VIDEO: Lindsay Whalen is adjusting into her new role as "coach"

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Gopher women's basketball coach Lindsay Whalen talked with the media about the first week of practice, adjusting to being a coach and the things she's taken from Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve to use in her program.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D29whbk7zFY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fJJPGiFhras" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For all the latest Gophers videos, be sure to subscribe to our Youtube channel.

During her Pitts discussion, Lindsay again mentions that Pitts playing the four would give space for Bell, Staples and Brunson to make plays. So, at present the starting lineup seems trending toward: Bell, Staples, Brunson, Pitts and T. Bello.

Thanks Daniel. Now that you are doing Lady Gophers Basketball, WBB is officially hot.

Let's see The Barn rocking like it's 2004 again! Can't wait!

I love Whalen. What a legend!!!

During her Pitts discussion, Lindsay again mentions that Pitts playing the four would give space for Bell, Staples and Brunson to make plays. So, at present the starting lineup seems trending toward: Bell, Staples, Brunson, Pitts and T. Bello.

She said “start her out at the three”. To me that probably means she’ll be the first backup 4, starting 3.

Elsewhere when they said “relying on Bello and Lamke to handle the post minutes”, didn’t they mean as starters side-by-side? I wish we had some good clarifying reporters. We have the same poor reporters as we have for the Lynx.

Once again, no mention of Hubbard. I was expecting her to be a big cog again this year. What’s going on? I know the reporters won’t bother asking. It’s like, Hubbard who? Has Hubbard really taken that big of a step back, or is Whalen favoring her first recruit? Just asking.... I suppose it’s possible Staples has the merit to leapfrog Hubbard, but it’s kind of surprising. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

I’ve been somewhat discouraged by what I’ve heard and read. The staff already seems discouraged by man defense and now are talking zone? Not what I wanted to hear. Let’s get this done. Stollings is gone.... let’s keep her gone and not fall back into ways of zone defense and 4 guard system. Hopefully another month of practice will result with a better direction than falling back to old ways.

Also, who will be the lead guard? If it’s not Bell, that will hurt her chances for landing and sticking in the WNBA... and Whalen should know that. Nobody wants a small SG at the WNBA level.

Last edited:

IIRC, Whalen mentioned that they have to be able to mix it between zone and MTM defense depending what their opponents give them.

There is a lot of expectations riding on her first season. I'd expect to see some stumbles along the way. It is a learning experience for the entire team. Hopefully, the players all embrace the change if they start winning. Reality will bring them down to earth that there is hard work and determination ahead of them. But, I think the Gophers have a coach that have a vision to bring championships.

As far as Hubbard is concerned, I think she will be a cog in the offense as the season progresses. She may not be a starter, but her minutes will prove valuable to the team. Not to worry. IMHO, you start the best player that will put the team in the best chance to win. I think Mercedes Staples at the moment showed a lot in practice. I don't think you want your highest rated recruit sitting on the bench.

Once again, no mention of Hubbard. I was expecting her to be a big cog again this year. What’s going on? I know the reporters won’t bother asking. It’s like, Hubbard who? Has Hubbard really taken that big of a step back, or is Whalen favoring her first recruit? Just asking.... I suppose it’s possible Staples has the merit to leapfrog Hubbard, but it’s kind of surprising. Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Another way of thinking is that Staples takes Wagner's spot. That translates into Brunson taking Hubbard's spot (probably because of defense and maybe speed). Then you have Bell, Staples, Brunson, and Pitts on the perimeter; but that means in a three point scoring era you're leaving an excellent three point shooter (Hubbard) on the bench. If Whalen plays four guards it's a minor issue. There's plenty of time for Hubbard. Still, as you said, It would have been a good question.

I still expect a four guard lineup to be the default.

Might not mean much, but hubbard started all three games on the Italy trip. I still feel starting five based off of that Italy trip and what we heard from coaches, starting five probably Bell, Hubbard, Pitts, Taiye and Lamke. Whalen said yesterday at press conference that Pitts will start at SF/3 spot. I don't think Brunson/Staples would start at the PF/4 spot. I see Brunson and Staples as the first two off Bench. Brunson as primary backup to Bell and Staples primary to Pitts or Hubbard depending on foul trouble, how the game is going. I feel Hubbard is a big strong guard who can shoot and take the contact big ten guards need to. Brunson off the bench because unless her 3-point shooting game takes a big step forward, her and bell are streaky and that leaves Pitts as only experienced 3-point shooting threat.

Another way of thinking is that Staples takes Wagner's spot. That translates into Brunson taking Hubbard's spot (probably because of defense and maybe speed). Then you have Bell, Staples, Brunson, and Pitts on the perimeter; but that means in a three point scoring era you're leaving an excellent three point shooter (Hubbard) on the bench. If Whalen plays four guards it's a minor issue. There's plenty of time for Hubbard. Still, as you said, It would have been a good question.

I still expect a four guard lineup to be the default.

I'm thinking the starting 5 will be Bell, Hubbard, Pitts, Bello, and Staples. It's possible that Staples may not start the first few games, but she should be able to work herself into the starting lineup early into the season. As others have pointed out, Brunson has not shown much ability to shoot threes. But she'll be able to contribute with her speed and her defense. I'm still viewing her as a player who is early off the bench. She play some with Bell, but she'll also replace Bell when Bell needs a rest or gets in foul trouble. I won't be shocked to see Lamke and Bello on the floor at the same time, but I don't think that often. The easy non-conference schedule, excluding Syracuse, should allow Whalen some time to experiment with different lineup combinations. I am hoping that she can settle on a starting lineup by the time the conference schedule rolls around. I never liked the musical chairs game that Stollings played with the post position last year.

I am sure the coaches will be like mad chemists early in the season. They'll get it all figured out by the regular B1G season play.

Top Bottom