Trick plays

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Okay. I am a homer Gopher fan and fans often get warped senses of reality. With that being said it SEEMS like through the years and through the coaches trick plays always work for other teams when playing the Gophers and when the Gophers attempt them they always fail. Bad impression on my part?

I do remember starting an Indiana game with a running back pitch back to QB for a big pass gainer a few years back. Any other unique plays pay off for our lads that I am not thinking about?

Meanwhile, the list is long of fake field goals, punts, etc. that have fizzled under Kill and now Fleck.

I suspect think it is more that we just haven't done many of them since Kill... or maybe Brewster either.

Horton managed some good onside kicks....

As for fake field goals, we've had good kicking, knowing you'll likely get 3 probabbly tempers those choices a bit.

I suspect think it is more that we just haven't done many of them since Kill... or maybe Brewster either.

Horton managed some good onside kicks....

As for fake field goals, we've had good kicking, knowing you'll likely get 3 probabbly tempers those choices a bit.

Before Carpenter, the kicking game was never strong...

-I remember a fake FG against Wisconsin in 2001 that extended a drive for the nail in the coffin TD.
-Fake FG for a TD against Wisconsin in 2011 when kicker scored a TD (but then promptly missed the PAT)

It does seem like some have gone against us. Like poker, perhaps that's just you always remember your bad beats, never your wins.
-Failed fake punt against Indiana in 2013
-Failed fake FG against Michigan in 2012
-Colorado State executes fake punt in 2016
-Missouri onside kick, 2014

I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Before Carpenter, the kicking game was never strong...

Lohillmiller (sp) went on to have a good career with the Washington Red Skins
Lloyd I felt was good.
Nystrom was good.
So disagree with the notion that we didn't have good kickers.

For the Gophers so far, throwing to a TE should be considered a trick play...

I always wonder if coaches take notice to how prepared teams are for trick plays. If team A runs a trick play against team B, and team B is well coached, then they should blow up that fake. If I am coaching team C, I probably won't try a different trick play, because I no know they are well coached and will probably be set to defend it too. Conversely, if team B gets burned by the fake, as team C I probably want to try a different fake they haven't seen yet, and trust they will also have no idea what they are doing on that one either.

Santoso getting stoned oh his attempt to dive into the end zone was one for the ages. His running technique was akin to a shoplifter running out of a convenience store with an armful of smokes. Seth Green he wasn’t.

Santoso getting stoned oh his attempt to dive into the end zone was one for the ages. His running technique was akin to a shoplifter running out of a convenience store with an armful of smokes. Seth Green he wasn’t.

Was that the Purdue game? He got hit hard. It appeared there was an alley but it closed very quickly! hahaha

Seem to remember a series of on-side kicks successfully executed against PSU back in the Dome days.

Does a Hail Mary on 1st down against Penn State qualify as a trick play? In any case, it worked for Mason and crew.

On trick plays...

... the one college coach I got to know pretty well was Dennis Franchione. He lived in my neighborhood back when we were both in New Mexico. He always ran trick plays at the beginning of the year because (a) it gave his players some "fun time" in the preseason workouts and (b) it meant every team they played for the rest of the year would have to take time during the week to learn to defend against that play. It's (b) that was his real motivation. Run a bunch of stuff early in the season at points in the game where it doesn't matter, just to make it more difficult for teams to prep their defense. Actually, he also did the same on D, throwing a lot of strange blitzes and coverage schemes in the mix.

I remember watching that live and to this day cannot believe how much he looked like a rag doll getting tackled

Mason was a boss at trick plays. Too bad most of them were against teams like Toledo.

Wish we would run that reverse flip pitch that Northwestern used to run, they would have the QB do a forward pitch to the RB and then the RB would just flip it back to the crossing Scatback or fastest wide receiver almost like the jet sweep but with reverse direction off the second flip. Always seemed to be a really effective play for the Cat's wish the Gophers could master it. Find the smallest fastest dude that can get to the edge and be kind of invisible behind the line and then run that play. They used to be successful faking the reverse action off of it and just having the back run up the middle also. Kind of like the inside double reverse handoff from the old single wing days except instead of handing it there were two pitches and the second one to the counter action always seemed to work really well. Northwestern ran it with the old coach and Fitzgerald still breaks that one out of the dustbin every once in awhile.

Well, how about this:

line up in Wildcat.

Green throws a backwards pass to Annexstad at wide-out. Annexstad throws ball downfield to open receiver.

(note - if there is no open receiver, this play does not work.......)

Top Bottom