STrib: Gophers defense has struggled in Big Ten, but OSU coach calls it 'outstanding'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

As football coaches are wont to do, Ohio State’s Urban Meyer spent part of his Monday news conference praising the upcoming opponent. Specifically, he threw a bouquet to the Gophers defense.

“The best thing about [being] 6-0 is a chance to go 7-0 against a team that has a top 20 defense,’’ said Meyer, whose third-ranked Buckeyes (6-0, 3-0 Big Ten) are host to the Gophers (3-2, 0-2) on Saturday. He added, "Their defense is outstanding.''

Statistically, Meyer is close to being accurate about Minnesota’s defensive ranking. The Gophers are allowing 324.2 yards per game, which ranks 21st nationally in total defense. That ranking, however, was built on nonconference success, when the Gophers faced offenses that currently rank 123rd (New Mexico State), 118th (Miami of Ohio) and 74th (Fresno State) nationally. Things have changed with the start of the Big Ten season.

In consecutive losses to Maryland (42-13) and Iowa (48-31) to start Big Ten play, the Gophers have allowed an average of 426 yards per game, which ranks ninth in the Big Ten. They’re allowing 45 points per game in league play, and only Nebraska’s 46.3 is worse.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...but-osu-coach-calls-it-outstanding/495988631/

Go Gophers!!

per Randy:

As football coaches are wont to do, Ohio State’s Urban Meyer spent part of his Monday news conference praising the upcoming opponent. Specifically, he threw a bouquet to the Gophers defense.

“The best thing about [being] 6-0 is a chance to go 7-0 against a team that has a top 20 defense,’’ said Meyer, whose third-ranked Buckeyes (6-0, 3-0 Big Ten) are host to the Gophers (3-2, 0-2) on Saturday. He added, "Their defense is outstanding.''

Statistically, Meyer is close to being accurate about Minnesota’s defensive ranking. The Gophers are allowing 324.2 yards per game, which ranks 21st nationally in total defense. That ranking, however, was built on nonconference success, when the Gophers faced offenses that currently rank 123rd (New Mexico State), 118th (Miami of Ohio) and 74th (Fresno State) nationally. Things have changed with the start of the Big Ten season.

In consecutive losses to Maryland (42-13) and Iowa (48-31) to start Big Ten play, the Gophers have allowed an average of 426 yards per game, which ranks ninth in the Big Ten. They’re allowing 45 points per game in league play, and only Nebraska’s 46.3 is worse.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...but-osu-coach-calls-it-outstanding/495988631/

Go Gophers!!

324.2 is highly likely to go up after Saturday.

That is not the bulletin board material we were looking for Urban.

I remember all the praise for Brewster from other coaches too... I don't belive for a second that they actually thought he was doing a great job.

I remember all the praise for Brewster from other coaches too... I don't belive for a second that they actually thought he was doing a great job.

The defense under Ted Roof was pretty good in Brewster’s 2nd year. Well at least until 55-0...

OSU will be seepy seepy all week and be as interested in this game as they would going to the dentist. This game will feature us giving them 28 points on turn overs and special teams. Other than that they will be flat and we will look better than expected.

Well from their point of view he was fantastic and they truly wanted him to stay for another 20 years...

Its like how we all loved Riley at Nebraska. Did a great job!

The defense was outstanding for anyone that understands what they're watching. Iowa's #1 rusher averaged 2.3 yards a carry. Defense got picked apart in a soft-zone when they started throwing, but if the offense plays even slightly below average that's not a problem as most drives will stall out if you have to go more than 60 yards.

Only real issue was at safety. Defensive line, linebackers, and play-calling were all above average.

The Strib just looks at the box score; fail to see the **** punting and awful arm-punt of a passing game that Fleck put on the field last week.

You can't turn the ball over 4 times (not including twice? on downs) and then rip the defense for giving up yards.

Last edited:

The defense was outstanding for anyone that understands what they're watching. Iowa's #1 rusher averaged 2.3 yards a carry. Defense got picked apart in a soft-zone when they started throwing, but if the offense plays even slightly below average that's not a problem as most drives will stall out if you have to go more than 60 yards.

Only real issue was at safety. Defensive line, linebackers, and play-calling were all above average.

The Strib just looks at the box score; fail to see the **** punting and awful arm-punt of a passing game that Fleck put on the field last week.

You can't turn the ball over 4 times (not including twice? on downs) and then rip the defense for giving up yards.

Good to know I don't understand what I'm watching and that giving up >300 yards through the air and allowing >50% 3rd down conversion is playing good defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that you Robb?
We did slow their running game down, but Iowa made adjustments and threw the ball, which we couldn’t stop.
Giving up 48 points, 4 passing TD’s and over 400 yards of offense is NOT outstanding defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides the Maryland game...the defensive S&P+ number looks good. Obviously giving up 40+ points in conference play is really, really bad and the bend and break style is frustrating but have to believe some of that is personnel. I agree somewhat with laying some blame on the feet of the offense and special teams.

The offense is ranked 111th which is only marginally better than the 120th in 2017. Sure there are some individual positives (the receivers) but the overall production has been mediocre to poor. The weak O contributed to both conference losses.

With the addition of a functional blocking unit in Mt. Faalele I’m pretty optimistic we’re going to get noticeably better and soon.

Top Bottom