What's your gameplan against Ohio State?

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
If you were head coach, what's your strategy / plan for the game?

Dominate all facets of the game. Run the ball effectively, control the clock, take shots down field to keep defense off balance, don’t settle for FGs. You must own both lines of scrimmage, force them into 3rd and longs, don’t give up big plays.

Win the turnover battle. Don’t commit penalties. Special teams is key.

ask if it's OK to go running time in the second half.

Honestly, I see no chance for the Gophers to compete, let alone win. goal #1 is don't get anyone else hurt. go vanilla - run the ball and throw safe, short pass routes. Hope the defense and special teams can keep the score from getting too far out of hand.

this is one of those times when you just want to live to fight another day. there are winnable games coming up on the schedule. that should be the focus.

Run the triple option with occasional fullback dives and quick out passes. Seriously you have to show them something they never practice or play against, have Green run option and rest Annexstad so he doesn't get hurt. Control the clock and punt them in to poor field position. On defense blitz every down linebackers and safties. Create turnovers.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hope their bus breaks down.

Other then that, hope for inclement weather.

If none of those, play hard, and hope they piss the game away. Stranger things have happened (see Virginia Tech earlier this year).

I don't care about winning, because there is a 99.9% chance of that not happening. I'd like to see some competitiveness, some heart, some improvement. You show that against a stud team like this and I'm happy. You roll over and tuck your tail because it's tOSU and play like cowards and I have no respect. PJ isn't going to let this team act like that. Play hard, show some fire...are you still rowing that boat?

Sometimes, you’ve just got to play like you have a chance even if you might not. Don’t overthink things.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ek5DS2-Wgr0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OTOH, on a more serious note Penn State blitzed the hell out of Haskins and had great success making him uncomfortable. He’s still a young QB. Make him uncomfortable. Have to gamble.

On offense McSorley was able to scramble. I’d honestly play Morgan or Green and hope for the best. Run the real wildcat with a RB motioning across the formation. Green can dive, hand off, or hit the receiver (s). That’s probably the best strategy. Maybe they’re not prepared for a wildcat where the ball handler can actually throw. It’s the closest thing we have to the PSU offense.

Gamble and be creative on defense to apply pressure and force TOs, run the ball well and shorten the game. Play with energy and have an edge.

It's college football, and anything can happen (unless you're playing Alabama).

Last edited:

Put in Faalele and run to the right side 45 times.

Could we just play all the backups and heal the starters? Sort of like a bye week?

Drink heavily and forget everything that I see...

Could we just play all the backups and heal the starters? Sort of like a bye week?

Couldn’t agree more. Great idea. With one caveat. Don’t playone who isn’t ready mentally to get “ beat up” . Some players, after getting their lunch handed to them, turn on their position coaches as to technique, schemes, etc.

I'm just glad all you mother****ers aren't on my team.

What a loser mentality.

-Super bend, but don't break. Try to prevent large plays, make them take their chunks down the field, & hope to make stops in the red zone and make OSU kick a few field goals.
-Try to take advantage of some WR's that are singled up.
-Pass well, to allow to set up for the run. I don't think we can be a run first team, but I think the Gophers can be a little effective if they pass first to set up the run the rest of the way.

Try to just keep extending the game.....eventually, OSU will probably blow them out of the water, but try to make a few things early to extend the game & try to get the crowd a little restless. This may sound preposterous, but may be advantageous to be playing OSU on the road rather than home. If playing at TCF, OSU would probably be all business, Meyer would remind them about the 2014 trip up here, put their foot down on the gas, and it would be a 55 point game by the end of the 3rd quarter. A restless home crowd after a few plays our way may help some.

Still, I'm expecting a 25-40 point defeat.....just compete hard & hopefully stay healthy.

We need to stop the run like we did against Iowa and hope Haskins has a bad day.

I hope we run the ball a bit more, we ran the ball against Iowa and Iowa's defense is pretty impressive.

We need to stop the run.
We need Haskins to have a bad day.
We can't turn it over.

It's probably going to be ugly, but is the 2018 Gopher team WAY worse than the 2017 Iowa team? Occasionally, tOSU lays an egg against a lesser opponent, hopefully that's this week.

Get into the redzone, use the Statue of Liberty play. Onside kick at halftime. Pitch and reverse to the WR who'll throw it deep to the endzone a la Randle El.

I'm pretty sure I'll be giving Fleck a "C" at best after this week.

Top Bottom