Gophers posted an upset victory in Columbus 18 years ago this week.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I was at that game in Columbus

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

This was before 911 so I had a Gopher M flag on a pole that I was able to waive at the Game. Brutus the Buckey squired me in the face with a Supersoaker gun when I was waving the flag after a Gopher touchdown. We were next to the Ohio State band and they gave me the business after I yelled at Brutus the mascot.
One of two trips to the horseshoe, but this was the first. We rode up and down Hyde street with a Gopher flag hanging out the window. Got a lot fingers, F you's, and even a couple beer cans tossed at us after the game because we spoiled homecoming. Ron Johnson had a great day catching the football and Travis Cole threw the ball really well that day. Buckeyes fans were already hating on John Cooper so much they wanted him tossed at halftime.
There was actually a guy sitting in the second row in front of us Buckeyes fan that was there in the 1950's the last time the Gophers had beaten Ohio State in Columbus. I would recommend the trip to Columbus it is one of the meccas of College football and truly a great game day atmosphere.

Gophers have beaten Ohio State exactly 7 times in the history of Gopher football.

I was there as well. Ron Johnson absolutely torched Nate Clements all game long. I also remember some very angry fans after the game.

I will never forget at the homecoming parade earlier in the day, an Ohio State fan asked me, straight faced "what conference are you guys in?"

Driving home that night through the night, I remember all the talk on the all-night sports radio: big wins by upstarts Oklahoma winning on the road at Kansas State (and won national title), Oregon State (ended up blasting Notre Dame in Fiesta Bowl) & Minnesota (getting edged by NC State in the Micron PC Bowl). All came crashing down the next week when I was in Bloomington to watch Antwaan Randle-El account for approximately 1,354 total yards, give or take a few......

I never saw this game live and I don't think it's ever been replayed to my knowledge. Where can I find this game, rather than '96 Purdue, or '94 Illinois?

It was an upset. But it was not, in the end, a very good Ohio St team. They were at a low and we caught them at the right time. Not making excuses or anything. I've been watching 40+ years and I'm VERY happy to have that win in my memory banks.

Last edited:

That is a great 15 minutes.

3 thoughts:
1. We forget how good Ron Johnson was. He was amazing,
2.Same for Tellis Redmon
3. That was not a lucky win.

Only Glen Mason could beat Ohio State on the road and lose to Ohio at home in the same year

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That play where Thomas Tapeh absolutely destroyed #25 OSU safety. Early game changer.

This was before 911 so I had a Gopher M flag on a pole that I was able to waive at the Game. Brutus the Buckey squired me in the face with a Supersoaker gun when I was waving the flag after a Gopher touchdown. We were next to the Ohio State band and they gave me the business after I yelled at Brutus the mascot.
One of two trips to the horseshoe, but this was the first. We rode up and down Hyde street with a Gopher flag hanging out the window. Got a lot fingers, F you's, and even a couple beer cans tossed at us after the game because we spoiled homecoming. Ron Johnson had a great day catching the football and Travis Cole threw the ball really well that day. Buckeyes fans were already hating on John Cooper so much they wanted him tossed at halftime.
There was actually a guy sitting in the second row in front of us Buckeyes fan that was there in the 1950's the last time the Gophers had beaten Ohio State in Columbus. I would recommend the trip to Columbus it is one of the meccas of College football and truly a great game day atmosphere.

Gophers have beaten Ohio State exactly 7 times in the history of Gopher football.

I and my son attended this game also. Sat with the Minnesota contingent. There was a gentlemen there that played on the Gopher team that beat OSU back in 1950 and he signed our program (can't remember the name off hand and am not home to dig the program out). Some of the younger fans were d$cks after the game but a number of older guys actually said things like "Nice game" etc. Been to a couple others there--Great Atmosphere and tailgating.

Just watched a replay of this game last night and was really impressed with how well the d line played. Their QB was running for his life all game it seemed.

Somewhere, I think I still have the front page of the Strib sports section from the day after winning in Cbus: "U smells roses"

All came crashing down the next week when I was in Bloomington to watch Antwaan Randle-El account for approximately 1,354 total yards, give or take a few......

This was my junior year at the U, and a group of us had a long-planned road trip to Winnipeg (for those of us still under 21 to go drinking) scheduled for that weekend. After the tOSU victory, we gave a lot of thought to scrapping Canada and going to Bloomington, since the Gophers were suddenly in the drivers' seat in the Big Ten race. Ultimately we stuck with the plan and went to the 'Peg -- I want to say the game was on ESPN2 (it seemed like every Indiana game was on ESPN2 during the Randle-El years), but that couldn't be found north of the border, so we were reduced to watching the ticker on CNN Headline News. Every time the Minnesota game came across, the score had changed. Of course, we ended up being happy with our choice since Randle-El went bonkers.

Top Bottom