beat by the tight end for a touchdown last game. Tough to stay with Fant.)

On offense, its been Shannon Brooks since this play:

For defense, I'd go with Blake Cashman. Straight Cash Homie.

Offense - Bateman. Already looks like the making of our biggest playmaker on that side of the ball as a true freshman. Stuck with his commitment even with bigger and more prestigious offers coming in. That kind of faithfulness can not be understated. Could make the case for Johnson....although the early game drops are a concern. Annexstad coming in as a walk on despite having decent scholarship offers could be a tricky one too. Bringing along Faalele (who's looking like a boss) and Dulap doesn't hurt.

Defense - Winfield Jr. Hands down. The fact that he makes plays on special teams is just icing on the cake. Again...like Bateman....he stuck with his commitment to the team even when he was tossed under the bus and suspended last year...despite his father urging him to leave and him likely having other soft landing spots.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Defense: Coughlin, an absolute MODEL for what you want someone to bring to your program.

Offense: TJ6. Bateman / Smith and Brooks will argue for the spot later.

Offense: Ibrahim, Faleale, Bateman (wish they would throw to him more often), and Johnson

Defense: Coughlin, Barber, Cashman

Cashman and Coughlin. Rodney on O. Also like Wyler's game for the most part. Always seems to be solid.

Top Bottom