STrib: Big Ten hoops media poll ranks Gophers ninth, no Jordan Murphy on all-league

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

UNOFFICIAL BIG TEN MEDIA PRESEASON POLL AND PLAYER AWARDS

1. Michigan State

2. Michigan

3. Indiana

4. Nebraska

5. Purdue

6. Wisconsin

7. Maryland

8. Ohio State

9. Minnesota

10. Iowa

11. Penn State

12. Northwestern

13. Illinois

14. Rutgers

Big Ten POY: Carsen Edwards

Big Ten freshman of the year: Romeo Langford

All-conference team: Carsen Edwards, Ethan Happ, James Palmer Jr., Cassius Winston, Juwan Morgan

http://www.startribune.com/big-ten-...nth-no-jordan-murphy-on-all-league/496594351/

Go Gophers!!

Ha! Gophers can make these losers look like fools!

Katz chimes in on the media poll:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

He may be correct but he's still a Badger homer and just slightly better than Medcalf. I believe we should be closer to 6, not as low as 9.

Never poke a sleeping Gopher! Murphy is going to make some noise this year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bulletin board material! I hope Pitino shows the team this preseason poll...

Win and the rest takes care of itself like it did two years ago.

That's just the top 5 players who are all on the predicted top 6 teams.
I like their list and hope it gives Murphy extra motivation.

Medcalf has us at #7.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24933783/undefined

In tiers most have:
Michigan St., Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, and Nebraska.

We are in this next tier:
Minnesota, Wisconsin, Maryland, Ohio St.

next tier:
Iowa, Penn St., Northw,

last tier:
Illin and Rutgers.

Had we gotten Crandall I would put Mn in the top 5. PG is the most important position in college basketball and we all hope Washington can mentally become that. But the backup situation is not great either.

The Purdue love is baffling. They lost 4 starters. Who do they have that's much good besides Edwards, Harms, and the ivy league transfer? Makes no sense.
Also, Nebraska has everyone back from a 14-4 team, yet they're 2nd tier?

Last edited:

He may be correct but he's still a Badger homer and just slightly better than Medcalf. I believe we should be closer to 6, not as low as 9.

Yes he's a Badger, but he's not even close to Myron. Myron is a talentless d-bag cheap shot troll, Andy Katz is fair and a hard worker.

Per the U of MN press release:

ROSEMONT, Ill. - One year after leading the nation in double-doubles and the conference in rebounds, Minnesota senior Jordan Murphy earned a spot on the Preseason All-Big Ten team, announced Thursday at the conference media day outside Chicago. The selections were made based on media voting from across the Big Ten footprint.

Murphy, who has earned conference accolades after each of his three seasons to date, was one of 10 selections on the team. The 6-7 forward was joined by Indiana’s Romeo Langford and Juwan Morgan, Maryland’s Anthony Cowan Jr., Michigan’s Charles Matthews, Michigan State’s Nick Ward and Cassius Winston, Nebraska’s James Palmer Jr., Purdue’s Carsen Edwards and Wisconsin’s Ethan Happ. Edwards was selected as the league’s Preseason Player of the Year.

A second-team All-Big Ten selection last spring, Murphy set a new single-season school record and led the nation with 24 double-doubles, while also posting a new school record with 361 rebounds, tops among Big Ten players. He ranked seventh in the conference scoring 16.8 points per game, reaching double figures in all but one, and was the team’s leader with 32 steals and second-leading shot blocker with 32. He nabbed three Big Ten Player of the Week awards, just the second Gopher to ever do so.

The San Antonio, Texas native was an All-Big Ten Third Team selection following his sophomore season and earned All-Freshman Team honors in 2016.

Murphy represented the Gophers at Big Ten Media Day Thursday along with head coach Richard Pitino and fellow senior Dupree McBrayer.

This

When you return a all bigten PG who can dominate, score and pass, you don't need much else. Boudeaux and Harms will probably put up 10-12 pts per game, add in Carson's 20, that's 40. They can throw in a bunch of role players and be fine. Plus Painter is a top coach.

I think Indiana has the most volatile expectations. No top pg, SG Langford will be great, but will people rally around him or not.

Indiana has the best talent. We will see if that means they have the best team. I see no reason why UW will not vie for the title - they were able to play up enough to challenge MSU last year, add their injured guards back and MSU lost 2 first round picks. At no point does the equation appear to favor MSU over UW in my mind. Groupthink and blind trust in Izzo is why they are picked #1.

Top Bottom