Quintez Cephus sues UW, says disciplinary investigation violating his rights

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
"Defendants have knowingly and intentionally forced (Cephus) into the predicament of having to either waive his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination by choosing to participate in the university process despite the potential harm to his criminal defense," the lawsuit states, "or decline to participate in the university's process thus leading to the inevitable finding of responsibility and severe sanctions."

https://madison.com/news/local/cour...febcbdbc-1135-5882-ae8c-2dc83cf97e2a.amp.html

I don't know what the legal outcome will be, but I'd say based on that argument... that the dude has an argument here. You can't put him in a catch 22 and say he has to talk to the University and put himself at criminal risk... or they're just gonna judge him anyway... at least it doesn't seem fair.

Cephus will win. Good for him. The universities need to be beaten into submission.

Also, a California judge said the NCAA's show-cause rule is against California law. Good for California. There is no doubt that show-cause is a restraint on labor.

Burn down the NCAA.

Cephus will win. Good for him. The universities need to be beaten into submission.

Also, a California judge said the NCAA's show-cause rule is against California law. Good for California. There is no doubt that show-cause is a restraint on labor.

Burn down the NCAA.

Hear, hear! Let's go back to the days where the boys could go out raping without any consequences!

We needs Cruze to jump in here and tell us that anyone who feels that the accused should receive a fair investigation and hearing process is pro-rape.

Hear, hear! Let's go back to the days where the boys could go out raping without any consequences!

Generally, one has to have at least a preponderance of evidence that rape occurred. Based on published stats even at MN a significant double digit percentage of the cases end up in the defendants favor as presumably electronic or eyewitness evidence comes out in favor of a consensual encounter.

Based on published stats even at MN a significant double digit percentage of the cases end up in the defendants favor as presumably electronic or eyewitness evidence comes out in favor of a consensual encounter.

Link?

It’s been posted here twice. Look it up, you seem really educated on this stuff...

We needs Cruze to jump in here and tell us that anyone who feels that the accused should receive a fair investigation and hearing process is pro-rape.

Never said it. I believe every accused person should receive a fair investigation and hearing process and that is exactly what they get from the U. And, unlike many posters in GopherHole, I particularly believe this about criminal defendants who have been charged with crimes. The available evidence shows that the U's student disciplinary process is among the fairest in the country. It is not at all surprising you don't know that.

Review finds Univ. of Minnesota complied with law, policy during Gophers football suspensions
http://www.fox9.com/news/report-u-of-m-complied-with-law-policy-during-football-sexual-assault-case

Last edited:

Never said it. I believe every accused person should receive a fair investigation and hearing process and that is exactly what they get from the U. And, unlike many posters in GopherHole, I particularly believe this about criminal defendants who have been charged with crimes. The available evidence shows that the U's student disciplinary process is among the fairest in the country. It is not at all surprising you don't know that.

Review finds Univ. of Minnesota complied with law, policy during Gophers football suspensions
http://www.fox9.com/news/report-u-of-m-complied-with-law-policy-during-football-sexual-assault-case

Just a hint. If you hired Dorsey and Whitney to write a report that Cruze is a brilliant poster and sexual assault mind, they would.

Ooops...you missed a spot.

There is another thread about how Andy Greder left the badgers off his top 25.

Hurry over there before it falls off the first page.

The issue for many people is that they don't think the laws and policies are fair, not that they aren't being followed.

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!

In 2017 35.4 percent of student complaints did not meet the low preponderance of evidence standard.

https://diversity.umn.edu/eoaa/sites/diversity.umn.edu.eoaa/files/EOAA FY17 Annual Report.pdf

Now it’s your turn - link the source data for the (incorrect) assertion by activists only 2% of accusations are false or otherwise faulty (the legal definition of sexual assault is different from the U), or the result of affirmative consent issues (it didn’t meet expectations..so it’s assault - see Aziz Ansari case and the generational debate over that).

Complied with policy. Getting sued. Seems not everyone agrees that it was so fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The U of W has a legal obligation to investigate this case regardless of any simultaneous criminal investigation. The accused can choose to not participate. The accused may even win without participating. Frankly, if he's innocent, why would he have anything to risk by participating?

Being enrolled in a university is a privilege, not a right. Same with being on a football team.

The U of W has a legal obligation to investigate this case regardless of any simultaneous criminal investigation. The accused can choose to not participate. The accused may even win without participating. Frankly, if he's innocent, why would he have anything to risk by participating?

Being enrolled in a university is a privilege, not a right. Same with being on a football team.

Considering that any lawyer would tell you not to participate pending a criminal case... there clearly is a legal risk.

Because any statement he makes can be used in a criminal trial, regardless of context. Even if he is somehow found not responsible in the faux civil case, any statement made there could be plucked and used against him, even if it is just showing an inconsistency with his story.

These catch 22 situations are not new. In a lot of criminal assault/domestic abuse cases, there is a separate civil action for an Order for Protection or Harassment Restraining Order. The civil cases move at a MUCH faster pace, so testimony in these cases is almost always going to happen before the criminal trial is complete.

The referees and judges that I've worked with have all taken special care to remind unrepresented parties that any testimony they give in the civil setting is not exempt from the criminal case. This leads to a lot of "Not Admitting Guilt But Accepting the Terms of the Order" compromises

Top Bottom