Pat Reusse: Gophers have 7 football victories over Buckeyes, and we have the proof

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

NOV. 7, 1981—GOPHERS 35, OSU 14, Memorial Stadium.

The Gophers had started playing in Memorial Stadium in 1924 and this was the last great victory in the Brickhouse. The decline of the Gophers’ standing with the public had started in 1968, when Bud Grant took the Vikings to the playoffs for the first time, and it was evident on this November day when the 18th-ranked Buckeyes came to Minneapolis:

The crowd was announced at 42,793, to see Joe Salem’s wide-open offense featuring quarterback Mike Hohensee. The Gophers fell behind 14-0 and then 21-7 at halftime, and Hohensee started throwing and never stopped.

Jon Roe, writing in the Sunday Tribune, described it thusly:

“Hohensee threw 67 passes. He completed 37 of those throws. For 444 yards and five touchdowns. And the last throw, although it may not have been his best throw, was certainly the sweetest.’’

It was a touchdown pass with 2:38 to go to put the Gophers in front, and it came when Ohio State defensive back Kevin Bell had it pop off his hands and to Jay Carroll. The Gophers’ tight end corraled the ball for his third touchdown catch of the long afternoon.

The Gophers moved into the Metrodome in 1982. They started 3-0, were ranked No. 19 in the country and had 63,000 people show up for the season’s fourth game vs. Illinois, featuring quarterback Tony Eason and tight end Tim Brewster.

The Gophers lost that one, and overall, 18 of Salem’s last 19 games as coach – meaning, the tipped pass to Carroll was pretty much the last break of Smokey Joe’s five seasons at his alma mater.

OCT. 14, 2000: Gophers 29, OSU 17, Columbus.

Ohio State was rated No. 6 in the country and Glen Mason’s fourth Gophers team was an 11 ½-point underdog. Quarterback Travis Cole, running back Tellis Redmon and receiver Ron Johnson were the playmakers for an offense that put up a solid 381 yards against what had been the nation’s No. 1-rated defense.

You have to rank it as the No. 1 victory of Mason’s decade in Minnesota, considering it was in the stadium where he played and was an assistant coach for eight years, and it was the Gophers’ first victory in Columbus since 1949.

Also: The third victory all-time in Columbus and it remains the last.

Yet, before you despair and think unkind thoughts about the Buckeyes, remember this:

If it was not for the Faculty Senate of Ohio State voting (allegedly for academic reasons) not to allow Woody Hayes’ Buckeyes to go to the Rose Bowl after the 1961 season, the Gophers would not have been invited to Pasadena for a second consecutive year, and our boys would not have had the chance to defeat UCLA 21-3 on Jan. 1, 1962, and Minnesota would still be waiting to win a Rose Bowl.

Thank you, pompous OSU Faculty Senators of three generations past.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ver-buckeyes-and-we-have-the-proof/496928971/

Go Gophers!!

NOV. 7, 1981—GOPHERS 35, OSU 14, Memorial Stadium.

The Gophers fell behind 14-0 and then 21-7 at halftime, and Hohensee started throwing and never stopped.

This is amazing. OSU had 21 points at halftime and somehow ended the game with 14.

I thought the most interesting thing in the article was the number of games Ohio State has played against the other long-time B1G teams. They have played 102 games against Illinois, but only 52 against Minnesota. That just doesn't seem right - but without checking the numbers myself, I'll assume that's correct.

points out how wacky the scheduling has been in the conference - even in the days before divisions.

I thought the most interesting thing in the article was the number of games Ohio State has played against the other long-time B1G teams. They have played 102 games against Illinois, but only 52 against Minnesota. That just doesn't seem right - but without checking the numbers myself, I'll assume that's correct.

points out how wacky the scheduling has been in the conference - even in the days before divisions.

The Gophers have played Nebraska more times than they have played tOSU.

Masons #1 win was at Penn St and I don’t think it’s close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The great 49ers team, loaded with talent and All-Americans (Tonnemaker, Bud Grant, Gordie Soltau, Leo Nomellini, Billy Bye) went into Columbus and beat Wes Fesler's Buckeyes 27-0, despite that Ohio State's sophomore halfback was Vic Janowicz, who would win the Heisman the following year. After the victory, the 4-0 Gophers were ranked no. 3 in the polls, behind Notre Dame and Army. They were odds on favorites for the Rose Bowl. But a 7-14 loss to defending national champion Michigan at Ann Arbor caused a tongue lashing from Bierman, resented by older players, many of whom had served in the war; they rebelled and played flat against a losing Purdue team at MN's homecoming, losing again 7-13, which ruined the season. No Rose Bowl. Finished 7-2 and in the Top Ten, but many feel that game cost Bierman his job, as the disappointment from '49, exceeded that of the one-victory 1950 season, after which Bierman was fired, still in his fifties and after winning five national championships and going about .710 overall. The loss to us was Ohio St's only loss in '49, and they went on to beat a 10-0 California team in the Rose Bowl.

Masons #1 win was at Penn St and I don’t think it’s close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to argue with that. I haven’t gone back to watch that one lately, but it felt like watching at the time it was a bigger upset by far. It felt like luck had to be on the Gophers side that day.
The Gophers were easily the better team that day in Columbus though on both sides of the ball.

Top Bottom