JUst a thought -

Rog

Reaction score
Next year the ticket office should pick out a B10 football game and reduce the ticket cost to 1/2. (the season ticket should pro-rate this also).
then sit back and see how the attendance responds. I have a feeling there is moe to it then just the cost.

I went to the UT-TCU game a few weeks ago and sat higher up than anyone. I paid 75 each for the tickets. The stadium was 95% full. It's probably not just the money considering how cheap Gopher tickets are. We need to build some excitement and hype.

The tickets are already like 1/2 off on stubhub.... pretty sure many go unsold.

The tickets are already like 1/2 off on stubhub.... pretty sure many go unsold.

If the product sucks, casual fans are not going to want to waste 4+ hours of their day watching gopher fb. Ultimately, the gophers have to win to garner excitement and enthusiasm. Heck, reading posts on here, people cannot give their tickets away for free, so price is not the issue. Casual fans don't want to watch a crappy football team in person. Who can blame them?

If the product sucks, casual fans are not going to want to waste 4+ hours of their day watching gopher fb. Ultimately, the gophers have to win to garner excitement and enthusiasm. Heck, reading posts on here, people cannot give their tickets away for free, so price is not the issue. Casual fans don't want to watch a crappy football team in person. Who can blame them?

If I want to watch crappy football, I could see my old high school team play for 12 bucks...

I have both tickets to Iowa State and Minnesota. Iowa State sells out nearly every game in a larger stadium and there product is at or below Minnesota's over the years. On top of that they have donation fees of 5000 to 12000 per seat in some locations. Minnesota highest is 1750. I realize demographics and location are apart of this as Iowa State is the only show but donation fees aren't the main deterrent as nearly every stadium has them.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Iowa State is also in Ames where there is nothing else to do.

Next year the ticket office should pick out a B10 football game and reduce the ticket cost to 1/2. (the season ticket should pro-rate this also).
then sit back and see how the attendance responds. I have a feeling there is moe to it then just the cost.
I got 2 tickets to the northwestern game for 3 pizzas. That's less than half price.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I have both tickets to Iowa State and Minnesota. Iowa State sells out nearly every game in a larger stadium and there product is at or below Minnesota's over the years. On top of that they have donation fees of 5000 to 12000 per seat in some locations. Minnesota highest is 1750. I realize demographics and location are apart of this as Iowa State is the only show but donation fees aren't the main deterrent as nearly every stadium has them.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

The Gophers have the distinct disadvantage that there are eight pro teams competing for fan dollars. Not to mention, there is arts and entertainment like the Orpheum Theater, etc...

The bottom line is that the Gophers have to start winning before the fan attendance will grow again. Win a B1G title and see what happens. It is not so much the money. It is multi-venue entertainment competition, and the myriad of reasons people have mentioned in GH. Principally, from an entertainment standpoint the fans have to think that is is worthwhile going to live games and fighting traffic and other hassles.

The Gophers have the distinct disadvantage that there are eight pro teams competing for fan dollars. Not to mention, there is arts and entertainment like the Orpheum Theater, etc...

The bottom line is that the Gophers have to start winning before the fan attendance will grow again. Win a B1G title and see what happens. It is not so much the money. It is multi-venue entertainment competition, and the myriad of reasons people have mentioned in GH. Principally, from an entertainment standpoint the fans have to think that is is worthwhile going to live games and fighting traffic and other hassles.

Agree with everything you said except for "arts and entertainment like the Orpheum"...I don't think your average drunkard Vikes fan is debating about going to the theater.

Top Bottom