Media Prediction Thread: Minnesota at Ohio State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
CFN is first out of the gate:

What’s Going To Happen
The Ohio State offense gets all the love, but this week will be about the defense.

The Buckeyes will be all over the Minnesota running game that’s done nothing since losing Smith, and Zack Annexstad will ruin anything positive with picks. He has given up six in the last two games with the passing attack needing to come through, and it’s not going to happen in Columbus, either.

Fearless Prediction & Line
Ohio State 44, Minnesota 13

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/10/ohio-state-vs-minnesota-fearless-prediction-game-preview

Go Gophers!!

I hate to correct CFN when they are on a roll, but Annexstad I think has 5 INTs in 2 games. The sixth one can be credited to Seth Green.

I'm not really worried about the interception stat after the last couple against Iowa. Those were a wing and a prayer, and I think a lesson was learned.

CFN is first out of the gate:

What’s Going To Happen
The Ohio State offense gets all the love, but this week will be about the defense.

The Buckeyes will be all over the Minnesota running game that’s done nothing since losing Smith, and Zack Annexstad will ruin anything positive with picks. He has given up six in the last two games with the passing attack needing to come through, and it’s not going to happen in Columbus, either.

Fearless Prediction & Line
Ohio State 44, Minnesota 13

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/10/ohio-state-vs-minnesota-fearless-prediction-game-preview

Go Gophers!!

Pretty bold prediction of tOSU covering their -29.5 pt spread with 1.5 to spare. Talk about lack of specific, credible info!

Athlon chimes in:

Final Analysis

Ohio State comes into this game a heavy favorite, as Minnesota has struggled with injuries to key players (Rodney Smith, Antoine Winfield Jr.), as well as offensive inconsistency. The Buckeyes want to rest several players who have been battling nagging injuries, while also giving key reserves valuable game experience. It will not be surprising if Dwayne Haskins only plays the first half, especially if the talented quarterback lights it up early as he has done this season.

Prediction: Ohio State 56, Minnesota 14

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...-vs-ohio-state-buckeyes-prediction-picks-2018

Go Gophers!!

BuckeyeGrove.com chimes in:

The equalizer will be the status of Jonathon Cooper and Malik Harrison, in terms of how many points the Ohio State defense will give up. I am just of the mindset of giving any team two touchdowns out of principle until the Ohio State defense figures out how to stop the big play, but I am not giving the Gophers much more than that in this one. Ohio State 52 Minnesota 17

Ross Fulton - Analyst

The Minnesota defense will likely provide the Ohio State offense another opportunity to address how they handle overloaded run fronts, particularly in short yardage. Look for Ohio State to try to throw the football more in those situations, before returning to getting the run game fully on-track. Ohio State 41 Minnesota 16

Marc Givler - Recruiting Analyst

On the other side of the ball, Dwayne Haskins and the passing game were on the money last week. The conditions will be colder on Saturday and less ideal than a week ago, but I think the offense will continue to put up big numbers and the Buckeyes will get off to a better start than they did a week ago. Ohio State 45 Minnesota 13

Andy Anders - Staff Writer

There's a detriment though... that defense simply doesn't force enough turnovers to beat a team with vastly superior talent like the Buckeyes. Their 1.6 a game is 57th nationally, which isn't bad, but it's not enough when the offense gives away 2.2 (-3 margin through five games ain't good, y'all). Ohio State 49 Minnesota 10

Cameron Thompson - Staff Writer

This will be a test for the Buckeye defense to put it together against an offense that really isn't that effective, while Dwayne Haskins and the Ohio State offense will go up against a Top-20 defense and look to keep rolling on a dominant pace. I think the Gophers hang in there for the first quarter and a half, but too much Haskins and an improving defensive effort with the Buckeyes winning comfortably. Ohio State 48 Minnesota 13

Kirk Barton - Former Team Captain/Staff Writer

Defensively, I look for our DL to continue to carry us and keep grinding along up front. Facing a giant true freshman at RT, I guarantee that we will dial up some exotics in the pressure and blitz game to get him confused and keep him from blocking the DE directly in front of him. We will have a giant edge there with whoever we have at DE, so that man need to win. Looking forward to see if we can limit the big plays as well, as it is a major issue and will only be amplified as we face teams with talent closer to ours. Luckily, Minnesota is not on our level, so we continue our survive and advance mode. Ohio State 42 Minnesota 14

Andrew Zoldan - Social Media Intern

The over under on this game is 60, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Buckeyes hit it themselves. For all you gamblers out there, I would absolutely take the over and be prepared for a ton of scoring from the Ohio State offense. Ohio State will easily cover the -29.5 spread as well. Ohio State 56 Minnesota 10

Fake Urban Meyer - @FakeUrban

At the end of the day, Zippy’s boat will likely sink in one of their state’s 10,000 lakes and Golden Gopher fans will harken for those glory days the team had under Coach Jerry Kill. Ohio State 55 Minnesota 10

https://ohiostate.rivals.com/news/staff-predictions-minnesota-4

Go Gophers!!

Ross Fulton appears to be the most non-dinkable of the bunch.

LandGrantHolyLand chimes in:

Summary
F/+ Projection: Ohio State 39, Minnesota 16

Win Probability: Ohio State 91.3%

Much like last week’s game, which saw the numbers predict a 39-18 Ohio State win, the Buckeyes should have little trouble against the Golden Gophers. This week could see Ohio State with a little crisper play, considering that they not only don’t have the hangover from the emotional Penn State win to deal with, but they’ll also have safety Isaiah Pryor available for the whole game. The Ohio State defense was noticeably better last week in the second half after Pryor finished serving his suspension.

Minnesota will give Ohio State a spirited battle, but they don’t have quite the horses that even Indiana has, so it is hard to see the Golden Gophers keeping things close for as long as the Hoosiers did. With the youth and injuries that P.J. Fleck’s crew is going through, Ohio State should be able to secure a big victory ahead of next week’s road showdown in primetime with Purdue.

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2...te-minnesota-2018-football-preview-prediction

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom