Andy Greder leaves Badgers off AP ballot.

SSWWMAS

Reaction score
Andy Greder left Wisconsin completely off his top-25 ballot, which OK, maybe there’s an argument to be made there even though every other voter ranked the Badgers, with the lowest coming in at No. 20.

But Greder had Iowa — the team that lost to Wisconsin at home two weeks ago, has the same record as the Badgers and just beat *checks notes* Minnesota — ranked No. 24. Greder also has 3-2 TCU ranked No. 21 (his rankings from 15-25 are Miami, Auburn, Oregon, Texas A&M, NC State, Colorado, TCU, Kentucky, South Florida, Iowa and Cincinnati).

https://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin...gers-off-ballot-iowa-hawkeyes-100918?amp=true

Oh the horror! If we were talking CFP then you have an argument, but not this. Plus if it wasn't for that fluke punt touch Iowa wins.

I wish more voters did this. Seems that if a team wins they stay the same or move up in the polls. I think they need to drop if they squeak out a win against a weak opponent or if they lose. the polls should be chaotic in Sept, big ups and downs, but they just have the same 30 teams or so rotated thru. Wisc has a real bad loss at home. IA lost to a good Wisc team.

Horrible loss and fluky win at Iowa. They are really, really lucky to not have 2 losses. Surely they’ve used up their 9 lives by now.

Quality statement by a voter that -gasp- watches the games. Greder is moving up on my respect scale.

No one mentioned he works for the St. Paul Pioneer Press. You Gopher fans know but anyone that is not a Minnesota fan wouldn't! It really reflects poorly on him personally I think. Having a bias as a fan is fine, in fact it could be a requirement. Not so much for a journalist. After the Badgers beat Michigan Sat. It won't matter.

No one mentioned he works for the St. Paul Pioneer Press. You Gopher fans know but anyone that is not a Minnesota fan wouldn't! It really reflects poorly on him personally I think. Having a bias as a fan is fine, in fact it could be a requirement. Not so much for a journalist. After the Badgers LOSE TO Michigan Sat. It won't matter.

In the end, it doesn't matter one way or the other anyway, does it? Is that one vote enough to reasonably affect their ranking? Will this week's ranking have any significant influence on the final ranking? I think the answer to both is no.

Before I say it's bias, I'd like to hear his reasoning. As a member of the media, I agree his vote should be based on legitimate opinion. Whereas I openly hate Wisconsin, he should not. But the assumption you (and others) are making is that bias is his reason for voting the way he did. Maybe he's just not convinced they are one of the top 25 teams in the nation. Maybe he feels like the body of work by the other schools is more impressive. Maybe he just forgot to include them on his list after a hard night of drinking.

Regardless of how all the other AP voters vote, he has a legitimate right and obligation to vote however he feels the teams stack up. If that includes Wisconsin or not.

BTW, I fixed the typo in your post. :)

What a ridiculous thread. When the Gophers again re enter the top 25, will whiney Gopher fans complain about the vote for a Madison or Milwaukee based sports journalist? Highly doubt it unless it means a chance at the CFB who cares?

No one mentioned he works for the St. Paul Pioneer Press. You Gopher fans know but anyone that is not a Minnesota fan wouldn't! It really reflects poorly on him personally I think. Having a bias as a fan is fine, in fact it could be a requirement. Not so much for a journalist. After the Badgers beat Michigan Sat. It won't matter.

See post #4.

Who says he's biased? I disagree with Greder's take as I'd rank Wisconsin in the top 25 and no idea why he decided not to put them in there but if you think that Greder/the Pioneer Press are some sort of Gopher homers, then I don't really know what to tell you.

I wasn't aware that the AP ballot was part of a conformity contest. Does he get extra points if his ballot exactly matches the entirety of the poll? If he gets the most points, what is his prize?

The fan base that spent an entire season claiming that their loss to ASU was actually a win on their message board thinks their team is being underrated by a reporter? Shocking.

It was probably that big win over power BYU that just got blown out at home by Utah State. Lets face it, Wisconsucks.

Or maybe Andy didn’t believe they were a Top 25 team and deserves some apologies. He looks like the smartest guy in the room now. 23rd and dropping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish more voters did this. Seems that if a team wins they stay the same or move up in the polls. I think they need to drop if they squeak out a win against a weak opponent or if they lose. the polls should be chaotic in Sept, big ups and downs, but they just have the same 30 teams or so rotated thru. Wisc has a real bad loss at home. IA lost to a good Wisc team.

I agree. The problem with the polls though is there isn't a central statement that defines how people are supposed to vote.

Some voters will vote strictly on who they think the best teams in the nation are at that time. Some do this, but are more influenced by recent results, while some put more stock on the entire season. Some vote that a win is a win, and a loss is a loss, regardless of who it was against or how it occurred. Some put more stock in what they perceive a team's potential to be (where they will be at the end of the season), even if they've already had a couple losses. Many use their preseason polls as a baseline for way too long.

It's all very subjective and in the end you have often have a jumbled mess.

Top Bottom