CBS: Roy Williams says he is 'dumbfounded' by college basketball corruption

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Testimony from those involved in the DOJ's first of three trials seeking to nix it altogether has brought to light information about how agents, shoe companies, runners and coaches have been working in the shadows to compensate players and their families beginning at the grassroots level.

The revelations have mostly been new as far as the gritty details of how the sausage is made, but the sausage itself isn't. Corruption has played at least some role in the sport for years. And still, the aspects of the case have been gruesome enough to leave UNC Hall of Fame coach Roy Williams "dumbfounded."

"It's a massive thing that's still going on, and I'm just dumbfounded," he said on Tuesday. "I had somebody criticize me and say 'you shouldn't be dumbfounded.' Well, excuse me, I have my right to have my own feelings. That world that they're explaining out there I'm not familiar with. Period. In 30 years as a head coach I have never had anyone ask me for money. I have never asked any shoe company to recruit for me. I have never asked anyone other than the family what is most important to you.

"So that world, people act like it goes on all the time, it does not go on all the time. It is a world I'm not familiar with."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...dumbfounded-by-college-basketball-corruption/

Go Gophers!!

Dad, gum, golly gee, if he clicks his heels and says it 3 times Aw Shucks Roy believes it to be true!

Of course not, he is so pure that he would only allow his players to take meaningless classes that cheat the system, the integrity of the University and those players out of an education!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fox astonished that local hen house continues to be raided.

Boohoohoo. Crocodile tears.

Captain Renault: I'm shocked! Shocked to find that gambling is going on in here.

[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]

Croupier: Your winnings, sir.

Captain Renault: I'm shocked! Shocked to find that gambling is going on in here.

[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]

Croupier: Your winnings, sir.

Perhaps the NCAA will now “Round up the usual suspects “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s entirely possible that Roy doesn’t know what’s going on below him. It’s also entirely possible he just doesn’t wanna know and he’s able to get recruits because others want him to. Both would be egregious for a head coach at a blue blood, and grounds for plausible deniability and completely sad at the same time.

Last edited:

It’s entirely possible that Roy doesn’t know what’s going on below him. It’s also entirely possible he just doesn’t wanna know and he’s able to get recruits because others want him to. Both would be egregious for a head coach at a blue blood, and grounds for plausible deniability and completely sad at the same time.

I claim BS. As the leader of an organization you are responsible for everything, repeat Everything, that goes on in your program. A college BB program has only about 20-30 people, a simple task compared to a FB program or many other organizations. If he isn’t aware, then he is being lazy or is derelict of his duties.

I claim BS. As the leader of an organization you are responsible for everything, repeat Everything, that goes on in your program. A college BB program has only about 20-30 people, a simple task compared to a FB program or many other organizations. If he isn’t aware, then he is being lazy or is derelict of his duties.

Let's see how many coaches get hit with that. I don't disagree with you, I said it was sad that it's even a possible defense. But for some reason, America views sports and blue blood basketball coaches to a much lower standard than say the first shift supervisor.

Top Bottom