Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossroads?

Default Crossroads?

Something I have been thinking about lately is I feel this program is at some kind of crossroad with Fleck if he doesn't workout long term, but can't really put my finger on it. Just seeing what's happened since Mason was let go, with the Brewster disaster and Kills health issues we are now with our 3rd head coach since TCF opened. I do think Fleck will be gone even if he succeeds here, it will create to many opportunities for him to not go elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wdgold; 10-11-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Do we think Fleck gets fired if he does poorly this year? Probably not.

So while maybe there is a moment here where things turn around, if there's no possibility of change even if they do poorly.... not sure there is really a crossroads that isn't there... the next game and the next game and so on.

FWIW, we are actually on our 5th head coach since TCF Bank Stadium opened: Brewster, Horton, Kill, Claeys and now Fleck.

Go Gophers!!

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    Do we think Fleck gets fired if he does poorly this year? Probably not.

So while maybe there is a moment here where things turn around, if there's no possibility of change even if they do poorly.... not sure there is really a crossroads that isn't there... the next game and the next game and so on.
    Yeah Its still to early yet for Fleck. I think year 4 will tell a lot being the young team he has now.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    FWIW, we are actually on our 5th head coach since TCF Bank Stadium opened: Brewster, Horton, Kill, Claeys and now Fleck.

Go Gophers!!
    I stand corrected

Crossroads in year 2? Forget it. I'm the original Flecktic, but we have to be more realistic than that. Apart from gross and obvious incompetence, there's no reason to make a judgement before year 4.
    Iím a light eater. As soon as itís light, I start to eat. And I'm on a seefood diet. If I can see food, I'll eat it.

Calm down. Unless his name is Tracy Claeys, most every coach is going to get at least 4 years to make his case.

So far, everything has progressed pretty close to what Fleck has been saying since the day he arrived. It does appear the team is building and will be better next year and especially the year after that. So, it would be quite shocking for him to appear on a hot seat after this season. Not next year really either. 2020, maybe if the team is still hovering around .500 overall with 1 or 2 win conference seasons.

I am a bit concerned about the defense. After watching some very good D under Kill/Claeys, I was concerned when the new D coordinator had a history at Arkansas of declining D to the point of being fired. Unlike the offense, the Gopher D has non-freshmen manning most of the positions. 2 games is not necessarily a trend but echoes of Wacker teams are currently dancing in my head.

Perhaps some of this is scheme related. Kill (properly, in my mind) had great ball control running teams. That automatically makes any defense better. The Gophers now lack a running game (yes, injuries do hurt too) and with all the passing it is raising the time the D needs to be on the field. Either way, it has been two bad weeks of giving up lots of points.

Quote Originally Posted by everybody knows my name View Post
    Crossroads in year 2? Forget it. I'm the original Flecktic, but we have to be more realistic than that. Apart from gross and obvious incompetence, there's no reason to make a judgement before year 4.

And since this is only year 1, we have 3 more years before we can make a decision at that crossroad.

Quote Originally Posted by everybody knows my name View Post
    I guess I need to clarify my original post. I guess I'm not referring to this year specifically but as whole if Fleck does not work out.

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Calm down. Unless his name is Tracy Claeys, most every coach is going to get at least 4 years to make his case.
    I think I'm being misunderstood from my original post sorry for that.

Quote Originally Posted by wdgold View Post
    I think I'm being misunderstood from my original post sorry for that.

I think perhaps your idea of "crossroads" is different than others.

A crossroads is where things go in a different directions.

Win or lose over the rest of the year.... I don't think the overall direction necessarily is likely to change.

Quote Originally Posted by wdgold View Post
    I guess I need to clarify my original post. I guess I'm not referring to this year specifically but as whole if Fleck does not work out.

I know what you mean, but where do you think that road would lead, even if it's a negative place? The program has had some terrible teams over the years. Then a new coach is hired and rebuilds. We haven't gotten to where we'd like to be, but we've been to hell a few times and survived.

That Salem team was probably the worst in college football. Even after that season we were able to hire Lou Holtz, who would've taken us to a Rose Bowl (I expect to hear from a few non-Holtz people now). He left and Bobby Ross was interested in the job; we passed and he went to Georgia Tech and won a national championship. Kill/Claeys had us going well, and we were able to get Fleck, maybe the hottest commodity that year.

It's about hiring the right coach and getting the right support from the administration. If Fleck fails, we'll hire a new guy and try again. Unfortunately, that's what we do in Minnesota. We're bound to get it right some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hates Monikers View Post
    I know what you mean, but where do you think that road would lead, even if it's a negative place? The program has had some terrible teams over the years. Then a new coach is hired and rebuilds. We haven't gotten to where we'd like to be, but we've been to hell a few times and survived.

That Salem team was probably the worst in college football. Even after that season we were able to hire Lou Holtz, who would've taken us to a Rose Bowl (I expect to hear from a few non-Holtz people now). He left and Bobby Ross was interested in the job; we passed and he went to Georgia Tech and won a national championship. Kill/Claeys had us going well, and we were able to get Fleck, maybe the hottest commodity that year.

It's about hiring the right coach and getting the right support from the administration. If Fleck fails, we'll hire a new guy and try again. Unfortunately, that's what we do in Minnesota. We're bound to get it right some day.
    +1

There is zero chance of Fleck being fired this year or next.
    Aloha Mr. Hand