Shama: Gopher Football Ticket Sales Decline; down 2,572 from last year, no Fleck bump

Better TV, and better DVR capabilities is affecting all sports.

Why pay so much money and spend 5 hours going in person when you can go do numerous other things and swing back home and re-watch the game later.

The need to watch content live has diminished.

2013: 33284 season tickets sold. Gophers host Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin (very attractive schedule) and finish 8-5, losing in the Texas Bowl. Optimism is starting to creep up for Kill.
2014: 33385 season tickets sold. Gophers host Iowa and Ohio State. Team contends for Big Ten West and makes NYD Bowl. Ticket increase is announced towards end of season.
2015: 27885 season tickets sold. 1st year of increase. Kill suffers mid-season health issues and leaves the team. Gophers finish a disappointing 6-7. Claeys is signed to extension.
2016: 22706 season tickets sold. 2nd year of increase. Announcement that 3rd year of increase is suspended. Gophers finish 9-4. Claeys fired. Fleck hired.
2017: 22990 season tickets sold. Gophers finish 5-7.
2018: 21682 season tickets sold. Only marquee game is Iowa. Gophers finish ??????

You'd have to be a fool to look at these stats and not realize that the ticket increase is directly responsible for the plunge in attendance. After our best season in decades, we lost 5500 season tickets overnight due to phase 1.

The people in charge during the ticket increase didn't understand anything correctly. Just so far off with their understanding of the program and the fans.

When I was younger, it was generally understood that the main incentive to purchase season tickets was that you got a financial break - in that buying season tickets was less expensive than purchasing the same seats on a per-game basis.

Then along comes 'seat donations' and 'contributions' and lo and behold - purchasing season tickets is actually more expensive than buying the same or equivalent seats on a per-game basis.

Other than the true believers who see their purchase as a contribution to the University, and supporting its programs, I can see no real incentive to purchase season tickets. It's not like you won't be able to get a ticket to any game you want - because we all can see there are seats available for every game.

the entire business model seems backwards. It almost seems intended to drive people into purchasing single-game tickets, scalping, or buying through the secondary markets. but what do I know?

When I was younger, it was generally understood that the main incentive to purchase season tickets was that you got a financial break - in that buying season tickets was less expensive than purchasing the same seats on a per-game basis.

Then along comes 'seat donations' and 'contributions' and lo and behold - purchasing season tickets is actually more expensive than buying the same or equivalent seats on a per-game basis.

Other than the true believers who see their purchase as a contribution to the University, and supporting its programs, I can see no real incentive to purchase season tickets. It's not like you won't be able to get a ticket to any game you want - because we all can see there are seats available for every game.

the entire business model seems backwards. It almost seems intended to drive people into purchasing single-game tickets, scalping, or buying through the secondary markets. but what do I know?

NAILED IT!

Season tickets cost too much and the Gophers aren't winning. Also, single game tickets are ridiculously overpriced. Good seats are priced at $100 to $200 or more. Who is going to pay $1000 to bring a spouse and, say, two children? Add to that the Twin Cities sports entertainment scene is glutted with pro teams whose seasons overlap with the Gophers.

By my quick count, the football Gophers have posted a winning record 19 times in the last 50 years. For someone born at the end of the baby boom, like me, that's my lifetime.

Point is, the product has never (literally never, in my lifetime) been that consistently good to make it a consistently hot ticket.

Only seven times in the last 50 years has the team posted three or more wins than losses (like 7-4 or 8-5 or better).

The price increases were a huge bet on future success. And to be fair, the program was apparently trending upward: two of those seven seasons were in 2013 and '14, the third and fourth seasons of Kill's tenure. And, of course, the program was strong enough to go 9-4 after the abrupt coaching change to Claeys. (No disparagement intended. I liked TC.)

But as DarrenTheGreek's numbers show, sales plummeted 20% the year after making it to a NYD bowl game and cracking The AP Top 25 for the first time in six years. The next year, sales dropped another 20%. Two years of price increases wiped out a third of season ticket holders. Which means the program likely actually experienced REDUCED revenue after the price hikes ... and certainly took big losses on the food and beverage side, as well.

It's obvious the program had not carved out enough of a niche to warrant those increases.

Ticket sales will never gain traction at these prices without prolonged and considerable success. Not just back-to-back solid seasons, or three out of four years. You can say that with certainty, because that just happened. No, I think something a lot closer to a decade of sustained success may be necessary. Until then, the U should do an about-face on ticket prices. Simply put, do what it takes to fill the place. Because an empty seat benefits no one.

Fill the place up. Improve the experience. Do that, and when the program finally starts to catch fire, it will turn into a blaze.

Otherwise, you're back to simply hoping the next generation of Minnesota football fans somehow discover Gopher football. Which worked out so well for the last two generations.

JTG

there is no answer to the decline for just about every program in the country. Even in the SEC, they have these problems too. MLB and the NFL as well. I literately cannot give my extra tix away. Have 8 (down from 12) tix n my group and for the last two years, eat 1 or two every single game from my 4. My kids who went to every game from infants through college no longer are able or not interested. It is sad. For the most part, weather is not a real factor unless it is raining or absurdly cold like below 20 for most. As revenue falls, creativity needs to be employed. Not sure what that would be. Winning is only part of the pull these days.
WIN baby WIN, that's the only solution.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

This is a very good take. I find myself in the "true believers who see their purchase as a contribution to the University, and supporting its programs" group, knowing I'm paying more than I need to for tickets, especially when I normally can't make a couple of home games due to kids sports activities.

I have consistently had friends dropping season tickets almost annually, and during the Iowa game I got a text from one of my buddies who said this is his last year, as he was increasingly frustrated with the atmosphere, product and prices.

I don't think I'll ever drop due to the reasons above, but the entire situation is frustrating.

Go Gophers!!

I gave up my seatbacks when Kill left, but came back this year with cheap bench seats with my son. Friends of ours have them up after 30+ years, said they have been patient long enough. As with any coach I have tried to remain patient and give him his due time, maybe 4 yrs.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

I don't know though a lot more goes into a gameday experience than the game itself. Its easy for me to say because I live in Fargo with a wife and 3 kids so I only get to a game or two a year with my dad (season ticket holder). However, when I get to those games I have a great time win or loss.

I'm sure for some people it gets boring and becomes a chore to tailgate etc. and the gameday atmosphere loses its vibe.

I only gave mine up due to my friend I went with moving and couldn't find anyone else willing to buy

I'll attend 3 home games and 2 road games still

if my friend moves back and is willing, will sign back up. For years we were in no donation section which was fine (During viking years the viking fans got seat cushions, that was nice). Last year we upgraded and paid 100 donation to get to seat backs, we regretted not doing that sooner

I love it. Frustrating at times always losing

I've stormed field 2-3x now, and I enjoy being able to say, I was there

This is our last year of season tickets after many years unless prices were to be greatly reduced. Product on the field is not worth the cost and the hope and goodwill that was built during the Kill era is gone. Probably will go to the three game “pick a pack” like most of our friends have.Ifwe become consistently competitive again someday we may re-evaluate, but that may be a while.

One of the main problems is the development of the secondary ticket market. It greatly impacts the price of single game tickets and the fans are the ones that lose in the end. Schools and pro teams got sick of the fans selling their $40 tickets for $80. So what did they do, they just made the single game tickets, especially against premier opponents $80 or more. While they were trying to get more money out of visiting fans, they have also discouraged the home fans from going to the games because the tickets on a game day are so much more expensive. With little demand, this is a losing proposition becasue people will simply buy tickets on the street and get in for much less than $80-$100. They should create demand by selling single game tickets for less and have people actually want them as oppossed to worrying about the secondary market or making as much as they can off of other fan bases.

With what the U brings in from the Big Ten Network compared to what they make from ticket prices they should drop the price of all tickets in half if they are worried about ticket sales or butts in seats.

Yep and well said.

Would only add that it becomes very self-serving and irritating when people who make a reasoned decision not to buy tickets, for those very reasons, bitch and moan about how few people are in the seats! The most farcical complaint being how small crowds "don't look good on TV."

Really?

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Prexy b...macturi...Brewster...TCF BANK STADIUM...prexy k...the new Norwood...mandated donations...Kill...Ill Kill...TC & the STAFFERS...coyle...coyle fires, buys out TC & STAFFERS after 9-4 season...coyle hires Fleck for 3.5 million (1.75 per Big Ten win in year zero)...Vikings improve...FBS Stadium...Fleck( year zero...row the ski-u-mah...culture club)...Big Ten wins go from 5 to 2 in one season...What will Big Ten win total be in 2018? Season Ticket sales continue to plunge. And that is the story of Golden Gopher Big Ten Football in the TCF BANK STADIUM era.

Time. Big Ten wins vs. losses. Season ticket sales numbers will all tell. Better hope Big Ten TV Revenue does not start to decline. Fleck has coyle between a rock and a hard place. Fleck will be here as long as coyle hangs on regardless of anything barring "cause..." However IF Fleck has a good Big Ten winning season...he most likely will jump ship for greener pastures and more money.

The end of long time season ticket holders era for many.

Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER...

PS:

The stadium looks GREAT regardless of the number of people who show up for games. It is a beautiful stadium. It looks pretty cool to see the nice seats in that stadium full...empty or somewhere in between. When I see empty seats in TCF BANK STADIUM it always reminds me of prexy b...badger joel macturi...the new Norwood...prexy k...coyle and what a long, strange trip the new stadium era has been.

Last edited:

With what the U brings in from the Big Ten Network compared to what they make from ticket prices they should drop the price of all tickets in half if they are worried about ticket sales or butts in seats.

Unfortunately, they're not the least bit worried about butts in the seats. Their bean counters do the math and figure out what makes the most money for the upcoming quarter. Higher prices and fewer fans are fine if it means making more money. Reducing prices to build a fan base, which might take more than one season and cost them a few bucks, is not on their radar.

I dropped my season tickets last year. I have gone to all the games so far this year and at a cost of 9 Red Baron pizzas (thats 6 tickets- took the kid to some games) and $15. I do not think ticket demand will be high for Indiana, Purdue, and Northwestern (Thank You, Red Baron Pizza- 2 tickets for that one too). The U needs to pull it's head out of it's a**. I would happily get season tickets again if demand and product on the field ever warranted it.

The only Fleck bump would have been with a winning first year. People really don't care who the coach is, they just want a winning team and reasonable prices.

After holding for 12 years, I dropped mine a few years ago due to the 'donation', and here's what's happened:

I told myself, "I can get single game tickets WAY cheaper, I'll do that."

Season +1: went to a couple games.

Season +2: went to NO games.

Season +3: Have actually thought to myself, "Thank god I don't feel obligated to go to any of these crappy Gopher games anymore."

My interest is now a fraction of what it was five years ago, and frankly I'm 100% OK with that. It's check Gopherhole once a week, look at Gamecast online on Saturday, and ...do other Saturday stuff that is way more engaging. Go ahead and say you don't need fans like me, because as more or less a 'former fan', I couldn't care less. It just ain't important to me anymore.

The problem here is twofold:

1) the donation policy was moronic, because I suspect there are a lot of people like me who will slowly lose interest and whom the U will never get back, not even for single games unless the team is really good all of a sudden.

2) relying on TV ratings/revenue is fine short-term, but I think they are killing the goose that lays the golden egg by relying on it. I don't watch games on TV anymore. I don't even talk Gopher football at work anymore. Gopher football just isn't really a 'thing' for me as I've gotten more distance from it. I suspect millennials will accelerate that trend greatly (see student attendance). I predict TV ratings/revenue to slide as well going forward...

After holding for 12 years, I dropped mine a few years ago due to the 'donation', and here's what's happened:

I told myself, "I can get single game tickets WAY cheaper, I'll do that."

Season +1: went to a couple games.

Season +2: went to NO games.

Season +3: Have actually thought to myself, "Thank god I don't feel obligated to go to any of these crappy Gopher games anymore."

My interest is now a fraction of what it was five years ago, and frankly I'm 100% OK with that. It's check Gopherhole once a week, look at Gamecast online on Saturday, and ...do other Saturday stuff that is way more engaging. Go ahead and say you don't need fans like me, because as more or less a 'former fan', I couldn't care less. It just ain't important to me anymore.

The problem here is twofold:

1) the donation policy was moronic, because I suspect there are a lot of people like me who will slowly lose interest and whom the U will never get back, not even for single games unless the team is really good all of a sudden.

2) relying on TV ratings/revenue is fine short-term, but I think they are killing the goose that lays the golden egg by relying on it. I don't watch games on TV anymore. I don't even talk Gopher football at work anymore. Gopher football just isn't really a 'thing' for me as I've gotten more distance from it. I suspect millennials will accelerate that trend greatly (see student attendance). I predict TV ratings/revenue to slide as well going forward...

Your Season 1/2/3 scenarios are my biggest worry.

Most people I know that have canceled tickets for one reason or another have the same pattern...they say they'll get tickets to most of the games (it ends up being half that), the next year they say they'll go to the best games (they maybe get to 1-2) and by year 3 they are a casual fan at best. I only have one friend who was a season ticket holder that has maintained buying tickets to every game.

And once you lose a season ticket holder, it's very hard to get them back and their interest in the program lessens for sure.

Go Gophers!!

Along these lines, I tried to do some (fast) research into ticket prices... Admittedly, some universities are better than others regarding ticket prices and donation prices... Would love for someone to challenge any of these numbers so we can have a more accurate picture. Based on my research, corner endzone prices here are 5th highest in the Big Ten.

TeamPrice at LL<BR>Goal LinePrice at LL<BR>20 yard linePrice at LL<BR>35 yard linePrice at LL<BR>50 yard line
Minnesota4806309301130
Wisconsin478578678778
Iowa4606108101010
Northwestern185230315355
Purdue224299430430
Illinois159198274379
Nebraska1399189921492899
Michigan64093010601060
Michigan State443643743943
Maryland457.50620845845
Indiana343343343343
Ohio State681681681831
Penn State52082010201020
Rutgers400535635735

I love watching the Gophers, believe in Fleck's ability to turn this around, love the stadium and enjoy my seats, but the price, while less than a Vikings game, seems excessive. Have thought about dropping from 4 seats to 2 as my kids have grown up and moved away. For me, the better pricing model for our program is similar to Rutgers or Wisconsin rather than the Penn State/Michigan model. I know others would suggest based on our success we should be closer to the Purdue/Indiana model. FWIW, I have a hard time believing my Nebraska numbers are accurate (same with Illinois and Northwestern on the cheap end).

Interesting numbers. We play like Illinois and Purdue and pay like Penn St. and Michigan.
My wife is right. I am dumb. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mraveling, thanks for that chart.

Somebody at the AD's office has some splainin' to do.

Our prices surpass Wisconsin, even though we've had zero success, comparatively speaking. What a crock.

The administration isn't going to eradicate my interest in Gopher football. But they are going to keep me from spending any money on tickets. I've been only taking in one game a year for the last several years, even though I'd prefer to be a season ticket holder. Now I feel foolish for even attending one game a year.

Earlier I said we need to slash prices at least 40%. Looks like that's about right.

JTG

Interesting numbers. We play like Illinois and Purdue and pay like Penn St. and Michigan.
My wife is right. I am dumb. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We should be in the bottom 4 or 5 for ticket prices for sure. That chart is mind boggling.

Along these lines, I tried to do some (fast) research into ticket prices... Admittedly, some universities are better than others regarding ticket prices and donation prices... Would love for someone to challenge any of these numbers so we can have a more accurate picture. Based on my research, corner endzone prices here are 5th highest in the Big Ten.

TeamPrice at LL<BR>Goal LinePrice at LL<BR>20 yard linePrice at LL<BR>35 yard linePrice at LL<BR>50 yard line
Minnesota4806309301130
Wisconsin478578678778
Iowa4606108101010
Northwestern185230315355
Purdue224299430430
Illinois159198274379
Nebraska1399189921492899
Michigan64093010601060
Michigan State443643743943
Maryland457.50620845845
Indiana343343343343
Ohio State681681681831
Penn State52082010201020
Rutgers400535635735

I love watching the Gophers, believe in Fleck's ability to turn this around, love the stadium and enjoy my seats, but the price, while less than a Vikings game, seems excessive. Have thought about dropping from 4 seats to 2 as my kids have grown up and moved away. For me, the better pricing model for our program is similar to Rutgers or Wisconsin rather than the Penn State/Michigan model. I know others would suggest based on our success we should be closer to the Purdue/Indiana model. FWIW, I have a hard time believing my Nebraska numbers are accurate (same with Illinois and Northwestern on the cheap end).

That is a shocker. My donation costs more than my tickets - and I could be paying less at Madison if I was a Badger fan! Contrast Wisconsin since the 90s with Minnesota. They should drop the donations (or at least one of them), but I bet they won't and next year there will be even fewer season ticket holders.

the new Norwood...mandated donations...Kill...Ill Kill..

Geez, Walrus. I saw the "Ill Kill" line, and I can't stop laughing. brevity is truly the soul of wit.

Top Bottom