Ohio State: 5 things I'd like to see from Buckeyes vs. Golden Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Tomlin:

For Ohio State to keep up that dominance over Minnesota, here are 5 things I’d like to see from the Buckeyes against the Golden Gophers:

More Campbell
No, not more cowbell. More Campbell, as in Ohio State receiver Parris Campbell. The Buckeyes have a lot of explosive weapons on offense but to me the most fun one to watch is Campbell. The 6-foot-1, 208-pound senior is already close to his career high for most receiving yards in a season. He has 501, just 83 fewer than all of last season. And the more he gets the ball, the more he creates havoc for opposing teams in open space.

Watch for Tyler Johnson
Minnesota’s star receiver is second in the B1G in touchdown receptions, behind only OSU’s Campbell and tied with the Buckeyes’ Terry McLaurin. Johnson is also fourth in the league in receiving yards (402) and sixth in catches (28). He’s the weapon that Ohio State has to watch for the most on Minnesota’s offense.

Block Carter Coughlin
The Golden Gophers’ junior pass rusher has five sacks this season. That’s atop the Big Ten along with Iowa’s Anthony Nelson and Coughlin’s average of 1.0 sacks per game is tied for 10th in the Football Bowl Subdivision. Minnesota only has eight sacks as a team, so if the Buckeyes can stop Coughlin they will give Dwayne Haskins plenty of time to do some damage in the passing game. Coughlin has the Golden Gophers in his blood: His father, grandfather and an uncle played football at Minnesota and his mother was an excellent tennis player there.

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/ohio-state-5-things-like-to-see-vs-minnesota/

Go Gophers!!

I don't have illusions about winning this game (although I will always hope to be surprised with a historic upset). For me, I'd like to see a competitive game where the Gophers are close at half and hang in there before falling something like 35-21. Unfortunately this one has the look of a game that will not be that close. Lots of young players getting major playing time in critical roles. Keep growing. Keep getting better. Let's not have an embarrassing one along the way.

I agree with the Ohio State assessment above. It would be nice to see someone other than Coughlin get QB pressure and although Johnson is clearly worthy of defensive attention, I'd argue his fellow receivers have grown to the point where they can be very productive too. The question is, will our QB have enough time for the great WR play to make a difference?

Top Bottom